spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Sempf
@76.181.24.x

Sempf

Anon

Zywall USG 20 and the Liftmaster 828LM Gateway

I'm trying to get a LiftMaster 828LM Internet Gateway working with my Zyxel 20, and for some reason it just repeats the DHCP cycle over and over - request IP, assign IP, confirm IP, wash, rinse, repeat.

The Chamberlin support tech suggested that I increase UDP timeout to 180 seconds, which I have done, and make sure the firewall isn't blocking UDP Port 80. I fixed the timeout via the CLI, but I am not sure what needs to be changed to assure that UDP 80 is open through the firewall.

Has anyone used that Liftmaster gateway? Any thoughts on that UPD port 80?

Thanks!

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

Is our USG on latest firmware? »ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/ZyWALL_USG ··· irmware/
...there were some DHCP issues in previous firmware releases

sempf
@76.181.24.x

sempf

Anon

I was using 3.30 BDQ.2 and upgraded to BDQ.5. No change in the result though. Request, offer, ack, every 10 seconds.

S

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

Do a packet capture of that and let's see where the issue is.

sempf
@76.181.24.x

sempf

Anon

POINT--packe···.cap.zip
1,849,526 bytes
From the LAN
wan1--packet···.cap.zip
1,855,964 bytes
From the Internet
I can do that.

Thanks for the help - I have no idea what I am looking at here.

S

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

What's your topology exactly? Which device is in front of which? Is the first device in bridge or NAT mode?

sempf
@76.181.24.x

sempf

Anon

Well, coming in from the wall there is Time Warner Coax to a Motorola Surfboard modem. Ethernet out of that into the Zywall. The Liftmaster Gateway is plugged directly into the Zywall. The Zywall is the DHCP/NAT server.

Does that help?

There is also an Asus Wireless Access Point, but DHCP is turned off, and it is downstream from the Zywall.

S

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

Hmm, can't really tell from the logs. Is there a chance to assign a static IP to the Liftmaster? If so, does it work then?
Is there a firmware upgrade for the Liftmaster perhaps?

I'm not aware of any such bugs with USG DHCP, not saying that there isn't one, but I'm more leaning towards an issue on Liftmaster side.

sempf
@76.181.24.x

sempf

Anon

I am with you on that, although it works just fine (this very unit) on a Netgear and D-Link gateway. So something fishy is going on.

Thanks for all of your help! I learned a bunch.
sempf

sempf to Brano

Anon

to Brano
Geez, I didn't answer your questions.

No, there is no way to get a static IP. It is all hardcoded to use DHCP (boo his).

I will ask about a firmware upgrade - I could take it to my dad's and use his router to hook up the Liftmaster, and then flash it from there.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

Is you USG handing out DHCP or is it acting as DHCP relay? I wasn't sure I got the info from the captures.
What's your USG IP?

sempf
@76.181.24.x

sempf

Anon

The USG is the DHCP server. It is at 192.168.240.1

S
gb5102
join:2003-10-07
Saint Paul, MN

gb5102 to Sempf

to Sempf
I wonder if this is some type of autonegotiation issue? I once had an old pos Intel NAS with 10/100 NIC that would refuse to communicate when plugged directly into a gigabit port on USG50, solved by plugging it into a 10/100 switch. I have also run into a few other issues over the years between the zywalls and different network devices which were fixed by disabling/bypassing autonegotiation.

Do you have a 100mb ethernet switch handy? Or a cat5e patch cable with only pins 1, 2, 3, 6 terminated(this will 'force' a 10/100 connection)? Can also disable autonegotiation via the Zywall's CLI.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano to sempf

MVM

to sempf
This seems to be beyond my limited understanding of DHCP. The capture file shows that the client Liftmaster sends DHCP DISCOVER, server responds with OFFER, then Liftmaster sends DHCP REQUEST ...all good until now. Here is where Liftmaster sends new DISCOVER just before server sends ACK to previous handshake. ...I'm not sure which side is at fault.

BTW the client asks for 192.168.240.103 and server offers it back.

Can you post screenshot from your LAN config? The entire config page including DHCP and advanced config.

sempf
@76.181.24.x

sempf to gb5102

Anon

to gb5102
That's an interesting idea. I'll give that a try.

S
sempf

sempf to Brano

Anon

to Brano
Brano, I am using what I have learned here to work with the Liftmaster tech support folk and see what I can figure out. I'll report back with what I learn there.

S
claykin
join:2003-08-22
Fort Lauderdale, FL

claykin to Sempf

to Sempf
I have an 828LM on my USG50. Aside from the occasional "gateway cannot be reached" message I get in the Android app, it works OK. The LED is solid green and seems to always stay solid green.

Have you tried a new Cat5e cable?

sempf
@76.181.24.x

sempf

Anon

I had NOT tried a new cable, but nothing different. Just asks for and receives an IP ten times a second.

Did you make any changes to the default firewall? I added UDP port 80 based on their tech support's request, but nothing. Liftmaster and Zycel have no ideas at all.
claykin
join:2003-08-22
Fort Lauderdale, FL

claykin

No changes. Just worked out of the box. At least it does most of the time. I do get Gateway cannot be reached every so often. I figure thats not on my end.