All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul to NormanS

to NormanS

Re: [ipv6] 6to4 or 6in4 - which do you use?

I probably wouldn't have used it anyway because I need realtime readout of throughput per IP connected as well as the ability to put my hosts file there. Anyway, Shibby has 7 choices including 6in4 and 6rd. I just can't get it to work. So either I'm missing something (other than a brick) or this particular hardware and firmware combination is missing something. I've followed several howtos and think I've got it figured out. Still no luck.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev

Premium Member

said by Ole Juul:

...I need realtime readout of throughput per IP connected...

Just a note that Tomato's IP throughput graphs are only IPv4 and don't show anything IPv6-related on them. Don't know if that's a limitation of the system used or what, but I've never seen an IPv6 address displayed on the graphs.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to Ole Juul

MVM

to Ole Juul
6to4 uses an IPv4 "Anycast" relay at 192.88.99.1. This is automatically routed to the nearest (in terms of BGP "nearness") IPv6 relay to you. This IP address is preconfigured in my ASUS RT AC66U.

Both 6in4 and 6rd use a specific IPv4 IP address for the specific tunnel provider. You also need to know your assigned IPv6 prefix.

In setting up my tunnels, I have to enter:

• IPv6 prefix
• IPv6 prefix length
• Tunnel provider's IPv4 Border Router IPv4 address.

There is also a "Tunnel MTU" to consider; though my router appears to handle that automatically when I leave that field blank.