Search similar:

uniqs
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

[Flooring] Leveling a floor

We've removed a vanity in the bathroom and what a surprise the tiling doesn't reach the wall. We want to put in a vanity on legs, so I need tiles to go all the way to the wall. I have the matching tiles, however the current tiles are lying on top of the previous tiles, but even those don't reach all the way to the wall. I need to level out about 1x3 foot area reaching probabably 1/2 inch in depth in a few places in order to install the remaining tiles. Is there a product (hopefully something that HD or Lowes carry) that will let me create a firm surface to lay new tiles on?
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

[Flooring] Re: Leveling a floor

If it were mine, I'd just use a layer of thinset. Your going to need it anyway.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
Thinset would probably work but it doesn't behave that well when put on that thick. The easiest way may be to cut a piece of cement board to fit the space and then use thinset to place the tiles on top of it, if you used 1/4" cement board you can also set it in thinset to level it.
bkjohnson
Premium Member
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL

bkjohnson to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
Had to do that once. My neighbor gave me a suggestion that helped with using thinset. He told me to pour a bucket of water in the low spot and then after it receded some use the area where the water remained as a guide for pouring the thinset. I outlined the puddle with chalk to provide a guide after the water was gone. It worked well.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to Dodge

to Dodge
Probably overkill but you can also check out self-leveling concrete. Of course the problem with that is, if the existing floor isn't exactly level, the self-leveling concrete is not going to match up.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
The floor company that leveled my concrete slab used a leveling product. They put it in a 5 gal bucket added water and used a 3/4" drill to mix it. Poured it on and it worked perfectly.
Trimox
join:2012-09-24
Anywhere

Trimox to Dodge

to Dodge

Re: [Flooring] Leveling a floor

Is this a wood or concrete floor? In more respect to wood is it plank floor (meaning 1x laid side by side), osb, particle board or plywood?
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

it's plywood in the lowest area, then ceramic mosaic and that's covered with 12" tile. I need to bring the spot that's exposed plywood to the level of the first level ceramic, so then I can plop down additional 12" tiles on that.
Trimox
join:2012-09-24
Anywhere

Trimox to Dodge

to Dodge
As Msradell said cement board, something like,

»www.homedepot.com/p/Cust ··· c1vZc37o