how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nightrider

join:2014-06-18

help me pick an ISP please!

The Basics:
I currently have AT&T U-verse (6mbps). I found out that some areas in my city had up to 24mbps. I was quite excited, but only to hear the fastest in my area is still at 6! I am too far from the CO to get any further.

So I am going to be shopping around for internet as my contract just expired and im paying $46 for 6mbps which is something I am not fond of.

I am looking for just internet, no tv or phone.
Here are my options from shopping around so far:

I can renew my ATT U-verse for 25.50 if I agree to a 12 month contract @ 6mbps (not too bad for the price, still can use my old gateway and have had rock solid service for the last year)

Sonic.net is out of the question because I do not need a phone line (no need for the extra cost)

Comcast for 29.99 + tax and fees for their performance (25 mbps). Not a bad price, I do like the speed but with other members on this forum saying that the service sucks and random outages does worry me some. (I do depend on the internet to get a lot of work done) Not to mention I would need to get a new modem and maybe an extra router.

Webpass--this sounded awesome but when I contacted them, found out I couldn't get service in my area.

So, this really leaves two contenders. ATT U-verse at only 6mbps for 25.50. I contacted them and asked when might I get a faster speed available. They replied that I should stay and wait it out a couple of months to see if I could get a faster speed (I feel like they were lying) or Comcast HSI at 25mbps for 29.99?

Thoughts? and sorry for the rambling!

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:18
Reviews:
·Comcast
Welcome to the site, nightrider.

I have Comcast Performance which is 25/5. It is very stable in my area. I'm in Alameda.

This is my normal speed no matter what time of the day.

nightrider

join:2014-06-18
Thanks sashwa!

Thats awesome to hear. I forgot to add, I spoke to my neighbor who has comcast and he loves it.

Sorry if this might be a bit personal, but how much did you pay for taxes and fees (im assuming its not too outrageous)

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:18
Reviews:
·Comcast
I have a bundle with TV and Internet. So I'm not sure what the taxes and fees would be for Internet alone but here is my breakdown:

FCC USER FEE$0.09
FRANCHISE FEE $6.15
PEG ACCESS SUPPORT $1.59
STATE SALES TAX $0.48
UTILITY TAX $8.06

Some of these fees may depend on the county and/or city you are in.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to nightrider
I'd pick comcast over U-verse. I've been running comcast 50/10 or 26/4 or 13/3 for years, it's rock solid.

If you're going comcast consider buying your own modem. A SURFboard SB6121 will cost you ~ $60 on amazon, and will pay for itself in 8 months (otherwise you rent a comcast modem at $8/mo)

Unbundled Performance (26/4) you're looking at $30/mo plus ~5 in fees for the first 12 months (plus $8 rental if you don't buy your own modem). Non-promo price is ~45/mo, but you can usually just call in and get a new promo rate after yours expires.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to nightrider
I would/have (since I am out of the Sonic coverage area) gone with Comcast but I highly suggest Comcast Business. With Business Class for a few dollars more you get excellent service (especially for comcrap) really good speeds (I'm on 50/10), no port blocking, Static IP's available and it that isn't enough for you, no caps.

Had them for over 5 years and they have been dependable. I would go with Sonic in a heartbeat if they could provide the speeds where I live... what a shame, Sonic is the best ISP I have ever had.

--

Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

It should be called Windows H8