uniqs

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Toner Refill, generic cartridge, or Genuine Cartridge...

I have an old Brother laser printer that was given to me a few years ago (I think it is a Brother HL-2140). After using it for a while, it finally ran out of toner last night (including doing the tape over the window trick).

My options are to either buy a new, genuine Brother toner cartridge. Either $85 for the extended range (2600 pages), $50 for the regular cartridge (1500 pages), or I can buy a generic cartridge from $10-30. OR.... I can get a "Refill Kit" for $10.....

I don't use this printer often. It's mostly for odd work here or there. Because of the price, the $85 is out... I can buy the printer new for $100.

I'm tempted to do the refill route, since the existing cartridge is a genuine Brother cartridge, and hasn't been refilled before (still has seal over port). It didn't streak or anything, and printed great....

I'm hesitant to use a generic cartridge, as I think they are usually just refilled. I can do that myself!

I was wondering what other experiences people have had with refilling laser cartridges vs buying a replacement cartridge.

joe0307
Z3
join:2001-06-25
The Villages, FL

joe0307

I used this company for my Dell Toner and they worked flawlessly. »www.inkcartridges.com/
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
I've used both at work and find that the refill cartridges generally produce less consistent print quality (especially the first ream or so) and occasionally have other issues I've never seen in an original cartridges. For my home printers I stick with original manufacturer cartridges.

As for refilling it yourself, IMO it's not really work the potential mess for saving a few bucks more. Might as well just buy the refill cartridges with at least some sort of warranty.

Splain
Splain
join:2001-08-02
Las Vegas, NV

Splain to neonhomer

to neonhomer
I have a brother HL-2040 and have had great luck with 3rd party toners and even tried a 3rd party drum, and they both work fine. Just check Ebay and do your research.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27 to neonhomer

to neonhomer
When I comes to toner and ink I always use genuine parts. I have repaired too many printers in the past because the customer didn't use a genuine toner.

And your theory on paying $100 for. New printer doesn't hold water since the beginner toner you get will only do about 500-1000 pages. If you look around you will prob find it cheaper.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to neonhomer

MVM

to neonhomer
If you don't use it very often, how long with the $50 cartridge last you? I had a Dell 3100cn for almost seven years and didn't even go through the first set of cartridges, but they were good for 4,000 pages.

I'm with nyrrule27 See Profile in only using OEM parts and new machines having "starter" cartridges.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I checked out WalMart's website... they have the high yield cartridge for $50..... I might just order it from them and be done with it.

This printer lasts long enough, my 12 yr old might be using it in high school in a couple of years..