Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1

Cheaper iMac Launched

»9to5mac.com/2014/06/18/apple-rel···at-1099/

Seems like a big drop in hardware for a small price drop.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
I was thinking the same thing. I bet they'd sell fast if they were priced at $799

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Nezmo
It's a desktop macbook air

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
said by Jackarino:

Exactly, the specs seem to be the same as the latest Macbook Air,....

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Jackarino
said by Jackarino:

Worse, it has a 5400rpm hard drive...
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
said by HiVolt:

said by Jackarino:

5400RPM drives have to go. In 2014 there is no reason to have it. It should be at least 7200rpm or a hybrid.

I remember when I got my entry level imac in 2010, that had a 7200RPM stock drive.
--
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God,
then we will be a nation gone under."

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Since the latest generation iMac, Apple opted to use a 2.5" laptop drive in them, because they sacrificed so much space to make them thinner at the edges. The 27" still uses a 3.5" desktop drive...

It's an absolute shame that makers still put out computers with these slowass drives, and charge a premium for it...
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Even if it is a 2.5", they still make 7200RPM and Hybrid 2.5" drives. Sometimes Apple makes me want to ram my head into a wall.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Jackarino
said by Jackarino:

said by HiVolt:

said by Jackarino:

5400RPM drives have to go. In 2014 there is no reason to have it. It should be at least 7200rpm or a hybrid.

I remember when I got my entry level imac in 2010, that had a 7200RPM stock drive.

Perhaps this is Apple's idea of a budget offering? Either way I don't wonder too much about the stock HDD.

A 1TB Fusion driver is an "option" or a 256GB SSD for a nominal fee of $250 USD.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

Its now being reported that the RAM on this model is permanently soldered on and not upgradeable. uber fail.
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
It's 8GB which is still good for a lot of people. I remember when 1gb was a lot lol

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Its now being reported that the RAM on this model is permanently soldered on and not upgradeable. uber fail.

Possibly due to design objectives of making things thinner, lighter and smaller. Like the new Mac Pro for example.

These are IMO superficial design goals that serve little to no real purpose for the average user,.....especially so in an All-In-One computer like the iMac.

Unimportant

@184.61.116.x
reply to Nezmo
I believe this is what we used to call "Road Apples".
»www.lowendmac.com/roadapples/

cuda74360

join:2008-11-08
Halethorpe, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jackarino
According to the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, the 5400rpm drive in my base model late-2013 iMac is twice as fast as the 7200rpm drive that came in my base model mid-2007 iMac.

said by Jackarino:

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

1 edit
The sata revision in the 2013 is newer (sata 3) thus the disk speed will be faster compared to the 2007 (sata 2)

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

it is no different than the standard 21.5" model...the only iMac with upgradable RAM (after you buy it) is the 27" model...i'm using just 8GB, but can move to 32GB if i need to...i was going to buy more RAM when i bought it, but my buddy who works at the Apple retailer i bought it from said not to bother for a while...he said 8GB in a Mac is pretty decent for what i would do on it...he was right.
--
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. - Winston Churchill

"You wanna be a man? Ima treat you like a man!" - Cleveland Bus Driver

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
The 21.5" regular one can still be upgraded, however it requires removing the glued on screen. Not for the average joe for sure.
--

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
i believe the housing is the same as the 27", and the RAM is still soldered on the board.

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to HiVolt
why is this a surprise? Apple has always put gimped hardware in their systems, when I was still running Macs back in the G3 era the x86 word was already on DDR400 and PCIe while Apple was still sitting on PC133 and 4x AGP.

intok

reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

said by HiVolt:

Possibly due to design objectives of making things thinner, lighter and smaller. Like the new Mac Pro for example.

These are IMO superficial design goals that serve little to no real purpose for the average user,.....especially so in an All-In-One computer like the iMac.

Exaclty, you can get a 15" high end laptop with dual top end mobile GPUs in SLI/Crossfire, but you can't get that in a 27" iMac? Why the hell not!? It'll more then fit if you aren't stupidly making a desktop system as thin as a laptop screen.

And Apple wonders why Hackintoshes are a thing.
--
You think theres no games for Linux? »desura.com »gameolith.com »humblebundle.com »playdeb.net »ubuntuvibes.com

Check out »youtube.com/user/TheBigPictureRT/videos »freespeech.org and »democracynow.org

intok

reply to cuda74360
Much larger HDD cache I'd guess and higher platter density slightly lowering seek times. Your old one is probably 8-16Mb while the new drive is probably 32-64Mb.

Still nowhere near what a modern 7200RPM can do.

intok

reply to Unimportant
said by Unimportant :

I believe this is what we used to call "Road Apples".
»www.lowendmac.com/roadapples/

The G4 Cube was actually a decent box is you where willing to do all of the various upgrades to it. It's no Quicksilver when comes to modability, but it could be upgraded to more then hold it's own at the end of the PPC era.
--
You think theres no games for Linux? »desura.com »gameolith.com »humblebundle.com »playdeb.net »ubuntuvibes.com

Check out »youtube.com/user/TheBigPictureRT/videos »freespeech.org and »democracynow.org