All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BrittMJ
@71.182.149.x

BrittMJ

Anon

[Scam] Am i going to jail over a Work at Home scam?

It was an work from home job and all i had to do was follow his instructions for $300 a week. I think he was using a fake name that is Keith Grant in his emails. it started last week around Tuesday. i gave him my bank account information like a idiot and then he sent $2,300 in my account. on the first day i withdraw $100 from my bank that was cleared and then use moneygram to a name he gave me that was Emmanuel O Adepegbra in Nigeria. i didn't think much about it that day. next day when all the money was cleared as so i thought i followed his instructions again and wired another person name Teresa Mowers in Michigan about $1,900 by using western union and keep the rest of it. every thing was fine until last Wednesday i check my balance and found out that the bank return the check. i told him what happen he said i was a maintenance thing at the bank then i call the bank and they told me that the check was returned because it not real. he got mad that i call the bank and i stop the last transfer of $100. He said he was going to report me because i stop the transfer and i said i that i am quitting. I had to change my email and phone number. It was too late for to get $1900 back. I report him to The Federal Trade Commission, IC3, the police, and other scam sites. I don't know what i was thinking i just got caught up in finally making my owe money.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

3 recommendations

Camelot One

MVM

I say this with all due respect...... are you a complete idiot? How could you possibly think this was anything other than a scam? There is absolutely NO part of this that even hints at being legitimate. There is also no part of this that hasn't been hashed out, warned about, and listed across the internet and news media for years.

No, you probably aren't going to jail, assuming you can document the chain of events the way you describe. But you will be liable for the money. Get ready to find a way to come up with the funds to cover the bad checks you deposited. They will all be bad. No doubt about it. Even those that aren't fake, were simply stolen, and will come back to hit your account eventually. The bank WILL come after you for the money. And they money you sent via money graham and western union was nothing but a gift to the scammer.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

2 recommendations

PeeWee to BrittMJ

Premium Member

to BrittMJ
said by BrittMJ :

It was an work from home job and all i had to do was follow his instructions for $300 a week. I think he was using a fake name that is Keith Grant in his emails. it started last week around Tuesday. i gave him my bank account information like a idiot and then he sent $2,300 in my account. on the first day i withdraw $100 from my bank that was cleared and then use moneygram to a name he gave me that was Emmanuel O Adepegbra in Nigeria. i didn't think much about it that day. next day when all the money was cleared as so i thought i followed his instructions again and wired another person name Teresa Mowers in Michigan about $1,900 by using western union and keep the rest of it. every thing was fine until last Wednesday i check my balance and found out that the bank return the check. i told him what happen he said i was a maintenance thing at the bank then i call the bank and they told me that the check was returned because it not real. he got mad that i call the bank and i stop the last transfer of $100. He said he was going to report me because i stop the transfer and i said i that i am quitting. I had to change my email and phone number. It was too late for to get $1900 back. I report him to The Federal Trade Commission, IC3, the police, and other scam sites. I don't know what i was thinking i just got caught up in finally making my owe money.

Oh come on. Really!

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to BrittMJ

Mod

to BrittMJ
My guess (and it is only a guess), is that you will not go to jail over this.

You may run into problems with credit ratings. You may have some interviews with police.

Remember the old saying: If it sounds too good to be true ...
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

1 recommendation

Xtreme2damax to BrittMJ

to BrittMJ
I can't help but feel in a lot of these cases we are being trolled. After all the op in these threads never responds again and no one can really be that dense, right? :/

Anyways in due time we can hope to see some Darwin awards lol. If the human race continues like this we'll be weeded out in no time and go the way of dinosaurs.

Really, I mean really with all the media coverage and stuff around the internet or even having knowledgeable friends or family how can someone fall for this crap? Don't be lazy and do some clucking research, ask someone you know even if you are hard pressed for cash else you can end up facing far more severe consequences in the long run.

Take this as a lesson learned and be more careful, pay attention to the news or research with a simple web search which would have told you this is a scam or any other common scams. If you still aren't sure request insight from a knowledgeable and savvy friend or family member. There is just no excuse be it laziness or ignorance and as the law states ignorance is not an excuse. You could basically be accused of being an accessory or perpetrator of this crime, launder/transfer of illegitimate fraudulent funds and cashing a bad check. At the very least you'll owe the bank dearly for any money withdrawn and spent.

Well I wish you luck that it doesn't escalate beyond being interviewed by police and/or being required to pay the bank back if any of this is actually true.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

3 recommendations

nwrickert

Mod

said by Xtreme2damax:

I can't help but feel in a lot of these cases we are being trolled. After all the op in these threads never responds again and no one can really be that dense, right? :/

Yes, it's a possibility (that we are being trolled).

