All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lawrence171
join:2001-12-24
Canada

lawrence171

Is EBox losing money on these Cable prices?

is Electronic Box losing money on their new Cable packages? Their prices are significantly lower than that of their competitors'.

Also, for their 60/10 Mbps cable (Ontario) package, does anyone know if they can cut you off when you hit the chosen bandwidth consumption allotment? (1 TB)
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

I don't believe ISPs can cut you off for anything other than failure to pay. They can throttle your speed but cannot cut you off entirely due to the possible safety implications.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

What safety implications... Internet isn't an essential service. Companies can and do suspend internet accounds because of abuse. It all depends how actively they enforce their user policy.

And at this prices, they are definitely in danger of attracting too many users with large usage habits and it does not bode well for their bottom line...

They'll have to adjust in the long run or definitely lose money.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to lawrence171

MVM

to lawrence171
Internet cannot be less essential than telephone service, since Internet can be used to provide telephone service. If you don't consider telephone service essential, then your statement is correct.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by Guspaz:

Internet cannot be less essential than telephone service, since Internet can be used to provide telephone service. If you don't consider telephone service essential, then your statement is correct.

Yes, I agree with this statement, however that is not the way it is classified. A traditional landline is an essential service whereas internet is not.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to HiVolt

to HiVolt
It varies from province to province. It was struck down in Saskatchewan which had tried to make internet an essential service. The legal argument is that if a person is using an internet connected medical device/monitoring and the ISP shuts off the account for bandwidth consumption that's something that could endanger the individual's life. It also wouldn't be covered under safe harbour laws.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to lawrence171

to lawrence171
diskace commented on pricing in this Start thread recently:

»Re: Electronicbox is sooo tempting... help me out!
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Voip service is not classified with the same protections of essential service as traditional pots landline and therefore internet does not have the same 24 hour repair window

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

But legally there is no distinction there. Internet access is not essential period. And there are many more points of failure for VoIP as well so realistically it could never happen.
BoogaBooga
join:2004-06-12
Canada

BoogaBooga

What happens when Bell upgrades to a next gen (i.e. ftth) network? Will the telephone service still be considered an essential service? Or does essential service classification only apply to legacy (copper) pots?
lawrence171
Canada

lawrence171 to Ree

to Ree
said by Ree:

diskace commented on pricing in this Start thread recently:

»Re: Electronicbox is sooo tempting... help me out!

Thanks for the link.
LanAdmin
join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

LanAdmin to lawrence171

to lawrence171
said by lawrence171:

is Electronic Box losing money on their new Cable packages? Ontario: Yes

... if they can cut you off when you hit the chosen bandwidth consumption allotment? No

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to lawrence171

Premium Member

to lawrence171
The prices are not competitive. 30/5 for 30/5 after 6 months?? I get 45/4 with NO caps for the same price
imtiax
Premium Member
join:2014-05-24
Toronto, ON

imtiax

Premium Member

What provider are u with

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

The prices are not competitive. 30/5 for 30/5 after 6 months?? I get 45/4 with NO caps for the same price

On a grampa'd plan.

And what was that price again ?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by elwoodblues:

On a grampa'd plan.

And what was that price again ?

$54 (after 6 months)
lawrence171
Canada

lawrence171 to imtiax

to imtiax
said by imtiax:

What provider are u with

I'm currently with Acanac, but their prices seem to be higher and higher for Cable. I know they probably have to due to Rogers, but still... $60 + tax a month for 30/5...
LanAdmin
join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

LanAdmin

On Rogers cable

45$ Ebox 250GB (30/5)
55$ Acanac 350GB (30/5) Month to month

53$ Ebox 1000GB (30/5)
65$ Acanac unlimited (30/5) Month to month
--------------------------------
60$ Ebox 350GB (60/10)
70$ Acanac 350GB (60/10) Month to month

67$ Ebox 1000GB (60/10)
80$ Acanac unlimited (60/10) Month to month

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

[COMPARISON CHART for TPIA in Rogers' 'Hood]

I have added TSI, START, VMedia, & Distributel to the mix.
Modems and Tax are Extra in all cases.
AFAIK, ALL below providers allow you to use your own modem, if it is an approved model.
Installation fees may vary with each provider and with the type of install.

ALL PRICES ARE REGULAR ONES, NOT TEMPORARY/LIMITED PROMOs !!!

