spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jobr
join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS

jobr

Mystery call

Earlier today, I received a call that piqued my interest, so I looked into it a bit more. The call was to one of my toll free DIDs, with caller ID and ANI both being 647-317-0010, which is a Distributel number in Toronto. The caller id name was the unusual string "DIDTestDialler".

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? The phone only rang twice before the caller hung up. Googling the number, I found a link where someone suggested this was a collection agency, but why would they call numbers at random?

Am I correct in thinking that the ANI can't be spoofed when calling a toll free number? Could this be Distributel looking for reachable numbers?
bw5745
join:2014-03-14

bw5745

There was a similar topic a while back:
»Nighttime junk calls to toll-free numbers

Using a free SIP-based toll-free termination service DOES allow you to spoof the CallerID, ANI and Caller Name.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by bw5745:

There was a similar topic a while back:
»Nighttime junk calls to toll-free numbers

That was my thread.

The problem continues for the whole TF industry.

FBI and FCC gather data but are powerless to stop it.

See:
»freerouteserver.com/word ··· ing.html

»800notes.com/forum/ta-76 ··· -numbers

FBI discussion (PDF file):
»voipsecurityblog.typepad ··· -13-.pdf

In my case, 1-2 come in per day, they continue even though for several weeks I have been doing an [SIT tone Number Disconnected] message.

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer1:

In my case, 1-2 come in per day, they continue even though for several weeks I have been doing an [SIT tone Number Disconnected] message.

Are you answering the call first and then providing the SIT tone, or playing the SIT as early media and then rejecting the call?

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to jobr

to jobr
I received a call from "Microsoft" with clid of 6 and another with a different clid.

Nothing new these days !!
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to arpawocky

Premium Member

to arpawocky
said by arpawocky:

Are you answering the call first and then providing the SIT tone, or playing the SIT as early media and then rejecting the call?

The latter.

These crooks are tenacious, stubborn, and determined.

I've been blocking every call to my TF number for a few weeks, yet it persists.

Regular spammers are bad enough, but because these particular TF spammers actually get some reimbursement (according to the FBI briefing) it seems hopeless....

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky to jobr

Premium Member

to jobr
said by jobr:

Am I correct in thinking that the ANI can't be spoofed when calling a toll free number?

No, you are not correct. The ANI absolutely *can* be spoofed.
jobr
Halifax, NS

jobr to bw5745

to bw5745
Thank you for the correction, and the link - interesting reading. "DIDTestDialler" makes me believe it's some kind of mass calling, so I could well believe it's for traffic pumping purposes.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev to jobr

Premium Member

to jobr
At 13:45 Pacific this afternoon, that same name and number hit about two dozen of my toll free numbers nearly simultaneously.

I'll see what I can find and will report back if I can uncover anything useful.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Thanks Trev.

Hopefully it's not some sort of subsonic mass activation code to awaken Godzilla.

-----

I called that 647-317-0010 number.

A nice lady speaks in English and French and asks that you enter your phone number, then press pound. After that it asks for a PIN.

Strange.
penman4
join:2011-10-20

penman4 to Trev

to Trev
said by Trev:

At 13:45 Pacific this afternoon, that same name and number hit about two dozen of my toll free numbers nearly simultaneously

The call to my 888 number from DIDTestDialler came in at 16:15 EST yesterday. I'm intrigued. I hope you can find out something Trev. @PX Eliezer The fact that the nice lady spoke English and French would suggest a Canadian source for this caper.
P
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

For that particular number, yes.

But my tollfree line has been hit by dozens of different US numbers.
penman4
join:2011-10-20

penman4

said by PX Eliezer1:

For that particular number, yes.

But my tollfree line has been hit by dozens of different US numbers

HMMM... Maybe the CSE is getting together with the NSA

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

....I called that 647-317-0010 number.

A nice lady speaks in English and French and asks that you enter your phone number, then press pound.

After that it asks for a PIN.

