join:2002-05-14
Buffalo, NY
·Verizon FiOS
TP-Link Archer C7
Obihai OBi202

4 edits

videobruce

[Equipment] Under $8k Spectrum Analyzers

I never thought about starting a thread here on SA's, but I stumbled across a thread here 5 years ago regarding SA's that got a little out of hand, but was interesting;
»Spectrum Analyzer Showdown

I want to use this for something other than this forums purpose, wireless ISP's, but there appears to be some very learned members here I hope can shed some user input.
I have looked at a number of models, eliminating some for one reason or another. Here is what I am down to in no specific order;

Agilent N1996A, Agilent N9320B, Agilent N9912A
Anritsu MS2712E
Rigol DSA1030A

I have kinda ruled out these;
Agilent N9340B, Hameg HMS-X/3010, R&S FSH4, LP Tech LPT-3000, Atten GS4063

My use;
75% bench, 25% portable (field, not necessary battery operated)
OTA (Over The Air) Broadcast and 2-way radio monitoring, testing components (cables, splitters, receive dist. amps & preamps etc.)

Requirements;
3GHz
Tracking generator,
Preamp,
High input level capability without overload,
Conventional Spectrum Analyzer menu layout,
Demo or used in very good condition.

I just recently stumbled across the 1996, I was not aware of this until now. That seems to be to my liking, but cost seems to be a issue. The same goes for the FieldFox.
I also like the MS2712E, but I'm concerned about sweep speed; what is shown does not reflect what I have seen on screen.
The same goes for the cheapest of the bunch, the 1030A. Manually entering in sweep speed, does not always reflect what the display shows.

I has a Aeroflex 2399A that I recently sold and wished I didn't. This had no issue with the problem. I have seen the problem on a few You Tube videos with some other scopes. I prefer the fast sweep to detect small variations in signals.

For those with experience with any of these, please post you take on any, or any that I didn't list. Good, not so good, performance and the user interface.
videobruce

videobruce

Over 100 views and no input??
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

lutful

Premium Member

Pick one of the Agilents or the Anritsu. Sometimes slightly used equipment is sold at 50% to 75% of the original price. You may get a 6Ghz model for $8K if you ask around.

If you are also considering an oscilloscope purchase, there are models which combine spectrum analyzer. Tektronix MDO4000 for example. LeCroy also makes them.

I do not have any experience with Rigol and do not know anyone who has it.

The previous thread you linked has good info despite the silly arguments. Lesson: don't buy Aaronia.
videobruce
Buffalo, NY

videobruce

Just a SA. Rigol is extremely popular, at least the cheaper 815. The 1030A is a distant 3rd in the list. Aaronia was never on my list.

There must be members here that ahd exposure of some kind with at least one of these.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to videobruce

Premium Member

to videobruce
Might be better to move this thread to the Electronics forum...you might get more input there.
videobruce
Buffalo, NY

videobruce

I put it here based on that old thread from 2009.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

Most folks here don't use them...at least such as you are looking for. Some of the new equipment has a rudimentary but reasonably functional SA built in, and they find that sufficient for the task at hand.
videobruce
Buffalo, NY

videobruce

I understand that, but how it is used isn't really relevant.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

2 edits

lutful to videobruce

Premium Member

to videobruce
said by videobruce:

Just a SA. Rigol is extremely popular, at least the cheaper 815.

An older review of low-cost spectrum analyzers has some feedback on Rigol.
»www.edn.com/design/chara ··· nalyzers

Although advertised at “up to -135 dBm displayed average noise level (DANL)”, in practical use, it was more on the order of -60 to -90 dBm, depending on the frequency span and resolution bandwidths invoked. Using the built in preamp will lower the noise floor another 20 dB, or so.

EDN tested an early version of Signalhound's innovative USB based but true spectrum analyzers. Their latest BB60C real-time SA: »www.signalhound.com/prod ··· s/bb60c/

Features

RF frequency range from 9 kHz to 6 GHz.
Up to 24 GHz/sec sweep speed (10 kHz RBW)
Wide dynamic range from -158 dBm to +10 dBm.
Resolution bandwidths available from 10 Hz to 10 MHz.
videobruce
Buffalo, NY
·Verizon FiOS
TP-Link Archer C7
Obihai OBi202

videobruce

alternatives

I saw those reviews. There is a large difference between the 815 and the 1030 and 1030A. I now see Rigol has a 832 and 875 out. From what I read from their spec sheets, comparing the 832 with the 1030A, the additional $1800 (w/ TG) doesn't appear to be worth it.

I have never been a fan of two piece devices, namely ones that need a PC to work.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

That old thread had someone trying to prove that Aaronia was the best option. I sincerely get the feeling that you are trying to do the same with Rigol in this thread.
videobruce
Buffalo, NY
·Verizon FiOS
TP-Link Archer C7
Obihai OBi202

videobruce

I'm glad you are sincere, but you are sincerely WRONG!.
Best to re-read the 1st post. I'm looking for input from user experiences. I'm not trying to prove one over the other is the best option, that is the job of members that can do so from experience.
cmslick3
join:2004-05-24
Joliet, IL

cmslick3

I use a SA in my daily job. Currently I have experience with the Anritsu 2711E and a much more expensive JDSU J745.

Judging from your requirements the 2712E or 2711E should be able to fill your need. You just need to make sure you add the correct options to the unit to get what you want. As far as input levels go I believe the max on the Anritsu is +30dBm so you may need an attenuator if you plan to come across higher powers than that.

There are several places online which sell these units in used but working condition fairly cheap, may want to look into them.

My experience with these SA's has been from the cellular field performing basic RF measurements and interference finding.
videobruce
Buffalo, NY

videobruce

Do you see issues with what the display shows as far as updating and what shows for the sweep speed? Discrepancies between what you see and what the sweep is reported to be, the sweep showing lower than what is displayed?
cmslick3
join:2004-05-24
Joliet, IL

cmslick3

I don't think I've ever seen any issues like that. You must keep in mind that the initial reading for sweep speed will be invalid until the unit has performed a full sweep on the span/RBW you're asking it for.

Larger spans or smaller RBW settings will require longer sweep times. You should use an RBW of less than the occupied BW of your measured signal.

If you find that you're missing signals due to their speed then you may need to use averaging or max hold.
videobruce
Buffalo, NY
·Verizon FiOS
TP-Link Archer C7
Obihai OBi202

videobruce

The term "cycle time" has been used by one manufacture to differentiate between the actual sweep rate and what is displayed on screen. There is another term to describe this, but I don't remember what it was. This is where I'm having a problem finding out if a specific scope has this problem. Rigol and Instek do and I believe some of Anritsu models do also.