spc
Search similar:

uniqs

WilliamDS
@162.206.238.x

WilliamDS

Anon

U Verse Upgrade - Not worth it.

I upgraded from DSL to U Verse on June 3rd, which was a big mistake. AT&T kept sending me letters every week bragging how I can now have 12MBPS speeds and reward card if I upgrade.... So I upgraded and my connection hasn't been stable since.

I lowered my plan from 12mbps to 6mbps and it fixed the disconnect issues but still get disconnected a few times a day just not as bad as it used to. Noise Margin was bouncing between 2db and 6db on 12mbps, changed it to 6mbps and now is between 10db and 17db.

I contacted AT&T and they run a line test and say my line isn't getting full sync so they send a technician out 5 times in 2 weeks... all say my line is fine.

I should of just stayed with DSL, it was so stable for me, could be up 8months without a disconnect.

I also notice my noise margin is slowly dropping late at night.. during the day it will go back up higher.

AT&T claims U Verse is the future and stable... Hello, it is crap! I miss Bellsouth days.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

Sorry to hear about your issues. Why not post in the
AT&T direct forum and direct your issue to David.

I agree about Bell South (before SBC/AT&T buyout) was a much better company to deal with. They actually were very active with laying fiber and at least doing FTTH in areas until the buyout.

I know that we have one neighborhood in our area that had FTTH nodes as early as 2007 or so.

WilliamDS
@162.206.238.x

WilliamDS

Anon

Sorry still learning about this forum. My area don't have fiber yet so I'm actually on their U Verse plan which is really DSL. I think U Verse only good for those who actually have fiber lines to their homes. I'm in an apartment complex so when techicans come out they scratch their heads looking in the box outside because it is a mess. DSL used to route me to Atlanta. U Verse routes me to Birmingham AL.

screaming
@64.233.148.x

screaming to WilliamDS

Anon

to WilliamDS
I had the same problem when going from 6 to 12. The att tech had to come and run cat 5 from the nid to the jack i was using. that fixed the disconnecting/retraining.

WilliamDS
@162.206.238.x

WilliamDS

Anon

I wish they would do that for me but being in an apartment complex I don't think they're willing to run cat5 through my walls. It would be nice cause I would not mind paying more for more speed
CaliNine
join:2014-05-12
United State

CaliNine

They did it for me, I live on the second floor though. I ended up disconnecting my service 2 days after my installation. High ping and unstable connection, not to mention it took 12 days for the technician to install my internet.

WilliamDS
@162.206.238.x

WilliamDS

Anon

I know my lines are old but they rather tell me I'm like 2,000 ft out of range from the VRAD and go on their way.

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

Trihexagonal5 to WilliamDS

to WilliamDS
I just changed my service from AT&T DSL to U-Verse yesterday, the tech is scheduled to come 6-24 to bring the modem and check everything out. I was getting 6MBps and they claimed I'll be getting 18MBps now.

They did give me a good deal. The promo on my old deal ran out last month and my monthly bill went up from $56 to $75.a month (phone and internet service combined), so I told them I was thinking about switching to Charter. I'm getting U-Verse for my old rate on a 1 year contract, with 200 free minutes long distance in addition to the speed increase, and since I'm a long time customer they waived the cost of the modem (a $100 value) and the tech service call. I informed him I had my own Netgear router/modem I was running bridged to a pfSense firewall, but he stated I needed the 2Wire the tech would bring.

I explained that any work done in my building needs prior approval and the person I spoke to stated no new wires/cable would need to be run, but I'd bet anything nobody else in my building has U-Verse. He stated my PPOE settings on my hardware firewall wouldn't need to be changed and made it sound relatively painless to switch over.

If there's anything I should know before he shows up I'd appreciate the heads up.

Kett2000
Premium Member
join:2002-04-23
Lilburn, GA

Kett2000

Premium Member

You'd need to setup your new modem in DMZPlus (2Wire) or IP Passthrough (Motorola) mode depending on which modem you receive from AT&T.

How to configure DMZPlus for a 2Wire modem -> »forums.att.com/t5/Reside ··· /2707013

How to configure IP Passthough for a Motorola modem -> »forums.att.com/t5/Featur ··· /3552057

Trihexagonal5
US

Trihexagonal5

Thanks a lot, that will probably save me a major headache. It will be a 2Wire but I don't know what model.

I ran the old 2Wire router/modem I had in double Nat mode with my pfSense firewall, they claimed at the time they didn't support their equipment if you ran it in bridged mode. When I informed the tech person I spoke to that I was running my Netgear in bridge mode, and my pfSense box was acting as the router, he assured me I'd be able to run the 2Wire bridged as well, which I realize could have little to no bearing on the reality of it.

I don't know if I should go ahead and connect my laptop directly to my Netgear before he gets here to simplify things and fiddle with my pfSense box after he leaves or not. My laptop is a FreeBSD box and I need to run an ifconfig command to change the LAN IP, reboot, then connect directly to my Netgear to Administer it. (I know there's a way to set up up differently where I can Administer the Netgear without going through all that.)

What initially looked like it was going to be relatively painless might not be, but will surely be easier now that I have the directions to refer to you provided. Thanks again.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

said by Trihexagonal5:

stated no new wires/cable would need to be run

Though you may be fine for now, for lower speed tiers, reusing internal phone wiring (depending on your line distance to VRAD and wiring quality), I'd take every opportunity AT&T gave to get better wiring.

I was getting max-sync on 2wire/Pace gateway, Max Turbo:

~60kbps, via isolated 40 feet or so of bad old internal phone wiring to the NID.

For Power tier, Motorola/Arris gateway (per-line):

~70kbps, mandatory dedicated cat5e home-run

I'm sure both the newer gateway and the dedicated cat5e contributed, likely cat5e contributed the most. Even old IW was more than enough in my case. Tech told me my line distance was 1300 feet (UVR reported less).

Believe AT&T is biting the bullet here, investing in the dedicated cat5e in a sense (though inconsistently charging, or not, customers for the rewiring), and exploiting Power upgrades as opportunity to become (short-term) future proof, ensuring more customers will be ready and eligible to upgrade beyond Power.

Trihexagonal5
US

Trihexagonal5

Unless they've done a previous upgrade I'm not aware of I'm sure the wiring in this building is old as dirt.

When Charter hooked up my HD service they had to run new cables through the walls, I'm on the 4th floor and they were at it for at least a couple hours. I'm sure Management would go along with them upgrading the lines, but they want to micromanage everything for some reason.

On the bright side, I'm only 1000 feet or so from the AT&T building.