Strange.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back, when the Internet was just a gleam in Al Gore's eye (I think), I used to use Distributel as an alternate (possibly coded or default, I forget which now) carrier for my long distance calls, which was the only service that they offered at that time, as it was THEIR beginning too.

It seems to me that calls which I made (and/or other D-tel customers made to me) yielded a common trunk number for each city.

There was such a number for Ottawa which I recall determining to be theirs, and it appeared on my phone when a certain party called me, even though they were not in Ottawa.

It was because they used D-tel for their LDX calls.

I remember remarking to one of D-tel's reps that if they were going to handle call display in that manner for their customers, that they ought to go the whole hog, and use the CNAM to advertise that the call was from one of their customers.

Back then, I did not realize that 15 characters was the max string length, nor that it was even called CNAM.

Chances are that it might be a real customer of theirs who called you recently.

Of course that does not narrow it down much, nor does it preclude them from being a TM or a scammer.

BTW, the bit about the PIN could be that D-tel customers can access some aspect of their account thru the number, if the PIN was long enough itself to be unique per customer, such as to use their LDX as a calling card from a pay phone, or to configure some other of their current services, which AFAIK also includes VoIP (which they call something else, as they don't like to use that term).
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

Of course that does not narrow it down much, and it could still be a TM or a scammer.

My tollfree number is not publicly promoted. I had big plans for it, but I had not started using it yet.

Any call that comes in on it is a junk call, I assure you.

Here's a sampling of some of the recent calls:

20751475xx
Lewiston ME

86051615xx
Bristol CT

51830013xx
Albany NY

21322287xx
Los Angeles CA

65133347xx
Minneapolis MN

70790040xx
Lakeport CA

33086054xx
VOICE NETWORK

71755702xx
Harrisburg PA

Very random, as you see.

Again, this has been a known problem to the FBI and FCC for a couple of years now.

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Regular spammers are bad enough, but because these particular TF spammers actually get some reimbursement (according to the FBI briefing) it seems hopeless....

Who could possibly be reimbursing them and where could the funding from that reimbursement possibly be coming from?

You pay your TF provider for incoming minutes. Presumably your provider is not paying spammers to call you so they could make a few bucks from the calls you are getting.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Joseph you need to read this PDF which contains the FBI commentary:

»voipsecurityblog.typepad ··· -13-.pdf

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by Davesnothere:

Of course that does not narrow it down much, nor does it preclude them from being a TM or a scammer.

My tollfree number is not publicly promoted. I had big plans for it, but I had not started using it yet.

Any call that comes in on it is a junk call, I assure you.

Here's a sampling of some of the recent calls....

In that case, the party must know what I just explained, and is spoofing a known D-tel trunk number, as D-tel likely still handles their LDX in that fashion, for folks who only use that single service.

So when you return the call, you are reaching D-tel's equipment.

= = = = = =

I would hope that D-tel does better CID/CNAM for their VoIP customers.

BTW, they now are also a large independent ISP, repackaging services from several major incumbents, both Cable & DSL.

Trev
Premium Member
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

Sorry for any inconvenience, but our provisioning group was confirming the routing of all of our Toll Free numbers because of a reported issue with some of our numbers with our Toll Free provider. We were wanting to test and correct any issues prior to any further customers reporting an issue.

jobr
Halifax, NS

jobr

Thank you for looking into this! I wish they would've pointed the caller ID at a recording explaining what they were doing.

Trev
Premium Member
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by jobr:

Thank you for looking into this! I wish they would've pointed the caller ID at a recording explaining what they were doing.

Indeed. Or they could have blocked calls once they hit their network instead of passing them right through to their customers. It's not like they were diagnosing a problem that was possibly at the end user's side.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

My tollfree number is not publicly promoted.

I have a toll free number that is not publicly promoted either and I am not getting any of these calls. In fact, I get a surprisingly small number of junk calls (maybe 2 per month).

I've had this number for over a year and it was always set to just terminate any incoming calls. Recently, I've set it to ring my phone for incoming calls just to see what happens.