O Fallon, MO
·Charter

3 recommendations

nunya to scross

MVM

to scross

Re: Solar socket

Looks a lot like: »www.generlink.com/about_ ··· link.cfm

I don't see how skipping one (essentially minor) step in the wiring process is going to save all that much money. They are fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

Another issue: Just like the generlink, I'll bet most utilities poo-poo the idea.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross

So it's not really a new idea, then. I'll read up on the Generlink to see what folks have to say about that. They keep saying that the costs of solar hardware has dropped so much these days that permitting/installation is where the real potential for future cost improvement is now, so anything that helps here is a big deal.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to nunya

MVM

to nunya
said by nunya:

I don't see how skipping one (essentially minor) step in the wiring process is going to save all that much money.

Agree - adding a backfeed breaker to the panel when installing a grid-tie system seems pretty easy and low cost. If the installation provides emergency power need to add a disconnect which I assume is beyond the scope of the product. Plus for aesthetic reasons I prefer my wiring to be inside the building.

More power to them if they are successful but the reason I have not opted to install a PV array is panel cost and I would like to provide backup power during utility outage but there is no (IMHO) appropriate low cost low maintenance storage available yet.

/tom

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

said by tschmidt:

... but there is no (IMHO) appropriate low cost low maintenance storage available yet.

"Some industries", that pay many millions to keep the senate and congress on short leashes would like that trend to continue.

flibby3655
MAGA
Premium Member
join:2004-12-19
Lompoc, CA
ARRIS SB6141

flibby3655 to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
Any idea what those cost? No info on their web site and I don't feel like calling. Interesting idea! Thanks.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
Reminded me of those power tap adapters that allow one neighbor to power another if their feed lines are damaged.

As per code in Ontario, anyplace with solar panels requires a second meter, but not to worry the insane amount they pay to solar producers means you will break even in a few years and then get profit for the next 15.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to nunya

Mod

to nunya
said by nunya:

Another issue: Just like the generlink, I'll bet most utilities poo-poo the idea.

Actually, everyone seems to be missing the most important part of the future device.

"Infinite is working on developing an advanced version of its solar socket that will allow utilities to monitor and control the amount of solar electricity that flows onto the grid by communicating with the inverter via the cellular technology embedded in the new version of ConnectDER."

My guess is that utilities would really like to be able to do this. However there appear to be regulatory hurdles.

"While utilities would like to be able to control solar energy production, many of them can’t do that, at least not now. That’s because regulations, which mostly come from states, typically don’t allow utilities to control the energy production of solar panels they don’t own."

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

That's why IMO this product will never see prime time. People with solar panels are not about to give up control of their panels to a utility or electrical distribution authority.

The company will like most of the others declare bankruptcy and quietly vanish with the principals smiling all the way to the bank.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to robbin

MVM

to robbin
"Net meters" already exist and are already in use. They do the same thing.

This isn't a D or R issue. This is common sense. Residential solar is basically "feelgood" technology. In very few places does it actually make sense (basically areas of the S and SW with high electric rates). If "greenies" knew the amount of pollution, waste, and energy the went into PV panel production, they would be appalled. This is known as "solar's dirty little secret".

It's quite well known that my political leanings are to the right (correct) side. But, I believe that climate change is real. I believe global warming is real. I believe that we humans are destroying our only home.
Even if all these problems were made up and not real, we are stewards of this earth. Pumping out all this pollution certainly can't be doing any good. I don't think any body can argue with that.

So far, there has been a lot of misguided attempts at reducing green house gas emissions. Many funded on the back of the taxpayers.

This country needs to get serious about solar and wind and stop pussyfooting around with all this micro BS. We need large array plants in the desserts. We need windmills on the plains and in the oceans. We need electric cars that are actually reliable and practical.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya

I don't see how skipping one (essentially minor) step in the wiring process is going to save all that much money. They are fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

There is one problem that this solves - bus capacity for larger arrays.

When I had my 5.3kw system installed, I got a bit lucky that my panel happened to be the 125A variety even though it had a 100A main. If it were a 100A panel, I would have been limited to a 3.8kw system, or I would have had to replace the panel.

Since this device goes on the other side of the main, it doesn't have this issue.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to flibby3655

to flibby3655
said by flibby3655:

Any idea what those cost? No info on their web site and I don't feel like calling. Interesting idea! Thanks.

This thread from a few years back mentions pricing. There are some other threads floating around here, too.

»Generlink
alphageek911
join:2007-08-10
Fresno, CA

1 recommendation

alphageek911 to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

"Infinite is working on developing an advanced version of its solar socket that will allow utilities to monitor and control the amount of solar electricity that flows onto the grid by communicating with the inverter via the cellular technology embedded in the new version of ConnectDER."

My guess is that utilities would really like to be able to do this.

Indeed, I would think that the utility companies would love to be able to throttle the amount of energy that a customer could sell back to the grid.... "We've got all the energy we need today, thanks anyway. Please stop selling power to us at peak billing rates, and buy more power from us tonight, when the sun isn't shining".

I'm having trouble seeing how that's a selling point for the ConnectDER....