how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Valerie

join:2013-03-14
Neillsville, WI

Teen Bedroom Design

Hi people! I would like to ask for your suggestions if what paint color can I use for my daughter's room. She told me a week ago that she wants to change the paint color of her room that suits her age, so I wonder what color to choose.
Any replies are highly appreciated. Thanks!

NS4683

join:2000-08-25
South Amboy, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Black is nice. Really shows that teenage angst.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

4 recommendations

reply to Valerie

I'm thinking you should ask her to go with you and pick the colors.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to Valerie

»www.houzz.com/teenage-girl-room-colors

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to Valerie

... What color does your daughter like? That'd be a good place to start.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to Valerie

Buy a few gallons of this:

»www.ideapaint.com/products/ideapaint

Put it up (do it when you can vent the house, it stinks) and call it a 4 day ordeal.

delegated

@50.138.50.x
reply to Valerie

let her decide.
what's the worst that can happen? if new color wrong anyhow, just repaint again.
delegate the whole job. let her get the $4. plastic dropcloth, the $14 roller kit, and the brush for the corner parts the roller cant get.
good practice not just for dirty work but good practice clean work organizing and decision making, and even profit/loss calculations.

general hints:
go through the house magazines websites to see examples of colors. just like clothes, each season has the new style trends in colors, décor, which the magazines etc present.

play with the computer programs or photoshop that let you alter room décor colors.

colors generally turn out DARKER than the sample color papers,

a gallon covers about 10' x 20'. depending on texture and if you want a second coat. so a normal 15x15 room would take about two gallons.

matte is generally used for walls, gloss for the door window etc trims. gloss is used for the parts that get touched cause they get dirty, and gloss is easier to clean.

if you have white ceilings, a can of matching white spray paint, used with a sharp edge cardboard or similar, covers lots of detail errors quickly.

the stores often have returned paint, in assorted odd colors, substantially cheaper than custom mixed.

psiu

join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Valerie

I like the idea the poster above has, delegate it out, assist her with HER choice and her paint job. Help with the things she may forget (dropcloths over things, primer, etc) and assuming she has never done this, she will learn a skill and start to say "oh crap, this what being a grown up is like?" as she balances working 40 hours at McDonalds to save for college this summer, trying to go out with friends, AND squeeze in a home repair project?!

Cliff Notes: you got 99 problems but her room color ain't one of them.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Valerie

If you don't let her pick the color she's never going to like it!
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to Valerie

We let our 15 yo son pick his bedroom color, even bought some of the little sample colors for him to try out on the walls. Ended up with a cool gray that looks very nice and he's really happy with it.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Valerie

I will add to the chorus that is saying, more or less, that a bunch of middle-aged men really have no clue what color a teen girl would want. (Except NS4683, who may or may not be a middle-aged man.) My niece wanted black paint. That got vetoed but she got black linens, etc.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Valerie

Ask her what color she would like?

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to NS4683

My office at home is painted flat black. It turned out way better than I expected.