Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to DSMdude

Premium Member

to DSMdude

Re: Is EBox losing money on these Cable prices?

Off-peak 2AM thru 8AM is something which START does too, and has since early last year, IIRC.

But regarding the peak period stuff, we should hang tight until Rocca weighs in before debating it, as they might not even be DOING it anymore.

Also, if you check what I posted upthread, comparing 5 IISPs' latest Internet plans thru rCable, TSI is currently charging the highest of the group for unlimited usage, for the 30/5 and 60/10 speeds.

And BTW, if you do not get full speed at the 'best' of times, you have an entirely different beef than what we have discussed so far.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

1 edit

jasmo34 to DSMdude

to DSMdude
said by DSMdude:

I almost considered Start due to pricing and the 200GB sweet spot with the 30/5 package but I believe they throttle you after x amount (I think its 10) GB per day of bandwidth.

You are incorrect about Start's 30/5/200 being throttled after a certain amount of usage per day.

Start has a 6-hour free unlimited download window.

Start has free uploads 24/7.

It is unfortunate you didn't ask a question or two here or in the Start forum, or didn't do more reading on the Start website, before deciding. (The TSI forum may not be the best place to find the true facts about other IISP's.)

DNH is correct, in that Start's UNLIMITED plans are subject to their 'unlimited use policy'. That policy MAY kick in when an unlimited user reaches that 'daily threshold' AND Start's links to that supplier (incumbent) are also showing signs of saturation.

Also, their CAPPED plans are subject to their 'maximum overages protection policy'. This protects you from 'unknown runaway connection usage', and prevents connection abuse too (you cannot blow through your plan's monthly usage quota, then all your allowed overage quota, and then carry on downloading at full-speed with no penalty).

Anyway, plans are constantly changing, and it is good that every IISP is not a carbon copy of the others. At least you stayed with an IISP!

edit1: more CAPPED info added; some wording 'adjusted'

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I may not be correct anyMORE, if they happened to abolish the policy about what happens if you exceed a daily usage threshold leading to traffic prioritizing for the rest of that particular date.

Remember, last month, in the threads which announced START's new unlimited (and other new) cable plans, Da Boss asked us all to be careful, considerate, and conservative with our downloading during evenings, especially from 9PM-11PM.

I reckon that he would not have needed to sat that if they still were implementing that policy.

= = = = = =

And to finish with a question :

I do not think that ANYONE at all has ever posted that they could NOTICE that they were being 'prioritized' by START's policy, even when they knew that they ought to be.

Am I right, or did I miss a post somewhere ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Correct, it's rarely/if ever noticed.

We design our network to remain non-congested at all times, however if 1) something unusual happens and there is a capacity shortage and 2) someone has done 20GB so far that day and 3) they are on unlimited, then they 4) *may* notice a temporary slow down for that peak hour or whatever.

Our unlimited fair use policy is simply to provide fair access at a fair price as it is not designed as a 24/7 dedicated link for $15 on the unlimited option.

Someone looking at a quota plan such as the 200GB as per above never has to worry about it.
GoRaptors
join:2011-07-22
London, ON

GoRaptors to lawrence171

to lawrence171
Dave if/when you feel like it, please include Distributel as well in the chart?

I am stuck with them as well now, they just sent me a letter & my 25 down 2 up cable

service is going up by $2/month. I rent the cable modem as well so.

$64.30/month now so $66.30/month including taxes & the $4? cable modem rental.

Unlimited is the only saving grace...Sigh. I really hate Rogers & the CRTC right now.

I just want 30/10 or 60/10 unlimited including the cable modem rental & taxes all in

for like $40 or $55/month max.

I hope the hearings at the end of this year will bring some sanity back to the the

broadband industry... Only 1 desktop pc btw hardwired directly into the modem.

I am open to any & all suggestions/ideas/feedback as to what to do btw.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by GoRaptors:

Dave if/when you feel like it, please include Distributel as well in the chart?

I am stuck with them as well now, they just sent me a letter & my 25 down 2 up cable service is going up by $2/month.

I rent the cable modem as well so $64.30/month now, so $66.30/month including taxes & the $4? cable modem rental.

Unlimited is the only saving grace...Sigh. I really hate Rogers & the CRTC right now.

I just want 30/10 or 60/10 unlimited including the cable modem rental & taxes all in for like $40 or $55/month max....

First, 25/2 is an outdated tier, so you are grandfathered, I would expect.

I checked and added their 30/5 and 60/10 unlimited plans to my earlier post.

Their prices are close or equal to the highest already in my chart.

BTW, nobody at all has 60/10 for what you posted that you wish to pay, unlimited or not.

And there is no 30/5 unlimited either in that price range, including modem rental and tax.

I believe the expression is "Dream on !" (at least for THIS year, anyway)

PS : We have it worse in Cogeco-Land - Wait and see how scary that a chart looks like for THERE !
Davesnothere

4 edits

1 recommendation

Davesnothere to LanAdmin

Premium Member

to LanAdmin

Revised COMPARISON CHART for TPIA thru Rogers Cable

I have added TSI, START, VMedia, & Distributel to the mix.
Modems and Tax are Extra in all cases.
AFAIK, ALL below providers allow you to use your own modem, if it is an approved model.
Installation fees may vary with each provider and with the type of install.

