spc
Search similar:

uniqs
worknman
join:2010-06-21
Austin, TX

worknman

Arris DG1670A vs RT-N56U ?

I got a thing in the mail from TWC, saying they were going to increase my speed - gave me a URL to order a new modem, which they said would be necessary. I didn't think to ask whether it would be a modem or a combination modem/wifi router, and ended up with the latter. Says it's an Arris DG1670A. There's no WAN port on this thing, so using my existing Asus RT-N56U hard-wired to it is not an option, I guess.

So before I waste my time hooking up this Arris (which is going to be a considerable pain because my modem and router are across the room from each other) and activating it, wanted to ask you guys what you think of the router capabilities on this thing, and if anyone knows how it compares to the Asus? I suspect I'll have to hook it up and see, but I'm trying to save myself the trouble :P

I got the Asus router to replace an old D-Link I had, because the Asus had a good enough range to provide a strong signal to my back bedroom, without having to have a wireless repeater set up in the living room. I really don't want to go back to that setup, if this Arris ends up being a POS.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by worknman:

There's no WAN port on this thing, so using my existing Asus RT-N56U hard-wired to it is not an option, I guess.

Because it has a built in router.. You could just hook your Asus up to one of the Ethernet ports on it and ensure it's not using the same NAT IP Address block and keep using the WiFi on the ASUS.. or disable DHCP on the ASUS and allow the Arris provide IP addresses to everything connected to the ASUS.

Natedog321
join:2001-01-10
Raleigh, NC

Natedog321 to worknman

to worknman
All you need to do is get TWC to put the modem in bridged mode, and it will give a public IP to your router. Most likely you will need to speak with Tier 3 support.
CaliNine
join:2014-05-12
United State

CaliNine to worknman

to worknman
I'm using a Nighthawk router with it, my speeds drop constantly. There's no other modems for sale right now that support the new speeds.