Bandito
join:2003-01-23

Bandito

Is this a Shaw or router issue?

Belkin N600DB Wireless Router
Model F9K1102 v2
Firmware 2.10.17, 08/26/2013

Hello,

I have been noticing lately with the router connected that I am getting quite a bit of long "waiting....." status bar messages.

I have done speed and ping tests, everything is fine. There is not one particular site this happens more than the other. It is completely random.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet disconnected the router to troubleshoot as we are currently quite dependent on the router.

I am wondering if the long "waiting..." would this be a Shaw or router issue?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Which browser are you using? Can you try another?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Bandito

MVM

to Bandito
This could quite literally be anything at this point... to put it bluntly, you've identified an
issue, but are going to need to ALOT do more troubleshooting before coming to the conclusion
whether it's a "shaw issue" or a "router issue" ...or something else.

My 00000010bits, in addition to kevinds See Profile 's suggestion of changing browsers, and disconnecting
the router, do the following :

- record exact date / timestamps when "waiting..." happens. "Happening randomly" doesn't help you
or anyone else at this point; specifics are needed.

- record the exact URL(s) you are going to while this is happening. Again, "not one particular
site" doesn't help anyone at this point.

- record ping results to this exact URL -- you didn't mention what exactly you were pinging

- record a traceroute to said URL

- may also want to clear the cache / temp files as well

- try on another computer connected to the Belkin, does the problem follow? If it doesn't, it points
to an issue with the specific computer. If it does, then start working your way out to the Belkin,
and then to Shaw.

- if you know anyone in the neighborhood on Shaw, see if they're having the same problem at the same time
on the same URL(s).

If you're technically inclined, here's some deeper things to try :

- baseline your DNS server response. Switch over to alternate DNS servers as necessary. Here's one to try

- use wireshark or something like HTTPWatch to figure out exactly WHAT object(s) your browser is
waiting for. I've seen instances where some stupid background file is holding up the rest of page that
has nothing to do with the page content itself.

- keep some sort of persistent ping tests to your gateway and along the path -- smokeping comes to mind offhand.

- checking your signal levels to Shaw

My 00000010bits. Best of luck with things!

Regards

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999 to Bandito

to Bandito
I once had a issue with Avast where the exact thing would happen when plugging in a flash drive.
Bandito

Bandito to kevinds

to kevinds
No difference on the browser. I get the same results with IE 11, Chrome, FF, and Opera.
Bandito

Bandito to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
Randomly is simply the best and only way to describe it. Not sure how else to provide specifics: you're browsing the web and there is not one specific site that this happens too. It doesn't do it all the time.

As far as pinging goes, using different speedtest servers and pinging hasn't been an issue. Shaw tech support says things are fine from their end.

I've done some random DNS server tests and the results showed that the current SHaw servers perform the best.

I've done tests with Traceroute to sites that immediately given me this issue all perform well.

Unfortunately, in my experience, t's very uncommon for most people to even notice such an anomaly when surfing the web.

I tried smokepipe but my router is blocking it. Is smokeping different?

I'll try wireshark or HTTPWatch.

Both you and Jtl999, could be onto something here in the background holding things up. . I am thinking maybe my USB Speedboost drive? I'll try disconnecting it and see what happens. And then disconnect the BELKIN completely.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post back with my findings.
Bandito

Bandito to jtl999

to jtl999
Ok, so we can eliminate the flash drive. I disconnected it. I was on Google during a search for Google images. It took a very long time for the page to connect and load. I was using Chrome 35.0.1916.153 m

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

What security software (if any) are you running?
Bandito

Bandito

Actually no security software except for Private Firewall. I have other apps I run every few days to ensure I have no malware or spyware.

I disconnected my BELKIN Router. I am blown away how snappy my browsing is and webpages load.

I know it's been only a few minutes, but the difference is definitely noticeable. I guess it's my router. I will ask Costco if they will allow me to return the router.....I now think it's the culprit.

However, my slow backup DLINK router often stops working after a few minutes. I don't have another router to go to and I dont want to pay a fortune for one either. I think Shaw will let me use one of theirs for free, if not mistaken. IS theirs any good?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by Bandito:

IS theirs any good?

Not really, but it should be acceptable for your needs, should be free, but depends on how your account is setup
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to Bandito

MVM

to Bandito
said by Bandito:

Randomly is simply the best and only way to describe it. Not sure how else to provide specifics: you're browsing the web and there is not one specific site that this happens too. It doesn't do it all the time.

