spc
Search similar:

uniqs
AZinOH
join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

AZinOH

Someday An Asphalt Driveway?

When the house was built all we could afford was crushed stone for the 25 x 50 ft parking area and the 160 ft straight single lane driveway. Before I ask a professional for an estimate, any ideas if this is a $2K job...$5K...or more? I just need to know which ballpark I'm in without wasting someone's time. Thanks.

AZ

fluffybunny
@65.110.16.x

fluffybunny

Anon

$6K
i just did mine

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
In this region, $2.30 per square foot is not unusual.

Site work to improve drainage can increase that.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
Paved mine last spring (as in a year ago...)

22x45 drive - Was $2k cash.

Assuming prices are compariable in your area, $5.5-6k would be in the ballpark.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to AZinOH

to AZinOH
said by AZinOH:

Before I ask a professional for an estimate, any ideas if this is a $2K job...$5K...or more?

All driveways are not created equal. One of the factors that affect driveway durability is the thickness and quality of the Asphalt. Make sure the contractor specifies the above parameters. My parents had a driveway paved with Asphalt, unfortunately it started to break up after about three years because the contractor used to thin a layer of low quality Asphalt.
AZinOH
join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

AZinOH

What is a desirable level of thickness? What makes one asphalt high quality and another low quality?

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
I hear that there are some gypsies that will seal your crusher driveway for $20.00. It has a Taillight guarantee. The guarantee lasts as long as you can see the taillights on the truck as it leaves!

seginus
join:2008-01-30
Wendell, NC

seginus to AZinOH

to AZinOH
I wonder what the cost would be for laying down epoxy/binder over the whole thing? I know you can do it with stone/gravel patios. Would take a lot of binder but...

flibby3655
MAGA
Premium Member
join:2004-12-19
Lompoc, CA

flibby3655 to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
A lot of good info here »www.asphaltpavement.org/ ··· emid=489
66860111 (banned)
join:2014-04-28

66860111 (banned) to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

said by AZinOH:

Before I ask a professional for an estimate, any ideas if this is a $2K job...$5K...or more?

All driveways are not created equal. One of the factors that affect driveway durability is the thickness and quality of the Asphalt. Make sure the contractor specifies the above parameters. My parents had a driveway paved with Asphalt, unfortunately it started to break up after about three years because the contractor used to thin a layer of low quality Asphalt.

Asphalt is asphalt. That said the thickness and base layer vary from no base layer and a thin top coat as your parents got to a 3" base with a 2" top layer which is what I got.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by 66860111:

Asphalt is asphalt.

Not even close to being true...there are many grades.
66860111 (banned)

66860111 (banned)

said by John Galt6:

said by 66860111:

Asphalt is asphalt.

Not even close to being true...there are many grades.

Links? References? I'm from Missouri the show me state.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

Asphalt isn't asphLt. Just look at racetracks that have been recently repaved. It's not the same shit they use on streets
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to AZinOH

to AZinOH
there are different grades, my neighbor just a did a very high grade drive way. it cost 14k, lower grade was 8k

blew my mind, i actually think concrete is cheaper now

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

2 recommendations

John Galt6 to 66860111

Premium Member

to 66860111
»www.asphaltpavement.org/ ··· ndex.php

Here's one with pictures

»www.state.nj.us/transpor ··· 0709.pdf

If you need a few hundred more references, lemme know.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to AZinOH

MVM

to AZinOH
I had my asphalt drive replaced a few years ago... 21 wide at the top, stepped in to 17 wide at the bottom...60 feet long... $2,100. That included new base material and 4" asphalt. Local guy! As I write this my neighbor is having his drive and garage redone with concrete... $5.30/sq.ft. Concrete is still about twice the price of asphalt.
66860111 (banned)

66860111 (banned) to John Galt6

to John Galt6
said by John Galt6:

»www.asphaltpavement.org/ ··· ndex.php

Here's one with pictures

»www.state.nj.us/transpor ··· 0709.pdf

If you need a few hundred more references, lemme know.

Hundreds would be nice!