That the OP never responds again is not all that surprising. The OP is usually an anonymous poster. If he/she does post again, we might not recognize that (he might use a different alias).

A non-trolling poster might want to warn others, but not stay around for the debate. I don't see that as surprising.

I'm not sure that it matters. When we post to one of these threads, we should be posting something that will help others who do read the thread. Whether that includes the OP is not all that important.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to BrittMJ

Premium Member

to BrittMJ
this reminds me of the person that posted here a while ago, who knew they were doing something wrong as they were making good money. After we confirmed what he was doing was wrong, he also disappeared. Wonder what ever happened to them.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to Xtreme2damax

Premium Member

to Xtreme2damax
said by Xtreme2damax:

I can't help but feel in a lot of these cases we are being trolled.

Yes, I'm sure that's true too.
nwrickert See Profile nailed the solution.

"When we post to one of these threads, we should be posting something that will help others who do read the thread. Whether that includes the OP is not all that important."

That's so profound on many levels.
psloss
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24

psloss to BrittMJ

Premium Member

to BrittMJ
Brian Krebs has been writing about this for a long time:
»krebsonsecurity.com/tag/ ··· y-mules/

A specific example:
»krebsonsecurity.com/2012 ··· d-cards/
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

1 recommendation

Nanaki (banned) to BrittMJ

to BrittMJ
As a computer tech who posts adds on craigs list i get fake replies all the time pretending to be people wanting to farm some repair work out to me. Saddly i sort of half to reply to them even knowing that 99.9% of them are scams. Simple fact is one leggit one could be worth literally $1000s in extra work. I can spot the scammer when they reply back as they always ask for bank account info or money etc. Any one who is legit would send out a contract and use a wire transfer method such as say paypal etc that does not require giving them access that they could withdraw money from my accounts.

Use common sense that is all you really need to avoid being scammed out of your hard earned money.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to BrittMJ

Premium Member

to BrittMJ
Nigerian scam 101 there, buddy.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to BrittMJ

Premium Member

to BrittMJ
I also advertised on craigslist once. I was never asked for account info. They just sent fake checks. I then called the companies who's name was on the check to let them know. One company offered me a legitimate job. Another, in NY, didn't seem concerned. lol.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

LOL question did you take the job?

I know some of the best jobs i have had over the years are ones i just sort of stumbled in to.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to BrittMJ

Premium Member

to BrittMJ
Any time I see any thing about work from home and make big money I do not know which meter of mine goes into the red first. Bullshit or Scam.

If you cannot find the company on Google and cannot cross verify them somehow its a scam.

The key thing is this, Unless you fill out tax forms question the job. If you cannot research the company, question the job. If it sounds like free money, question the job.

think of it this way, You would not buy a rolex off a blanket in a subway station.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Actually if your a independent contractor you may very well never file tax papers with any given company. As a independent contractor your responsible for your own taxes. At most you'll get a w9 form at the end of any given job or contract term.

As a tech i have done as many single repairs for a company as i have been sitting in the shop heck probably more hours working for 4 5 or 6 companies as working for one.

So just because your not filling out w2 forms and are just getting recites or w9s don't mean much of any thing. Both types of work can be 100% above board.

To give you a example i had a job at a fast food joint was paid typical crappy hourly pay but i was also working for the owner of the chain repairing their printers timers and the like. I never filled out any tax form for that side job. Instead she gave me a reciet on with her company name on it after each bunch of printers etc were repaired. I then filed taxes etc on that job as well. At no point did i fill out a w2 or receive a w9.

I mention this as the fake job that the OP was doing made him what amounts to a self contractor responsible for his own taxes.

While obviously a scam and he is ither nothing more than a troll out for a laugh or a scam victim the shoe still fits in this case. The reason why these scammers rarely get nailed is they rely on the fact that their targets will be acting as independent contractors so no tax papers will be filed by the scammer as for recites or w9s if legit a photo copy of the check would serve that purpose. Some jobs i did for other companies they never gave me w9s or recites so i used photo copies of the check in place of those. You do want to make sure that it states on the check what it was for. Services rendered while most often will be fine you want more detail eg 3 cell phone screen repairs. Or what have you.

I prefer self contracting over working in a shop. I can make 2 3 or even 5x as much money just because of the volume of work i get done. Shop brings the work to me i get it done and they pick it up. It is great but it is hard to find to.
Nanaki

Nanaki (banned) to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
Ot but i just noticed you joined literally 2 days before me hehe but have 14k more posts than me man that is allot of posting

NS4683
join:2000-08-25
NJ

NS4683 to Nanaki

to Nanaki
Receipts............
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

yeh stinking spell check didn't catch it in chrome.
Expand your moderator at work