spc
Search similar:

uniqs
deflemonkid
join:2014-06-19
Ireland

deflemonkid

Zyxel p-600

I have this old Zyxel p-600 that i thought i'd try and put into bridge mode after seeing a couple of vids on youtube but i cant seem to get into the advance config menu.

I can access the router using the ip (192.168.1.1) but when i put in the password it doesnt give me the three options where i select advanced. Instead all i get is a status page for the router with no options to do anything except change the refresh interval.

Any ideas on how to get into the advanced menu? I'm connecting it to my laptop via an ethernet cable.

thanks
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

JPedroT

Premium Member

You got the wrong password, so you are directed to the view only page.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank to deflemonkid

Premium Member

to deflemonkid
I am using one at the current time in bridge mode. I wonder if you have a proprietary firmware installed. When I received mine it had firmware for one of the ISP's installed and if memory (failing) serves me correctly I believe I had to install the ZyXel generic firmware to be able to accomplish the task.
deflemonkid
Ireland

deflemonkid to JPedroT

to JPedroT
Ok. Great. I've hit the reset button so 1234 is getting me into it now. Thanks.

Another quick question now though if I may. How do I now get it connected to my wife network now it's in Bridge mode? I can find loads showing how to get into Bridge mode but nothing on what I need to do now to connect it.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

2 edits

Hank

Premium Member

Set your routers WAN port up to accept the mode your ISP supplies and install the correct credentials and it should work. My ISP provides pppoe so my router is set for that protocol and dhcp. Not sure what router you have, different manufactures have different procedures. If you have a static IP you will have to set that on the routers wan interface also. Once set just connect the router to the P600 and it should connect to your ISP.

What make and model router do you have?
deflemonkid
Ireland

deflemonkid

The Router is the Sky Hub (SR102) which is the ISP's branded router they give with your subscription and i'm trying to hook up a Zyxel p-660hw-d1 as the bridge. Do i have to mess with the router settings too or is it just a case of setting the Zyxel to latch onto the wifi already set up with the SKY hub?

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

I am confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. I could not find a manual for the Sky Hub SR102, but I did read a review and it has a built in ADSL modem. So what are you trying to accomplish by using the P-600? If I understand that your are trying to use the ZyXel as a wireless bridge to the Sky Hub, that is not going to work.

Read this thread and see if this is what you are attempting:

»ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 a wireless access point for cable modem?
deflemonkid
Ireland

deflemonkid

I was hoping to use it to connect my xbox to the network instead of shelling out for one of the xbox WiFi units. Read this post on lifehacker.com that lead me to believe I could do it using the old router as a bridge

»lifehacker.com/368094/wi ··· a-bridge

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

I am not sure that the ZyXel will function as a wireless relay. Setting up the ZyXel as described in the link I provided should accomplish what you want to do but it would have to connect to the Sky Hub via a CAT5 cable. Maybe someone else has experience in turning the ZyXel into a repeater and will be able to assist you better.
deflemonkid
Ireland

deflemonkid

Oh. I see. Was doing it to try and avoid having a cat5 cable running the length of the house. I can hook the xbox straight into the sky hub but its in another room. I've managed to hook it already using an old laptop running linux and sharing the internet connection but that doesnt play nice when it comes to using the xbox as a media centre (my main reason for doing this) as i imagine the laptop is creating its own as hoc network to share with the xbox rather than passing thru on the same network.

Thanks for your help on this though. Really appreciate you taking the time.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

You're welcome. I am sure that someone will have some suggestions that may be beneficial.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano to deflemonkid

MVM

to deflemonkid
How big is your house?
Get a decent wireless AP, put it high (attic or top floor) and it'll cover your house with better than good signal.

Two suggestions:
»www.ubnt.com/unifi#UnifiHardware
»www.engeniustech.com/bus ··· 88_m331/
deflemonkid
Ireland

deflemonkid

Coverage isn't th problem. Have perfect coverage throughout the house. I was looking to use the old router as a wireless access point to connect the xbox via cat5 in a different room from the main router. Xbox needs a USB WiFi unit to connect wirelessly and was trying to avoid buying new hardware as I wouldn't be using it enough to justify the purchase anyway.
OGalati
join:2005-08-19

OGalati to deflemonkid

to deflemonkid
You need a device capable of WiFi Client operation. All P600 series is only capable of Access Point operation, to accept association of another clients.
Bridge Mode in P600 series doesn't mean WiFi Bridge, but WAN-to-LAN Bridge.