Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Rant] This is why I don't shop online

Went to buy a new Keurig Brewer at Eastfield Mall Macy's and they said Holyoke Mall Macy's had them in stock. Get there and the computer said they had them but they were out. So I ordered one and they shipped one to my house. It arrives and it apparently has been returned (possibly the switcharoo scam where they buy a new unit and return the dead unit).

So I go to the Eastfield mall and all they can do is order another one. It's the Keurig K-75 Platinum brewer.

Why are they having such a hard time keeping these in stock.

They shouldn't ship something in this condition. If something like this comes back it should be written off.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

6 recommendations

Msradell

Premium Member

I'm not sure why you are ranting about shopping online because of this. You actually bought this from a B&M store, not an online retailer! I'm betting that if you had actually bought it from a reputable online retailer such as Amazon your outcome would've been much better.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

dib22

Agree, this thread should be titled:

"Why I don't buy from brick and mortar stores"

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
I buy from brick and mortar because you can inspect the merchandise before you buy it.

If the box is damaged or if it appears opened, then the words "No Sale" comes to mind.

The deal is closed only if the packaging is in perfect condition and the seals are intact.

Another thing is you can check dates, especially with medications.

The item was ordered from Macy(dot)com from the store since they didn't have it in the store.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Just for your reference, I have purchased a ton of things online... I received a damaged item once, from overstock.com, and they sent me a replacement and told me to keep the damaged one.

I will admit I have never used macys.com, perhaps a better title would be "Why I don't buy from macys.com" ;D

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

3 recommendations

Cthen to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
You may as well titled this one... "Flame me because I am a misinformed consumer!"

I went to 7-11 yesterday and walked out with my coffee cup leaking due to a bad seal on the cup. Does this mean I should never shop at all B&M stores ever again?

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I have had zero issues with buying anything online.

By the way, where you purchase an item from does not increase or decrease its chances of arriving broken.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by Omega:

I have had zero issues with buying anything online.

By the way, where you purchase an item from does not increase or decrease its chances of arriving broken.

What I'm ranting about is that someone working in their warehouse actually had the guts to actually box this up and ship it.

If I was working at an Amazon or another online retailer's warehouse (or the online retail division warehouse of a B&M retailer) and I was picking out merchandise to ship to a customer; if the box had obvious signs of damage (crushed, water stains, or other damage) I'd put myself in the shoes of the customer and say "would I want this in my home".

I'm sure the person working in the warehouse for minimum wage doesn't care but they shouldn't ship boxes that are obviously damaged. And if it's been returned, don't try to sell it as new, especially if it's been opened.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

What I'm ranting about is that someone working in their warehouse actually had the guts to actually box this up and ship it.

If I was working at an Amazon or another online retailer's warehouse (or the online retail division warehouse of a B&M retailer) and I was picking out merchandise to ship to a customer; if the box had obvious signs of damage (crushed, water stains, or other damage) I'd put myself in the shoes of the customer and say "would I want this in my home".

Indeed. But this was NOT Amazon, it was Macy's.

The thread could have been titled "This is why I don't shop online at Macy's".

It would not have happened with Amazon. Although I have sometimes had my issues with them, Amazon would never have shipped out a box/product in that condition.

WillRegSoon
@74.89.75.x

WillRegSoon

Anon

Indeed. Amazon is the success template they should all follow.

stevennb
Ok, But, Thats The Last Straw.
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08
Wayne, NJ

6 recommendations

stevennb to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
What does Grandma think about this situation?

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
I've never gotten any thing damaged from amazon. USPS did almost crash a ink Cart though!
ImpetusEra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-19

ImpetusEra to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Did it ship in that box or inside another box? Did you even open it? It doesn't look that bad to me, you're going to recycle the box anyway. It'd be easy enough to tell from opening it if it had been used/returned. I buy stuff online all the time. It costs less and saves me time having to drive to a store and look for what I want that they probably don't even have. I've purchased speakers online for half the price including shipping of what they sell for at Best Buy. Even Walmart I went in to buy a SD card. Online price was half that of the in store price. I purchased it online with my phone with store pickup and went to the order pickup counter 15 minutes later and got it for half price.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

3 recommendations

TheBionic to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Physically goes to two brick and mortar stores, both are out of stock and have to order from their warehouse. Item is in poor condition when it arrives.

"This is why I don't shop online!"

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to ImpetusEra

Premium Member

to ImpetusEra
It was in another box which was in perfect condition, it appeared to be a switcharoo scam where someone returned a dead unit when they bought a new one.
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
The reason I shop brick and mortar is I can inspect the merchandise before I make the deal.

Damaged/stained box = No Sale.

