Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Having issues mounting a USB drive.

I had a windows computer "die" on me. Well it's still sorta works, just a pain in the butt to get it started because of a blown cap on the mother board.

Anyhow, I pulled that hard drive, it has windows Vista on it, and stuck it into a USB enclosure. Thinking I could just hook it up and grab the files. I could swear I've done that in the past, but this time it's not allowing me to mount the drive. It's telling me that I need to place it in a windows machine and run chkdsk/f on it.

Could I just stick it in my Linux box as a second hard drive? would that work?
Or will I actually have to find a vista machine to do a chkdsk/f on it?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

It would work so long as the Linux box can read NTFS filesystems.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
If your linux box is actually telling you to run a chkdsk on the USB drive, then I would have to say that it is indeed mounted and being seen by the system. Your problem now though, is that Linux can't run a chkdsk and that your disk drive has issues.

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

antiserious to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
Click for full size
Why couldn't he use Disk Utility? Mine (Ubuntu 12.04) will view Smart data and run self-tests, even offers the option to check and repair file system. Obviously NTFS is supported here, that's easily done. I'd give it a try, just make sure it's out of the boot sequence.

Can't hurt.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to Snakeoil

Mod

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Could I just stick it in my Linux box as a second hard drive?

Internal drive or external USB drive -- that should not make any difference.

You should try manually mounting it with the "mount" command. And be sure to use "-o ro" when you try that. It is usually possible to mount a corrupt file system as read-only, though you might get some errors reading files.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I'll give that a whirl.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
This is just anecdote, but I've seen Ubuntu complain about NTFS formatted USB drives that where not properly unmounted. Sticking them on Windows box and then unmounting them did the trick.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

K.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to Maxo

MVM

to Maxo
said by Maxo:

This is just anecdote, but I've seen Ubuntu complain about NTFS formatted USB drives that where not properly unmounted. Sticking them on Windows box and then unmounting them did the trick.

this.
the other (anecdotal) downside i saw was the inability to mount the drive unless the specific chkdsk was done on the drive. i guess that a poweroff after the chkdsk had occurred (or was flagged on the drive) prevented the successful unmount of the drive.

this was done in vmware using virtual harddrives -- so i could have been fighting more than just the bare metal.

q.