I HAVE MOVED & REPOSTED THE CHART FURTHER ALONG in the CURRENT THREAD, at this link :

»Revised COMPARISON CHART for TPIA thru Rogers Cable

There is also some interesting discussion before that, in the full thread, beginning here :

»Is EBox losing money on these Cable prices?

ou812
@75.119.249.x

ou812

Anon

Re: Is EBox losing money on these Cable prices?

Wow, Teksavvy is sure sucking the hind tit these days on pricing. Interesting.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
few other things to consider too:

-install fee
-transfer fee
-package change fee

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I did mention in passing to consider those too, but was not prepared to make a full spreadsheet just now.
Madwand
join:2002-12-03
Toronto, ON

Madwand to lawrence171

to lawrence171
Also cost for a 8x4 modem. Damn Rogers. My 6120 will certainly handle 30/5 without a single issue, what a money grab.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by Madwand:

Also cost for a 8x4 modem. Damn Rogers. My 6120 will certainly handle 30/5 without a single issue, what a money grab.

that statement makes no sense since Rogers gets no money from you buying a modem at a store or from a TPIA.
Madwand
join:2002-12-03
Toronto, ON

Madwand to lawrence171

to lawrence171
said by lawrence171:

is Electronic Box losing money on their new Cable packages? Their prices are significantly lower than that of their competitors'.

Also, for their 60/10 Mbps cable (Ontario) package, does anyone know if they can cut you off when you hit the chosen bandwidth consumption allotment? (1 TB)

It depends on how you look at it jmck. In my opinion they do. They make it harder for TPIA customers who generally will buy their modem, which pisses off TPIA customers and Rogers themselves will probably charge higher modem rentals to their own customers now for a more expensive modem (albeit better) when their current one works perfectly fine.

Rogers also charges an arm and a leg with testing fees from ISPs wishing to sell new modem models. Not a ton of money, but still a hindrance to smaller ISPs nonetheless.

You can't tell me that a 6120 can't handle the basic 10/1 service or the 30/5 service. It's working on 45/4 right now without issues.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

it's not about what's working now, those with existing modems and existing packages aren't affected and will keep using their 4x4 channel modems.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to Madwand

Premium Member

to Madwand
said by Madwand:

They make it harder for TPIA customers who generally will buy their modem, which pisses off TPIA customers and Rogers themselves will probably charge higher modem rentals to their own customers now for a more expensive modem (albeit better) when their current one works perfectly fine.

This is very obviously true. I mean sure, 'cash grab' is a bit too simplistic, it is a political/business decision though, not a technical one. The CRTC should be all over that, but getting the CRTC to care is hard. Especially since the indies have bigger fish to fry.
DSMdude
join:2012-06-30
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
I almost considered Start due to pricing and the 200GB sweet spot with the 30/5 package but I believe they throttle you after x amount (I think its 10) GB per day of bandwidth. That doesn't sit well with me so I stayed with Teksavvy. I went with the 30/5 150GB package and plan to do most of my heavy use during off peak hours. I don't know the ins and outs of the other IISPs however Teksavvy's off peak usage which doesn't contribute to your cap is a great selling feature (for me) which is another reason I stayed with them.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by DSMdude:

I almost considered Start due to pricing and the 200GB sweet spot with the 30/5 package, but I believe they throttle you after x amount (I think its 10) GB per day of bandwidth.....

USAGE, not Bandwidth, is the correct term, and Teksavvy should be ashamed for still sometimes calling it Bandwidth.

Anyway, START has not said very much recently about that policy, which, last I heard, kicked in after 20GB in any day.

BTW, it was not a form of 'throttling' - instead it was a type of data 'prioritizing', which means that your data might get delayed by a few milliseconds, but if and only if enough other customers who are NOT being prioritized also all wanted enough data at the exact same moment.

And I believe that START was only doing that to their unlimited plan folks who were being fed thru the Rogers wire (aka rCable).

I am not clear about whether START is still doing that to anybody who is on their new (2014 May) unlimited rCable plans, nor am I sure whether about they plan to do it to Cogeco-fed (cCable) unlimited customers.

Any comments from Da Boss on this ?
DSMdude
join:2012-06-30
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude

Correct - usage is the term. But call it what you want - throttling, prioritizing - its bad enough I don't get my full speed at the best of times but I cant justify agreeing to a process where Im guaranteed to lose speed (bandwidth) so thats where the off peak usage comes in handy.