spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rugo32

join:2014-04-01
Moorhead, MN

Possible monopoly at my apartment building?

I live in a 127 unit apartment building (Moorhead, MN) where I can't figure out why there are such slim pickings for ISPs.
I do have a couple DSL options, but Cable One is the only internet service in this building and I wonder why this is. Could it be possible that there is some sort of monopoly Cable One has established with my apartment landlords, or am I being a "conspiracy theorist"? Thanks for enlightening me.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

This is common in multi-unit dwellings. The unit contracts with a provider for the entire building or complex. Part of the reason for this is cabling. Imagine each unit having two cable connections and the one you use would depend on the cable company you selected. In the future, this is something that you ask about before you sign the lease.

Normally for Internet you have two options, cable or DSL. The same runs for television, cable or Dish (if you have a southern facing unit)
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21

1 recommendation

reply to rugo32

It's also entirely possible that your city/town only has one cable provider that offers service. I have rarely lived in a location with more than one cable choice.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to rugo32

Almost no where in the US is there more than one cable offering at the same street address. Over building is not profitable.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

Agreed, I'd seen areas where there were multiple providers covering the same city (Tucson has Cox in the city limits and Comcast in the county areas) but until I moved to my current location I had never seen multiple providers at the same address. I suspect that's mostly because a different cable company bought the local telephone company, that's about the only way I can see that being worth it.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to rugo32

Cable companies make deals with the town. There will never be Cablevision and Comcast in one town for example.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18

I guess I'm lucky in a way. I have a choice...TWC, AT&T Uverse, or Wowway. (Home)
--
I Live In My Own World, But It's OK.....They Know Me There.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

said by CCat:

I guess I'm lucky in a way. I have a choice...TWC, AT&T Uverse, or Wowway. (Home)

You will see TWC and ATT or TWC and Fios because once is cable and one is fiber.
--
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God,
then we will be a nation gone under."

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
reply to guppy_fish

Funnily enough, until recently I ran with Time Warner and HTC (local Telco) cable modems simultaneously at my house. Even watched them put in the cable for Time Warner.

Guess we're the exception here.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA
reply to rugo32

We've got three cable providers here thankfully

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to rugo32

My metro area has 2 cable providers. New subdivisions, residential and business, get wired for both. There has been some over building in older areas. Just how much overlap there is, I don't know.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to rugo32

I'm going off of NJ. Different areas have different regulations

Boooost

@151.190.40.x
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

There will never be Cablevision and Comcast in one town for example.

Never say never. My town is served by both Cablevision and Comcast (although in separate, non-overlapping areas).

Boooost

@151.190.40.x
reply to Jackarino

P.S. I'm in NJ.

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
reply to guppy_fish

said by guppy_fish:

Almost no where in the US is there more than one cable offering at the same street address. Over building is not profitable.

Not sure where you get your info from or where you live, but where I'm at we have AT&T, Comcast, and WoW running past every home. I get junk mail begging me to switch all the time.

And it's not a one-off. This is fairly common in more populated areas.
--
»www.twentyfirstsummer.com

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

said by mocycler:

Not sure where you get your info from or where you live, but where I'm at we have AT&T, Comcast, and WoW running past every home. I get junk mail begging me to switch all the time.

What is WoW? You are correct that many areas have AT&T as well as a Cable provider but that's basically comparing apples to oranges. AT&T is fiber with the last mile being copper in most cases whereas cable providers normally are combination of fiber and coax. The copper for AT&T in many places is mandated by state regulations so they take advantage of it and offer other services. We have AT&T and Time Warner here in Louisville. What few if any areas have is to true cable companies providing service to the same address. You probably also don't have that unless WoW is a true cable provider which I'm betting it isn't.
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to rugo32

I have 2 choices for cable internet and together. Comcast and Rainier Connect. Rainier Connect has about 1/3 of what Comcast offers
--
Caddy

OldCableGuy3

@207.191.193.x
reply to drslash

@drslash

Before 2008 ImOn had built over about 56% of the town of Cedar Rapids

If you figured the whole metro area, it was lower around 30%

After the flood they lost a good amount of subscribers. I believe their build out is just now approaching what it was, and they've done considerable build out since 2010.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

What is WoW?

»www.wowway.com/home-map

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

said by mocycler:

What is WoW? You are correct that many areas have AT&T as well as a Cable provider but that's basically comparing apples to oranges. AT&T is fiber with the last mile being copper in most cases whereas cable providers normally are combination of fiber and coax. The copper for AT&T in many places is mandated by state regulations so they take advantage of it and offer other services. We have AT&T and Time Warner here in Louisville. What few if any areas have is to true cable companies providing service to the same address. You probably also don't have that unless WoW is a true cable provider which I'm betting it isn't.

Then you'd lose that bet. There are cable companies that overbuild like Wow and RCN that are 'true cable providers' that have their own infrastructure, their own headends and directly compete with larger providers like Comcast and TWC for the same customers. And we're not talking small areas. One of RCNs territory is the NYC area where they directly take on TWC and Cablevision. Wow directly competes with Comcast in the Chicago area. Hell, there are even some areas outside of Dallas, TX where Verizon is the ILEC and AT&T is the CLEC and residents have the choice between Fios on UVerse.
--
Phil Robertson/Ted Nugent 2016
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA! - Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal 0bamacare Now!/Marriage = Man + Woman

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

WOW doesn't compete with Comcast, they blow them away. As soon as WOW was available to my house I switched, it took over five years for my WOW bill to get to what my Comcast bill was when I left. WOW would just send free pay for view credits when the service went down, even if you didn't call and complain. They were a much better company to deal with than Comcast. Unfortunately I moved out of their area and haven't had any choice other than Comcast and AT&T DSL since.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to mocycler

We get stuff to switch to uverse all of the time for the past 2+ years. We cant actualy GET uverse however, even though it is available the next street over.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

What is WoW? You are correct that many areas have AT&T as well as a Cable provider but that's basically comparing apples to oranges.

WoW =Wide Open West. And yes, they are an actual cable company.

Apples or oranges doesn't really matter. I have uVerse. They charge about the same as all the rest. I turn on the TV and it works. I pick up the phone and it works. I have a 18 mb internet connection (that consistently tests at 21 mb) and it works.

I, like most consumers, just want service that works at a competitive price and don't care about how it gets here or what the background politics are. If they can cram HDTV and 18 mb internet down two tin cans and a string, then I'm ok with that.

All TV/internet/phone companies are available much anywhere in the area. Every sports bar in this town has service from at least two and sometimes three providers for redundancy, so the place won't empty out if service fails in the middle of a big game.
--
»www.twentyfirstsummer.com

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by mocycler:

don't care about how it gets here or what the background politics are.

So your saying you prefer to be a uneducated consumer? To each their own I guess, but some of those differences aren't just political, but service effecting. I agree that comparing ATT with WOW or other companies is valid, but I don't think you should just blindly choose based on price. ATT is fiber based that uses a device to then create a cable signal for TV's. Im pretty sure they require the use of some kind of receiver for each TV which would make wiring a apartment complex impractical. And I think thats where the "apple and oranges" comment came in.

But more on topic, its possible, and even likly that the landlord has worked out some kind of deal with the provider. Usually service contracts are exchanged for lower monthly rates and free/reduced installation cost. This is common IMO for larger complexes and condominiums. Its just like how you agree to a service contract for a reduced price on your cell phone. Now if your landlord DIDNT have a agreement with the provider and was charging you for cable, then that could be something shadey. Its a form of service subletting and most providers ToS have rules against it. How often those rules are enforced is a different thing all together though.