All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Cronk
join:2005-07-16

Cronk

Microsoft EMET

I am thinking about trying MS EMET for its additional protections. Does anyone have any experience with it or thoughts about it, I am particularly concerned about the possibility that it may have compatibility issues with some software.

Thanks

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

1 recommendation

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

All I know is everytime I think about installing it requires NET FRAMEWORK 4..............so I don't .
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned) to Cronk

to Cronk
Here we go: "EMET won't pop up and ask you questions, so it's a set-it-and-forget-it solution once you set it up. Here's how to secure more applications with EMET and fix them if they break." .....[ »www.howtogeek.com/191230 ··· th-emet/ ]
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to Cronk

to Cronk
If it's beneficial and free of charge why isn't it included in widows update? Why does it require the user to seek it out themselves?
Cronk

Cronk

said by DarkSithPro:

If it's beneficial and free of charge why isn't it included in widows update? Why does it require the user to seek it out themselves?

From the research I've done it seems to create problems by conflicting with applications. In a Brian Krebs article, he suggests adding your applications to it one at a time and then using the computer for a while to see if it creates issues. So I guess it is not quite ready for prime time, but with all the threats out there now, I am considering trying it.
Cronk

Cronk to 85160670

to 85160670
said by 85160670:

Here's how to secure more applications with EMET and fix them if they break." .....[ »www.howtogeek.com/191230 ··· th-emet/ ]

That's a good source of info, especially the part about the "Audit Only" mode. Thanks

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to 85160670

to 85160670
> once you set it up.

And therein lies the Parad0X.
I installed it about a month ago, but have never actually looked at it, much less would I even understand what I'm looking at, until I actually go about reading about it, which I have not done (yet?).

So just what have I accomplished?

(And yes, I agree about .NET4 too.)

Norb
join:2001-03-25
Lost

Norb to Cronk

to Cronk
Here's a basic how to that may help a little and get you started.

»www.howtogeek.com/190590 ··· it-emet/

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

All I know is everytime I think about installing it requires NET FRAMEWORK 4..............so I don't .

Yup that is a requirement... for a lot of software too. And?

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

trparky

Premium Member

God guys, you and your fear of .NET. I'll never understand it.
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned) to Cronk

to Cronk
My pleasure & here another fact "Only one cash prize went unclaimed at Pwn2Own 2014. All major browsers were hacked, but hackers were unable to claim the $150,000 grand prize for hacking IE 11 secured with EMET. Secure your own PC with EMET today.".......[ »www.howtogeek.com/190590 ··· it-emet/ ]

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
What fear?

Net is a garbage utility and it'll never be installed on my machines............

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

It's not a utility, it's a programming framework for other programs to use. Perfectly harmless. A number of programs out there need .NET including my programs and several others as well.

For instance, if you have an ATi/AMD graphics card you need .NET for their Catalyst software.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

said by trparky:

It's not a utility, it's a programming framework for other programs to use. Perfectly harmless. A number of programs out there need .NET including my programs and several others as well.

For instance, if you have an ATi/AMD graphics card you need .NET for their Catalyst software.

Which sucks with AIO's that don't upgrade their special gpu drivers. New Framework with outdated drivers= BSOD.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
Ahaha! I have no problems with .NET and have every version released installed on my PC. I have too many programs that need it. But I'm pretty sure you can install an ATi/AMD graphics driver without the need for .NET. You just install the video driver without the Catalyst interface. It's the interface that requires .NET not the graphics card or driver.
Cronk

2 edits

Cronk

I see that i already have .Net 4.5 installed. Seems that it comes with Windows 8 »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· indows-8

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Most modern versions of Windows (Windows 7, 8, 8.1) already come with at the very least, .NET 4.0. Windows XP is the only one that doesn't come with new versions of .NET and if you are running Windows XP... what the hell are you doing still running that piece of shit? Upgrade already!