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to Pacrat

Premium Member

to Pacrat
said by Pacrat:

Concrete is still about twice the price of asphalt

Concrete by itself is about $100 /cu yd, even less in large amounts.
1 cu yd covers 81sqft at 4" thickness. That comes to roughly 1.25/sqft in material cost. Even when you add the reinforcement mesh it's still not that much...
66860111 (banned)

3 edits

1 recommendation

66860111 (banned) to LittleBill

to LittleBill
said by LittleBill:

there are different grades, my neighbor just a did a very high grade drive way. it cost 14k, lower grade was 8k

blew my mind, i actually think concrete is cheaper now

A thicker install will do that. I was quoted $2,000 for a normal job and $5,000 for a high grade job. The same asphalt, base, binder, etc. just more of it. It requires a lot more time and skill as well so not everyone does it. Other then that the only differences they can do to the base asphalt is aggregate and binders. That's doesn't denote different grades though just different applications of the same product. Think of an oil paint as the base. You can add anti-skid stuff or mold additive or different colors. You can thin to spray it or brush/roll it on by hand but in the end it's the same product no matter what you add to it.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO

7 recommendations

randavis

I have worked at an asphalt plant for 15 years. You are very misinformed about the composition of asphalt, or more correctly, bituminous asphaltic cement. We have made asphalt for many different applications, including Kansas Speedway, Kansas City International Airport, and DOT jobs in Missouri and Kansas.

Each mix design is submitted to a lab to be tested for performance and then approved.

There are many different classes of the asphalt oil. Each having its own unique properties. These properties can be modified by adding polymers or other additives.

For driveways, our company usually suggests a compacted soil base. A cheap driveway would probably have a two inch thick layer of what we call "type 2" recycle asphalt. That would contain sand, crushed limestone from 1/4 inch to 1 inch and about 30% recycled asphalt.

A better job would use a Type 1 recycle base asphalt which contains up to 1-1/4 inch limestone. You would use a 2 or 3 inch layer of type 1 and then a 1-1/2 to 2 inch layer of type 3 which uses up to 3/4 inch limestone.

The coarser mixes are for strength and the finer mix is for the smoothness.

The asphalt used on our highways is produced with very close tolerances to the design. There is continous testing while making and laying the asphalt. Many times there are two independent testing labs on the same job.

There are many types and grades of asphalt. One product does not fit all.

In reality, starting from dirt, it would probably be cheaper to use concrete. It would definitely last longer.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Thank you for the information. A knowledgeable source is always good to hear from.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by Jack_in_VA:

Thank you for the information. A knowledgeable source is always good to hear from.

Isn't everyone a knowledgeable source on the inter-webs?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

There is so much misinformation and wrong advice that it's bad for a novice that really needs accurate information on his/her questions. A lot of us can filter it out but some don't have the ability.
Simplicity
Premium Member
join:2014-04-21

Simplicity to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
What's the difference in the cost of asphalt v concrete? I only know the concrete is more expensive but it also lasts much longer.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO

2 recommendations

randavis

Around Kansas City, it is about the same. Concrete is sold by the cubic yard while asphalt is sold by the ton. To construct a driveway, you should have a minimum of 3 inches of concrete while a comparable asphalt driveway should be laid in two layers, the first base layer should be 2 to 3 inches and the surface layer should be 1-1/2 to 2 inches. You could lay one 2-1/2 to 3 inch layer of asphalt, but the two layer option would last much longer. You don't get as much compaction on a thicker layer when you roll it.

One thing to consider is how stable is your grade? Also, is drainage an issue. Asphalt and water do not play well together.

If concrete is used, rebar or wire mesh is needed. Many concrete plants around here will mix fiber in it. Also be aware that concrete is weight rated, 2000 lb., 4000 lb. etc. The higher rated mixes cost more, but should hold up better.
Zoe5
join:2014-06-07
US

Zoe5 to AZinOH

to AZinOH
You do not want an asphalt driveway........ever!
said by randavis:

In reality, starting from dirt, it would probably be cheaper to use concrete. It would definitely last longer.

Do you need a better recommendation?
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

2 recommendations

Critsmcgee to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

There is so much misinformation and wrong advice that it's bad for a novice that really needs accurate information on his/her questions. A lot of us can filter it out but some don't have the ability.

You missed the whole point. That's actually kind of amusing.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

It's not amusing the wrong information given to people with legitimate questions. We have a few on here that are "experts" on every topic posted.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
Concrete
said by AZinOH:

When the house was built all we could afford was crushed stone for the 25 x 50 ft parking area and the 160 ft straight single lane driveway. Before I ask a professional for an estimate, any ideas if this is a $2K job...$5K...or more? I just need to know which ballpark I'm in without wasting someone's time. Thanks.

AZ

Concrete if you plain on staying more then 5 years

Concrete will last significantly longer then Asphalt. it also looks better

Asphalt is very tacky for a residential home
for apartments it's fine.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

just to add a bit more to this.

my parents removed asphalt and laid concrete, prolly over 15 years ago,

although it has chipped and cracked in places, it has outlasted 2 asphalt drives their neighbor has put in