All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dragnoak
join:2011-11-14
Racine, WI

dragnoak

New User, Turn Off Radio In Modem (non wireless user)

Hi,
I'm going to have ATT install U-Verse in my home. I'm a current TWC cable/internet user. I've been P.O.ed about the TWC rental fee for my 2 SA Explorer 8300HDC DVR boxes. ($50.00 for the 2). So I'm transitioning the TV portion to U-Verse, and keeping TWC for the internet connection.

For the U-Verse, I'm getting 2 WIRED boxes, not the wireless. I talked to one of their techs, who came out to check the signal on my pole. I needed to have a new cable strung, from the pole to my house, which was accomplished last night. The tech said that even with the 2 wired boxes, one of them will have a modem installed to "route" the signal between the 2 boxes. I told him that I don't want to have any radio transmissions emanating from my address, and he assured me that I could have the modem's radio turned off, as that was not needed for the 2 wired boxes. They would talk to each other over the CAT5. The wireless environment, in my neighborhood is overcrowded. My inSSIDer reports >30, 2.4 GHz access radios. Plus, I don't want U-Verse to pull a Comcast!

»www.extremetech.com/comp ··· the-year

Anyways, I thought I would ask this, in this thread.

1. How do you control the U-Verse modem, if you don't have the U-Verse internet?
2. Can I just plug into the modem using an Ethernet jack, attached to my computer, and surf to »192.168.1.1, enter the password, and turn off the radio?

Thanks for any information!

DragonRider

ortizdr
The One the Only
join:2014-01-15
North Richland Hills, TX

1 recommendation

ortizdr

You can disable it in the gateway. The address is actually 192.168.1.254

Once there you can disable the radio.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to dragnoak

Premium Member

to dragnoak
said by dragnoak:

Hi,
I'm going to have ATT install U-Verse in my home. I'm a current TWC cable/internet user. I've been P.O.ed about the TWC rental fee for my 2 SA Explorer 8300HDC DVR boxes. ($50.00 for the 2). So I'm transitioning the TV portion to U-Verse, and keeping TWC for the internet connection.

For the U-Verse, I'm getting 2 WIRED boxes, not the wireless. I talked to one of their techs, who came out to check the signal on my pole. I needed to have a new cable strung, from the pole to my house, which was accomplished last night. The tech said that even with the 2 wired boxes, one of them will have a modem installed to "route" the signal between the 2 boxes. I told him that I don't want to have any radio transmissions emanating from my address, and he assured me that I could have the modem's radio turned off, as that was not needed for the 2 wired boxes. They would talk to each other over the CAT5. The wireless environment, in my neighborhood is overcrowded. My inSSIDer reports >30, 2.4 GHz access radios. Plus, I don't want U-Verse to pull a Comcast!

»www.extremetech.com/comp ··· the-year

Anyways, I thought I would ask this, in this thread.

1. How do you control the U-Verse modem, if you don't have the U-Verse internet?
2. Can I just plug into the modem using an Ethernet jack, attached to my computer, and surf to »192.168.1.1, enter the password, and turn off the radio?

Thanks for any information!

DragonRider

As ortizdr said, all you have to do is go to 192.168.1.254 and when it asks for the password, it's the device access code on the side of the gateway. You can just Ethernet connect to it as you said or connect to it's wireless for a second to do so.

The gateway will be like any other modem/router device, it'll just deny you internet access on your devices since you don't subscribe.
dragnoak
Racine, WI

dragnoak to ortizdr

to ortizdr
Thanks a lot for the info, and the proper IP gateway modem address.

I only wanted to make sure I wasn't interfering with my neighbor's crappy signal.

DragonRider

David0417
Premium Member
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC

David0417 to dragnoak

Premium Member

to dragnoak
Just one note, having no internet from U-Verse any TV features that require internet will not work like interactive apps, on demand, etc.
dragnoak
Racine, WI

dragnoak

said by David0417:

Just one note, having no internet from U-Verse any TV features that require internet will not work like interactive apps, on demand, etc.

Thanks for the heads up. I really don't need any interactive apps, and I get all the "on demand" over the net anyways. (Well at least the sho/hbo/encore ... etc)

I'm keeping the TWC internet because:

1. I have a 30/5 connection that never goes down, except in a power outage. The 5 upload speed is more important than most user's think. First strike capability means "git thar fustest with the mostest." (even though Nathan Bedford Forrest didn't actually say that) Gamers will understand this concept! With U-Verse, every time I talked to their sales force, I only received vague references to "UP TO XX blah, blah" when I asked about what download speed I could expect. Then I asked about the upload speed. Fuget About it!

2. I use 450-500 GBs of downloads every month without throttling, or a "possibility" of a data cap. I'm not willing to risk a 250 GB cap.

Cheers

DragonRider

kode54
join:2003-09-19
Riverside, CA
Sercomm ES2251
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

kode54

This makes me think I could go through with switching just Internet to Charter Business, as they're the sole cable provider in this area, and they offer 60Mbps with unadvertised upstream that is likely to be at least 3Mbps, for a similar price to the 24/3 I have with U-verse now.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to David0417

Premium Member

to David0417
said by David0417:

Just to note, you can still use on demand without internet at least in my experience.