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

3 recommendations

removed to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

You're living in Lala Land if you think the order picker has any say whatsoever about which items go out and which don't.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

ITGeeks to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
So by what you actually just said- you are one of those customers that demand that a store opens an item and can not legally reseal it when you refuse to purchase it- so they're out that money because you're not "happy". This is why prices are so damn high and retailers close up stores.

and stores do not use their regular online sites when placing orders in the stores. they use internal sites to track shipments and such.
ITGeeks

1 recommendation

ITGeeks to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
And by you refusing to ship an item that is in "stock" regardless of the box, YOU Sir could and most likely be fired for failing to ship the item.

And FYI- working in a warehouse is no different than working at a regular B&M store for minimum wage.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by ITGeeks:

And by you refusing to ship an item that is in "stock" regardless of the box, YOU Sir could and most likely be fired for failing to ship the item.

And FYI- working in a warehouse is no different than working at a regular B&M store for minimum wage.

And then who gets blamed when that item comes back (or the shipment is refused if the damage is obvious). It's clearly the fault of the merchant because the outer shipping container was in perfect condition. If it were the other way around (damaged shipping container but the item packaging was in perfect condition) then I'd be happy but consumer wise you should refuse a package with any obvious signs of damage as the merchant can file a claim with the carrier if the content(s) are damaged/destroyed. Otherwise you could be stuck with damaged goods.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Costco has the K75 for $149.99, 60 assorted K-Cup® Packs, Single My Cup with Filter [brew your own mix] and an In Tank water filter.

And it comes in 2 boxes, 1 box inside the other. I was in Costco the other day and they had a bunch of the Platinums.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I'll trust merchandise from major retailers online any time over brick/mortar stores. Never had problems with Amazon, Wal-mart, JC Penney and others.

Now locally, no way, no how will I buy anything with a plug or costs more than $20. Why? Lousy return policy in which some stores (e.g. Meijer in the midwest) takes back almost anything with a receipt regardless of the condition. Always have had something missing/damaged.

Worst local horror: elderly mum bought a bottle of 32-count suppositories. Got them home and found (a) the sanitary seal under the cap was punctured; and (b) when she poured them out ............. there were 30, and a "mysterious" brown stain on one of the others. Gross, gross and gross.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

That's why I think it should be illegal to sell anything as new if it's left the seller's normal place of business or has been opened.

That regulation does apply to cars. Once you drive a new car off the dealer's lot it's becomes a used car and the value drops considerably. That's the regulation in most states. I wish that was the law with retail merchandise.

WillRegSoon
@24.46.143.x

WillRegSoon

Anon

said by IowaCowboy:

Once you drive a new car off the dealer's lot it's becomes a used car and the value drops considerably.

What about when the dealer invites you to take it out for a test drive and you don't buy it.
Legally is it now a used car?
bills
Premium Member
join:2000-08-19
China

bills

Premium Member

said by WillRegSoon :

said by IowaCowboy:

Once you drive a new car off the dealer's lot it's becomes a used car and the value drops considerably.

What about when the dealer invites you to take it out for a test drive and you don't buy it.
Legally is it now a used car?

I believe once it's re-registered it is considered used.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Went to buy a new Keurig Brewer at Eastfield Mall Macy's and they said Holyoke Mall Macy's had them in stock. Get there and the computer said they had them but they were out. So I ordered one and they shipped one to my house. It arrives and it apparently has been returned (possibly the switcharoo scam where they buy a new unit and return the dead unit).

So I go to the Eastfield mall and all they can do is order another one. It's the Keurig K-75 Platinum brewer.

Why are they having such a hard time keeping these in stock.

They shouldn't ship something in this condition. If something like this comes back it should be written off.

While others seem to have a problem with your title I don't. You did not pick up the item in person so it was like ordering online.

You had no opportunity to look at it before buying which is the online experience.

While you did not technically buy it online I get what you mean.

And it Sucks but they will make it right I'm sure.

Just a minor bump in the road of life but I understand a rant should not be met with excuses or it wouldn't be a rant.

I hope you enjoy it when it arrives.

Those things are AWESOME.

Blob

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

2 recommendations

Thespis to bills

Premium Member

to bills
Has anyone ever bought a car with 0 miles on it at delivery?
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

That's why I think it should be illegal to sell anything as new if it's left the seller's normal place of business or has been opened.

Cool. So I walk into a store to buy something. They don't have a display model. I open a box to look at it and decide not to buy it. Then the tore can't sell it.

Did you open the item? The box might have been damaged in the warehouse.

And the pickers/packagers don't care. It's also not their job to care. Order comes in for 1 item. It's in stock, it ships.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to Thespis

Premium Member

to Thespis
5 miles when I test drove the vehicle I ordered. I had many "port installed options" so they probably had to drive it quite a distance to all the installation areas.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Click for full size
This is why I don't shop at brick and mortar stores

»www.bestbuy.com/site/hp- ··· p=1&lp=3

»www.amazon.com/HP-M475dn ··· +Printer

Even with paying $80 for shipping (inflated to off set the low cost of the printer), it's still $200 cheaper then Worst Buy.