ALL PRICES ARE REGULAR ONES, NOT TEMPORARY/LIMITED PROMOs !!!

TPIA 30/5 thru Rogers cable :
(when 2 or more plans were the same price, I have listed the higher GB plan first)

45$ Ebox 250GB
45$ START 200GB
45$ TekSavvy 150GB
55$ Acanac 350GB - Month to month rate
55$ TekSavvy 300GB

50$ VMedia unlimited
53$ Ebox 1000GB
60$ START unlimited
65$ Acanac unlimited - Month to month rate
75$ Distributel unlimited
75$ TekSavvy unlimited

=================================

TPIA 60/10 thru Rogers cable :
(when 2 or more plans were the same price, I have listed the higher GB plan first)

60$ Ebox 350GB
60$ TekSavvy 150GB
65$ START 300GB
70$ Acanac 350GB - Month to month rate
70$ TekSavvy 300GB

65$ VMedia unlimited
67$ Ebox 1000GB
80$ Acanac unlimited - Month to month rate
80$ START unlimited
90$ Distributel unlimited
95$ TekSavvy unlimited

NOTE : Most of these IISPs also have lower priced plans at 10Mbps download speed, and some have plans at 150Mbps.
GoRaptors
London, ON

GoRaptors

That's sad! Sigh...Hope the hearings go well!! Go go Little guys!!!
+1 Dave! Thanks buddy! Off to bed for me!

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

[COMPARISON CHART for TPIA thru Cogeco Ontario Cable]

Only 3 of the 6 TPIA IISPs from my other chart for Rogers' 'Hood have so far demonstrated the notable courage ( or is it foolishness ? ) to offer TPIA service thru Cogeco's Ontario network and territory, which means a shorter chart.

Start, TekSavvy, and VMedia are the players.

Modems and Tax are Extra in all cases.
AFAIK, ALL below providers allow you to use your own modem, if it is an approved model.
Installation fees may vary with each provider and with the type of install.

ALL PRICES ARE REGULAR ONES, NOT TEMPORARY/LIMITED PROMOs !!!

TPIA 20/10 thru Cogeco cable :

43$ TekSavvy 150GB
45$ START 200GB
53$ TekSavvy 300GB

50$ VMedia unlimited
60$ START unlimited
80$ TekSavvy unlimited

TPIA 55/10 thru Cogeco cable :

68$ TekSavvy 150GB
75$ START 300GB (@ 50Mbps speed, not 55)
75$ TekSavvy 300GB

70$ VMedia unlimited
90$ START unlimited (@ 50Mbps speed, not 55)
100$ TekSavvy unlimited

NOTE : These IISPs also have lower priced plans at 10Mbps download speed.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

1 edit

mikee to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: Revised COMPARISON CHART for TPIA thru Rogers Cable

teksavvy is the highest across all boards? xD.......... if ebox didnt add an 8 ms ping to me i would have joined them already, 8ms ping jump is a huge jump for me since i play a very ping sensitive game.

edit;
is there a list like this for vdsl?
sonyfanboy
join:2006-03-19
Oshawa, ON

sonyfanboy to lawrence171

to lawrence171

I got a letter in the mail from Distributel informing me that my 28/1 service would be going up $2.50 in August. Is this the case for everyone?

Robleh
join:2009-07-14
canada

Robleh to mikee

to mikee

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 85083377 got my ebox connection up today 10ms higher compared to tek still good imo

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace

Premium Member

10 ms higher to the toronto speedtest.net server. Keep in mind the total latency could be lower (it depends on the transit link when you exit our network) even if the internal network latency is a bit longer.

Try longueuil.speedtest.net and see for yourself.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
well i dont really care what speedtest says how about some actual pings from cmd or winmtr o_O

btw @diskace is your VDSL the same? does it go from toronto to quebec too?

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace

Premium Member

Yes the core BGP network is in Montreal but that means not much as what really matters is the peers we uses and the full path between the source and the destination. Knowing that the first hop is 5-10 ms away is just one piece of the whole picture.

Someone basing is isp decision on that single piece of information would be foolish.
redeye95
join:2014-01-22
Mississauga, ON

redeye95

the montreal core network will be moot when the arctic cable is up and running in 2016-2017... due to the montreal - chisabata connection, and the chisabata -new york via montreal connection... quite an interesting project. Google "arctic cable"... finally the way,way,way far north will have a chance that it will have far better internet than we have... and allow for better "national security" of the canada's north via connections that are not extremely high cost, and high latency satellite internet.
GoRaptors
London, ON

GoRaptors to sonyfanboy

to sonyfanboy

Yes, I got that letter as well. I am very unhappy with the state of unlimited cable/broadband internet in Ontario! Sigh!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to redeye95

MVM

to redeye95

How will the arctic cable be at all relevant to users in Ontario being routed through Montreal?

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Just a quick note to mention that at least one of the IISPs in my upthread tables (VMedia) is now offering the recently revised Cogeco speed tiers of 15/2 instead of 10/2, and 30/10 instead of 20/10.

They have also raised their monthly price slightly, so that 30/10 now costs $55 (BTW, I did not have a spot for the lower speed in this table, but VMedia's price for that tier rose a bit too).

Also, I am not aware of any IISP who did not service Cogeco territory (when I made this table) changing their mind and offering service there now, nor of any of the 3 who do offer it stopping offering such service since then.