I work helpdesk and one of my petpeeve adjectives users use is "randomly." My point is if you get into the
habit of keeping date/timestamps, a) it lets the ppl working on it know exactly WHEN to check into things,
and b) may help see if there's a discernable pattern to a problem or not.
said by Bandito:

As far as pinging goes, using different speedtest servers and pinging hasn't been an issue. Shaw tech support says things are fine from their end.

Okay, but the speedtest server isn't where you're trying to browse through and having the problem. To use
a medical analogy, if your stomach aches, you DON'T want the doctor to examine your arm. That's why I
suggested pinging specifically to the URL having the problem; a tracert identifies exactly how your computer's
going to get to it, so pinging the hops along the way is part of helping figure out whether it's you or shaw.
said by Bandito:

I tried smokepipe but my router is blocking it. Is smokeping different?

Never heard of smokepipe before, smokeping IIRC is more tailored for this sort of "what path is it taking and
what does pings along the path look like" troubleshooting.

I'd also see if you can run an extended time without the belkin -- I've worked enough issues sometimes what
seems like a fix is just a bandaid, or worse doesn't fix anything.

Do you have a friend you could borrow a router for a few days or so, just as a thought?

My 00000010bits

Regards
Bandito

Bandito

Yeah, I know what you mean when people use the term RANDOM, it can drive someone at a helpdesk bonkers. In my case, it truly IS random. lol. No specific time, with or without any apps open but the browser.

In general, regardless what router I used (they are all under the $60 mark) there has been a performance hit compared without a router. With my current issue, it happens even with my portable devices and not just with my desktop when connected directly to the router.

The Belkin, when brand new was a bit of an exception. There was a wee bit of a performance hit in terms of browsing and "snappy" feel but it was insignificant. From what others told me (in person), my symptoms tend to typically be caused by a dying router.

I am now using an unhacked Dlink DI-524 Rev C. It'll start to act up within the next day or two. It was great when for a long time, then it just starts dying with simple connection drops.

My mistake, my eyes are failing me. In fact there is no smoke pipe. I always called it that here. It's SMOKE PING and I can't run it when connected to any router. I can only do so directly connected to my Shaw SB5100.

Since Shaw will rent me the modem for free (long time customer) I'll see how that router goes. I dont have anyone I know who can spare a working router.
said by kevinds:

said by Bandito:

IS theirs any good?

Not really, but it should be acceptable for your needs, should be free, but depends on how your account is setup

Hmm. That doesn't sound too encouraging. lol.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Compared to the $60 range routers, it will be good
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to Bandito

MVM

to Bandito
said by Bandito:

it happens even with my portable devices and not just with my desktop when connected directly to the router.

...okay, as I said, you're now looking at the Belkin and further upstream in terms of troubleshooting.

Crazy question, but does giving the Belkin or the DLINK a reboot help the problem in anyway? IIRC, the DLINK
is quite old, but I forget when the Belkin was released.

Regards
Bandito

Bandito to kevinds

to kevinds
said by kevinds:

Compared to the $60 range routers, it will be good

I was going to pick up the Shaw Router/modem when it dawned on me that I'd have to contact Shaw everytime I want to bridge the router. In these cases of troubleshooting, I wouldn't be able to connect directly to the router. I'd have to call Shaw each time. Now, I am wondering if I should invest in a better router?
Bandito

1 edit

Bandito to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

Crazy question, but does giving the Belkin or the DLINK a reboot help the problem in anyway? IIRC, the DLINK
is quite old, but I forget when the Belkin was released.
Regards

Lol. Heck no. Both allow manual rebooting. The Dlink is simply too old, it just loses a connection after a few hours of use. The Belkin is just over a year old. Bought at Costco. However, I believe the Belkin model is around 3 years old (released in 2011).
Bandito

1 edit

Bandito

Well, I got the Shaw Router/Modem: DPC3825 Docsis 3. It's a real POS.

While I have decent speeds via desktop, it is super slow on wireless devices. I get a measly 3-7 Mbps when I should get over 20 Mbps.

Additionally, the dude at Shaw where I picked up the modem/router said (which nobody has mentioned this until now) is that the router issue I was experiencing is likely due to interference or congestion with the radio channels and the auto switching of channels. This makes perfect since we are in a very heavily populated condo/hi-rise area. However, I do believe my Belkin router is also partly to blame as well.

I was going to return the modem, but then I realized Shaw can bridge the modem. So, they did just that. Now my wireless speeds are back to where they should be in the 20+ Mbps.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Yeah, the DPC3825 makes a great modem when bridged.

-Have two of them here with me
Bandito

Bandito

Apparently Shaw rolled out a new Motorola wifi modem for some new (lucky) customers. I'd like to try it out.....I still have the router issues above, but oddly not as frequent.