MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to TheAgent007

MVM

to TheAgent007

Re: FiOS Modem/Router w/ Linksys EA6700

said by TheAgent007:

Thanks for your patience I think I get it now. I'm not sure how we went from the Actiontec having just one "WAN port" to it now have "both WAN ports".

1) Yes, there is one coax input, but we've talked about both MOCA LAN and MOCA WAN. Both operate over the same coax, but on different freqencies. MOCA WAN is used to talk to the ONT (if your WAN is provisioned for coax) and MOCA LAN is used to talk to the STBs (if you have FIOS-TV with VZ STBs).
said by TheAgent007:

There have been reports of xbox not working as well when connected to the secondary LAN as if it's connected to the primary LAN.

I would question that statement. In a LAN-to-LAN configuration there should be no difference in which router the Xbox is connected to. The secondary router becomes just a switch and a WAP.
said by TheAgent007:

And with Option 2 you're saying that the "primary router" is the Actiontec and NOT the Linksys?

The primary router is always the router with the WAN port connected to the ONT (except for FAQ option #5 which I do not recommend).
said by TheAgent007:

In which case that is why I would look to Option 6?

Yes.
TheAgent007
join:2014-06-17

TheAgent007

To set up your new router as an access point:
1. Use a network cable to connect this router's Internet port to the Ethernet
or LAN port on the router that is connected to your modem.
2. Log into Linksys Smart Wi-Fi. (See "How to connect to Linksys Smart Wi-
Fi" on page 7.
3. Under Router Settings, click Connectivity, then click the Internet
Settings tab.
4. Click IPv4.
5. For Type of Internet Connection, select Bridge Mode.
6. Click Obtain an IPv4 address automatically, then click OK. The new router's LAN IP address will be changed and obtained from the router that is connected to your modem.

The steps that are immediately above were posted earlier in the thread. Are these basically/essentially the same thing as Option 3 on the "What are the Tradeoffs?" FAQ?

I think I'm going to ask/insist they use Ethernet for the ONT to Actiontec and then go from Actiontec LAN --> Linksys WAN. And then attempt the Wireless Access Point or Bridge mode. I'll try that out to see if everything works.

If the Double NAT issue occurs (or I run into issues with torrents or the TV guide for some reason won't work) I will then proceed with the full Option 3 implementation of LAN to LAN suggestion in Option 3.

Am I missing anything in the above?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

The steps you referenced appear to have come from the operating manual for a Linksys, maybe even yours. It appears to be an internal linksys configuration that bypasses the WAN/LAN firewall and puts the router into bridge mode. Option 3 from the tradeoffs faq does nearly the same thing for hardware that does not have the internal bridge mode configuration.
TheAgent007
join:2014-06-17

TheAgent007

When they come to do the installation and I ask them to use Ethernet rather than a coax cable to connect the ONT to the Actiontec what's the best reason to give them? Or will they do it no questions asked if I ask politely?

Thanks once again to all of you for the loads of information. Had no idea FiOS was so complicated in terms of their hardware and the way it functions.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

The only way for sure to get Verizon to wire Ethernet is order the 150/65 package, otherwise they may refuse your request or charge for the Ethernet drop which is not required from there prospective.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to TheAgent007

MVM

to TheAgent007
Asking politely is the biggest part. "I understand it gives me more flexibility in the future. When my budget allows it later, I will probably go to the higher 150/65 speed tier, and it will already be there." is a good reason. But like guppyfish said, they may say no or charge for it. Your choice to accept charge or not. Your alternative is to run the cat5 yourself and have it in place before the installation, or to run it yourself post-installation. If the wire is there, you'll not have too much problem asking the installer to terminate the ends then hook it up.