Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

2 recommendations

Official Steam Summer Sale Megathread

Kicking off the Steam Summer Sale thread where I'll try to update with the latest deals, advice, and conversation on how to navigate through these deals.

When
June 19th - June 30th

The general flow-chart:

»i.imgur.com/Xi4aE.png

Here's another flow-chart. It's more complicated, but it gives some more thought to the process.

»i.imgur.com/fTmCXPp.png

I didn't embed either because they'd blow out the margins in the thread. Sale starts supposedly at 1pm today.

Obligatory:

--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

»steamdb.info/sales/

Another resource for Steam Sales.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

That picture is great and horrifying at the same time... I had to show a few co-workers.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Archivis

I pretty much managed to pick up everything I wanted during the last couple of years... there's nothing I need and don't see myself buying much, except maybe a game or two.

(Famous last words of many [myself included] during every Steam summer sale.)

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
kudos:12

said by ekster:

I pretty much managed to pick up everything I wanted during the last couple of years... there's nothing I need and don't see myself buying much, except maybe a game or two.

Said everyone before some how adding another 50-100 games to their library during the sale.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Archivis

TEAM SUMMER SALE SURVIVAL GUIDE 2014 by boogie2988

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrKb_BDrkIM

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

That still of the video looks like he's trying to decide between farting and having an aneurysm.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Archivis

Click for full size
Day 1 deals

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Archivis

Click for full size
6-19 Daily
Click for full size
6-19 Flash Sales
Sale has begun:

»store.steampowered.com/

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

My personal thoughts on some of the games that are out. I have played Mirror's Edge to completion. If you haven't played it, there is none other like it and I strongly recommend it. It is a staple game of the gaming genre.

I just saw a discussion on Reddit about "Don't Starve" and it looks interesting. It also looks very difficult. For $3.74, I think it's worth picking up. It's a solo game, with the mention that it will expand into co-op play later on. With that in mind, it might be very good to pick up.

Far Cry 3 is a great game, a mix of an FPS style with GTA-esque storyline on an island. I didn't finish it, but like the Far Cry and Crysis games, it demands a better video card. For $7.49, it looks like a steal.

Witcher 2 is also a gaming staple. It wasn't something that grabbed my interest, but there are others who swear by it. 80% off at $3.99, there's no reason not to pick this up.

Day Z at 15% seems like a weak sale in my opinion. If you don't know what it's about by now, go look it up. If you like the idea of getting in an open world game, held hostage by a bunch of teenagers and being forced to drink bleach until you die, this game might be for you.

The other games I can't vouch for, but with games like Xcom being 83% off at $8.49 or Hotline Miama sitting 85% off at $1.49, you can test these games out without much risk.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

Lincoln, NE

Hotline Miami was one of the best games to come out in recent years. Fantastic sound track, tight game play, fun art style, all around great. It is worth full price, at $1.49 there is zero reason to not own this game.

XCOM is great if you like turn based strategy games with some base building elements. Play with Ironman on.

Agree with everything else you said, Don't Starve is great, Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs ever made, Mirrors Edge is super unique and fun, etc.

Seriously though, if no one here has played Hotline Miami you really should.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Archivis

Click for full size
And so it begins.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to Archivis

I never finished FarCry, I never played FarCry2, but farCry3 for $7.50 looks like a deal.
Witcher 2 made my carpal tunnel cry like a baby, one of a few reasons I never finished it.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Archivis

I bought Witcher2 and 2 copies of Don't Starve for me and the wife. I already have Hotline Miami, apparently. Must have been from one of the bundles I participated in.

That's all I'm snagging for this cycle. We'll see what the next flash/daily sales bring.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Archivis

Also, make sure you guys vote on the community choice. IMO, the games are better than the soundtracks with the possibility of Torchlight 2 going on sale for $5 (75% off) and South Park Stick of Truth at $40.20 (33% off).
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Archivis

There are other games that are on sale that aren't being listed.

Payday 2 is 66% off, as well as the Gage DLC.
--

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to Archivis

Just purchased Farcry 3 and Witcher 2. Wish me luck.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

Also, I read that if PayDay2 was 66% off but not on the summer sale, then hold onto your wallets and wait, because it'll be even cheaper by the end of the month.
--

Deremus

join:2011-09-01
Chandler, AZ
reply to Archivis

The original Sin of a Solar Empire has been my favorite RTS for a number of years now, so I will definitely need to check out that Rebellion game. If it's anything like the original, I would highly recommend it for RTS fans who want a break from a ground based RTS.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

Lincoln, NE
reply to Archivis

I had to vote Soundtrack category because they are better games. Fez and Dust are both phenomenal and the other two are quite good. And all do have amazing soundtracks, especially Fez and Dust. That said I think I own all the games from both categories except 7 Days to Die or whatever it was and it doesn't interest me.
--

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Deremus

said by Deremus:

The original Sin of a Solar Empire has been my favorite RTS for a number of years now, so I will definitely need to check out that Rebellion game. If it's anything like the original, I would highly recommend it for RTS fans who want a break from a ground based RTS.

Rebellion is good, 2x the factions (each faction has a rebellion version) super dreadnaughts introduced (which is both good and bad), one per faction at any time.
My favorite version is entrenchment, it's basically vanilla with starbases.
I've not purchased or played diplomacy, nor anything after rebellion.
--
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
~ Project Hope ~

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Archivis

Ahh shit...I'm waiting for Dynasty Warriors 8 to go on sale. Best button mashing series ever released. I'm hoping they're going to do a 50% off on that one.

I'm also waiting on Transistor.

Hotline Miami is an awesome indi-game.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

Lincoln, NE

said by Ghastlyone:

Transistor is worth every penny of the normal full price. I'll be surprised if they put too much off on it, I wouldn't expect any more than 25% off.

Regardless, game is absolutely fantastic and has one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a game.
--

kcrupp

join:2002-02-11
Allen Park, MI
reply to Archivis

Yawn. My wallet is safe today. Half this stuff I have from previous sales and still haven't played.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Adalicia

said by Adalicia:

said by Ghastlyone:

Transistor is worth every penny of the normal full price. I'll be surprised if they put too much off on it, I wouldn't expect any more than 25% off.

Regardless, game is absolutely fantastic and has one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a game.

Transistor is currently 10% off right now. I've had my eye on this one for awhile. Sometimes these game get better deals later in the week. We'll see. It does look like a cool ass game.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to Archivis

I'll probably pick up Mirror's Edge, never got around to playing that one and a sequel's coming out.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Archivis

I have DayZ and I think it's headed down the tubes. I wouldn't waste my money on that one right now.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

I am ready for this.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
reply to Archivis

Unable to login the whole time... I'm at a point where I now wonder if I forgot the password and keep entering the wrong one.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Dissembled

I'm staying away from DayZ. It looks like it has the potential to be awesome, but if I give it a shot, it's the only shot it gets and I want to give it a fair shot, not a tainted view from the alpha.
--