Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Phil BK
Premium
join:2002-05-18
Brooklyn, NY

After Modem Change, Bittorrent broken

After an outage with my old Motorola modem, a tech came out a couple days ago to replace the modem and put us on a new line, since he found there to be a lot of noise on the existing line. The new modem is an Arris TM822G.

The only change to my home network was the addition of the modem. My router is the same, my cables are the same, my computers are the same.

Since the router change, no PCs on the network can download any bittorrent files. Any client used gives connection errors or timeouts when connecting to trackers.

Does anyone know what the cause of this could be? I don't see any configuration information on the modem. Port forwarding in my network is still working fine. Again, the only change is the new modem.

Thanks.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
New IP address with new modem?

Phil BK
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
No actually, my public IP is still the same as it was with the old modem.
--
If at first you don't succeed...bug them till you get what you want.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
reply to Phil BK
Did you reboot the router?

Phil BK
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Rebooted router, rebooted modem. Internet is fine, speedtests are fine. All my port forwards on the router still work. Everything on the entire network still works fine, except bit torrent. And this is from any of the 4 PCs on the network. All have the same error of being unable to connect to trackers.
--

some guy

@69.127.1.x
same here, everything works fine, but i cant connect to trackers for torrenting

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
Reinstall program

Phil BK
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Its not the program. Its impossible that 4 different PCs would all stop working and all have the same error if it were a program issue. Like I said, before modem swap, everything worked, after swap, bittorrent stops working on all PCs.
--

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1
What BT client(s) are you using?
Do they have the Latest updates?

I have an Arris TM822G, and use uTorrent. No issues.

champs18

join:2014-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
I had the same issue. Remove uTorrent and go with something else. i use qBittorrent.

some guy

@69.127.1.x
changed torrent clients....still not working

Brian Puccio2

join:2004-01-04
Westbury, NY
said by some guy :

changed torrent clients....still not working

Ditto. This happened yesterday to me. I checked here, didn't see a thread so I thought it was something I did. Spent a few hours with port forwarding, client configuring, etc. Tried rtorrent on Debian wheezy, then deluge, then Transmission on Mac. No luck across the board with either the Debian ISO tracker or Fedora ISO tracker, among other things.

Phil BK
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Tursiops_G
I have tried multiple clients on multiple platforms. Again the only difference is the modem. No other equipment or software was changed. Looks like I am not alone. Is anyone aware of anything with this model modem that would cause this? Even running the glasnost test »broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/ fails saying it can't upload or download. It has to be the modem I just can't figure out why.
--

Brian Puccio2

join:2004-01-04
Westbury, NY
said by Phil BK:

I have tried multiple clients on multiple platforms. Again the only difference is the modem. No other equipment or software was changed. Looks like I am not alone. Is anyone aware of anything with this model modem that would cause this? Even running the glasnost test »broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/ fails saying it can't upload or download. It has to be the modem I just can't figure out why.

In my case, the modem hasn't changed in at least three years, maybe more. I think the change is independent of your modem change.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
reply to Phil BK
Coincidence

vaioguard

join:2006-06-10
Bronx, NY
reply to Phil BK
I'm having the same problem since yesterday. Called tech support 45mins later noting I was told it must be something on my PC because OOL doesn't block the ports that are blocked now. It has to be the modem I have the Arris TM822G (Ultra 101) but my cousin has a Motorola one (15Mb down) can't remember the model and I can connect on his just fine.

ukyo123

join:2014-06-19
I'm having the same problem as well, across all my computers in the network. No change whatsoever from my side.

vaioguard

join:2006-06-10
Bronx, NY
reply to vaioguard
Well as of 5AM DHT started to work, don't know what happened I didn't change anything I just check and uTorrent is working again. Thanks to whoever made this happen.

some guy

@69.127.1.x
nice, out the blue it starts working

Phil BK
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Phil BK
OK mine is working now too. So thank you to whoever out there saw this and fixed it.
--

ukyo123

join:2014-06-19
reply to Phil BK
Same here, it's back to normal as of today.

champs18

join:2014-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
It will happen again as long as uTorrent is installed. Simply removing the program will not restore your internet connection. Been there, done that. It takes several hours for the connection to return, but it will go down again. I changed programs, waited a good 8 hours and I was up and running. I have never seen the issue again.