Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

devicemanage
Premium
join:2002-03-16
Chalfont, PA

i7 4930k thoughts?

Im looking to do a pc upgrade, currently run 1st generation i7 that seems to be holding it's own but would like to upgrade. I'm trying to decide if this 6 core processor on older chipset would be faster than a 4 core processor on the new chipsets? I don't do much gaming but I do some virtualization and testing at home, maybe 2 vms at most. I would love to hear your thoughts, I'm not opposed to AMD either but have read some reviews about cooling.
--
»www.devicemanager.net

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
"I'm trying to decide if this 6 core processor on older chipset would be faster than a 4 core processor on the new chipsets?"

I know I'm stating the obvious but I'll do so anyway as I have no way of knowing the answer to the following and maybe it will help clarify things for you:
How often are you fully utilizing all 4 cores now? Haswell cores aren't a big advance over ivy bridge but they are better on a per core basis so it entirely depends on how much you could really use the additional 2 cores. The chipset differences are probably irrelevant. As you already have an i7 quad, even though it's older, I wouldn't move to an amd setup.

Just decide whether you can take enough advantage of 6 cores to justify the higher cost.

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
reply to devicemanage
Do you have an SSD in your machine, and how much RAM?

If your heavy lifting on your computer is virtualization, an SSD will give you a much bigger performance kick then a faster CPU.
--
How lucky am I to have known someone who is so hard to say good-bye to.

devicemanage
Premium
Chalfont, PA
reply to devicemanage
My i7 920 is under 10-15% utilization with spikes to 25% under single vm usage on 500gb ssd drive and 12 gb ram. The computer is also my everyday pc so memory is currently close to maxed out.

Looking to upgrade and know ssd drive and # of cores are more important that ghz for the vms. Looking to go with 16-24 gb ram and adding another ssd drive. Just having trouble making a decision between spending $500 on a 6 core cpu or $300 on a 4 core. I look at it like I there will be added gains without a doubt but I will be on an older chipset where as the new chipsets have faster hdd transfer rates...
--
»www.devicemanager.net

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
It doesn't really sound like you are having serious performance issue now. If not then you might just stick with it until you absolutely have to upgrade.

Having said that, the upcoming successor to the current Ivy Bridge-E Core i7 4930K you cited will be available (presumably) in the fourth quarter of this year. The Haswell-E / X99 / LGA2011-3 lineup will supposedly have an entry level 6 core processor. Traditionally the entry level of the trifecta comes in at about ~$300 USD (typically less at Microcenter).

So the release should be as follows (prices and full specs not released yet):

Core i7 5960X - 8 cores 16 threads - ~$1000 USD
Core i7 5930K - 6 cores 12 threads - ~$550 USD
Core i7 5820K - 6 cores (likely 12 threads) - (likely ~$300 USD)

In all likelihood though, X99 (the new chipset) / LGA2011-3 (the new socket / pin config) motherboards will likely cost more then LGA1150 boards and the new DDR4 RAM will likely cost more then DDR3 too.

So, to answer your question, there will be an upgrade to the older X79 / C600 platform you were considering and it will bring a cheaper 6 core processor presumably with better performance per cycle:

»Intel Core i7 "Haswell-E" Processor Lineup Detailed

We might see something as early as September but it could be a bit later.

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
reply to devicemanage
I agree with Octavean's post on performance.

If you are just looking for more cores, an AMD 8350 is a nice piece for $179 on Newegg. However I doubt you will see any real benefit from more cores unless you are allocating multiple CPUs to the VM's and they are truly utilizing them. A faster 4 core chip is probably a better choice for you then a slower 6+ core chip.

My guess is your 920 (like mine) is sitting in a motherboard that only has SATA 2, not 3. If your SSD supports 3 you might see a bump during boot or large file transfers but you won't notice much in the way of operational improvements.

With your 12GB of RAM, are you consistently maxed out in utilization, or just can't add more and are running fine as you currently are?
--
How lucky am I to have known someone who is so hard to say good-bye to.

bigaction

@69.118.94.x
reply to devicemanage
ghz means pretty much nothing...

IPC is where it is at...

That is how 3.4ghz p4's were losing to amd cpu that were like half the clock speed... they did more work per clock (ipc)

Cores only matter if enough threads are there to use them all...

Now I ran a few VMs under VMware mostly to get around account limitations in games (yes I had games running in the VM) so I don't have much experience in them BUT check to see if they are using more than one core, if not, IPC will be king for 1-2... if so... well I think you need ram more than CPU power it sounds like anyway.

The sata ports will only matter if you you get a drive (like an ssd as you said) that will use the speed.

That being said, yes SSDs are nice, PC boots fast... once everything is loaded into memory, your RAM is idk how many times faster than your SSD... RAM > SSD

You don't want to page.

So from what you said I would look at it like this.

RAM > SSD(check you sata speed vs ssd speed) > CPU

Not to mention if you hold off... ddr4 and like a ton of other things I think are only what a year or two out?

devicemanage
Premium
Chalfont, PA
reply to devicemanage
Wow lots of great info here - thank you very much. I guess it comes down to me just adding more memory to my current system to handle another vm. Holding off until the next intel cpus come out probably makes sense because the current will be cheaper.
--
»www.devicemanager.net

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:13
My i7-920 is sitting pretty with 24 GB of ram and an SSD, working as a VM machine for my wife. AFAIK she doesn't have much of an issue but her requirements aren't very high.

It does sound like you just need more speed, in which case an i7-4790K (Haswell refresh, quad core/eight thread, 4.0 GHz base, LGA 1150) would be a good option, which comes out next Wednesday: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 19117369

Or you could wait the three-to-six months for Haswell-E and get a 6 core/12 thread chip. At this point I wouldn't get Ivy Bridge-E, since it is so close to being superceded, as Octavean said.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Morris0

join:2011-05-14
kudos:1
reply to devicemanage
For virtualization cores are king and lots of ram is also going to go a long way.

I've got a I7-4930k, 24-GB RAM at home and at work an I7-4770k. When both had 8-GB of RAM, the 4930k was a bit faster when running multiple apps, when i upgraded the RAM all i can say is wow, I can encode video and run Photoshop and don't feel the video encode running in background.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

1 edit
reply to devicemanage
never mind delete