spc
Search similar:

uniqs
djeremy
join:2004-07-12
San Francisco, CA

djeremy

It's running on my Xfinity router

I haven't turned it off because I haven't really seen the need to since it's sandboxed from my home network. Those Xfinity routers also don't have the best range so it really doesn't broadcast all that far. I use another device for WiFi on my home network.

As far as speeds go, I'm paying for 50 down and 10 up and am getting 57 down and 11 up. They do seem to be pushing a little extra bandwidth.

We've all been in situations were cell phone reception was spotty or needed WiFi on an iPad, so I kind of like the idea of it being on. If I can help someone out without any affect on my home network, great.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00

said by djeremy:

If I can help someone out without any affect on my home network, great.

But who you're really helping is Comcast. Because the only people that can take advantage of it are people who pay Comcast. Either via subscription or just for their WiFi service:

»wifi.comcast.com/#customer_block

Why don't you ask Comcast for 50% of what they make off of your router?

It's kind of like RedBox putting a box on your lawn and having you pay for the pleasure.

Kuro
@75.151.50.x

Kuro to djeremy

Anon

to djeremy
I would have no problem with it but there is no advantage to me having it on. If they took off the rental fee, increase or drop datacaps or maybe you can only use others if yours is on.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11 to nothing00

to nothing00
said by nothing00:

But who you're really helping is Comcast.

That's not true. Anyone can connect for free for a fixed amount of time/data. It can actually come in quite handy. Comcast subscribers get unlimited.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

said by clocks11:

said by nothing00:

But who you're really helping is Comcast.

That's not true. Anyone can connect for free for a fixed amount of time/data. It can actually come in quite handy.

Is that true? If so, my tune may change slightly. What is the fixed amount?

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to djeremy

MVM

to djeremy
said by djeremy:

I haven't turned it off because I haven't really seen the need to since it's sandboxed from my home network.

And there is absolutely no way that someone could jump from the "free" wifi to yours? Sorry, I've been around long enough to know that nothing that is useful is 100% secure. I'm not saying I know how, I'm not saying that there is a way, what I am saying is a way may be discovered in the future and as with most security issues we won't know about it until months after the fact, if ever.

I own my own modem, so this don't affect me, but I would turn it off as I am unwilling to take a chance that Comcast did everything right from a security stand point.
djeremy
join:2004-07-12
San Francisco, CA

djeremy to nothing00

to nothing00
I don't really see it that way. Say I go somewhere, need WiFi and find an xfinity access point. I can use it because I pay Comcast for my service. It's a nice little bonus because it normally wouldn't be there.

If you're not a customer, I'm pretty sure you can also get a free hour or pay for more time if you want to.
djeremy

djeremy to Kilroy

to Kilroy
Anyone can get into anything if they try hard enough. My home network has an SSID that publicly broadcasts. They'd probably be better off trying to get into that than trying to get through the xfinity WiFi.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to djeremy

to djeremy
The free passes make it a lot more reasonable.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
said by morbo:

Is that true? If so, my tune may change slightly. What is the fixed amount?

2 - up to 1 hour sessions per month.
Obviously it's a test drive, not really the intent to create a free net. There are also pay as you go and "buy a week/month" options at fairly high prices but it would serve as temporary connection for travelers, maybe while waiting for an install or repair, or waiting for a buses for those without unlimited cell data plans.

It's the "innovation" many here beg for, and we'll see if it really finds an audience.
For Comcast it provide a sensor net as to the demand, in high demand areas they can add strand mounted hotspots.
It also gives a wide area wireless option to those who don't want/can't afford a full service cell phone plan.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Kilroy

to Kilroy
"Sorry, I've been around long enough to know that nothing that is useful is 100% secure."

Then you better get off the internet all together if that's the reason for not wanting this service turned on.

Flyonthewall
@206.248.154.x

Flyonthewall to tshirt

Anon

to tshirt
I really think users that allow this should be compensated. They are providing free electricity for Comcast to make a buck from. That doesn't sound right to me, since they charge customers, when a customer assists in providing services, they should be paid too.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

And it doesn't take power to run the router with one less VLAN/SSID?

catchingup
@206.51.28.x

catchingup to Flyonthewall

Anon

to Flyonthewall
said by Flyonthewall :

I really think users that allow this should be compensated. They are providing free electricity for Comcast to make a buck from. That doesn't sound right to me, since they charge customers, when a customer assists in providing services, they should be paid too.

So you're saying when you use your modem for your own use it takes zero electricity, right?