All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11

It's not all bad

I wouldn't have a grip against Comcast doing this if A. it doesn't slow my own speeds and B. They reduce the cost or provide the modem/router for free.

There are some positives about this. I am noticing the free Xfinity wifi all over my neck of the woods.

nadams5755
join:2001-11-13
San Jose, CA

nadams5755

there was an interesting discussion about it last month on NANOG, it seems that this service uses its own bandwidth (as i understand it).

don't forget to look at the responses. comcast does have a PR nightmare though. »mailman.nanog.org/piperm ··· 436.html
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11

I know it supposedly uses it's own bandwidth, but if you are on an already over-crowded node, free wifi isn't going to help the situation. Not everyone gets their full caps.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to clocks11

Premium Member

to clocks11
said by clocks11:

They reduce the cost or provide the modem/router for free.

That MAY happen, a user here reported getting contacted by phone, with CC willing to give a discount if he turned the public side back on. it would probably ONLY be offer if not enough subs had it on, and demand was high with strand mount not available yet (no permit or overhead lines) since you pay the same for the rented gateway giving you a discount doesn't make as much sense as say a free bump to the cap (you share, they share)