All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cheebster9
join:2009-10-05

cheebster9

Bell FTTH 50/50 crashes, found a solution it seems

Hello, just a little feedback to post here for anyone having issues with the sagemcom fast 2684, i was getting lockups/reboots every day when downloading for a week or two, bell came did many tests and no solution was found. I searched a little here, and called bell to activate the port 2 on the ONT, i'm using a Netgear nighthawk r7000 which is running shibby tomato, so i tagged vlan VID 35 on the wan port, and PPPOE works just perfect, no reboots on that one.

But, it seems i have to leave the bell sagemcom connected to port1 of the ONT for it to work, for some reason ? Someone might confirm, but i just wanted to post back a setup that works here, for anyone using FTTH 50/50 on fibe with sagemcom issues.

thanks !!!

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

Do you have Fibe TV or just Fibe Internet?
cheebster9

cheebster9

Just Fibe Internet !

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

Not sure why you need to leave the Connection Hub connected to ONT port 1, unless there is a weird setting within the ONT itself that will only enable the 2nd port when there is a device in the 1st.

I assume you've tried disconnecting everything from both ONT ports and than tried rebooting the ONT to see if you can get your own router on port 1.

The reason that most people get the 2nd port enables is when the have Fibe TV and just Fibe Internet and want to use there own router for the inter so it's possible that there is a block on port 1 so that only the Fibe TV traffic can be used on it.
Micma
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25

Micma

Premium Member

Tried calling support in montreal (cyberspace?) to have the 2nd ONT port activated. To her it was like I was quoting Scottie from Star Trek.....

I gave up!

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

Post in the »Bell Canada Direct forum and they should be able to help you out.
cheebster9

cheebster9 to JC_

to JC_
Ok. Well my reason, was to have a reliable router and not use that sagemcom which crashes for me. My R7000 is rock solid on the port 2, and yes i've tried disconnecting the bell connection hub from port one, but when i do my router won't authenticate anymore, god knows why ! Micma, try harder. I was in tunisia or something when i called, but i was very precise on what i wanted and i finally got it after about 30 minutes on the call. Was placed on hold many times since the tech needed to confirm he was allowed to do it, but he did. All good now ! Happy camper.
jw14
join:2014-04-02
Canada

jw14 to cheebster9

to cheebster9
I'm having this problem a ton lately.

But I have no idea what an ONT is and all that?

Can someone explain this fix a little simpler?

Thanks
sunday8pm
join:2010-05-24

sunday8pm

You only have an ONT if you have FTTH, not FTTN

Terrific
join:2008-07-09
Cobourg, ON

Terrific

Acronyms for the rest of us:

ONT : Optical Network Terminal
The point where your stuff connects to the telcos.

FTTH: Fibre To The Home
(Cheeky:To replace Copper with Glass and charge More for it);
The Last Mile(or less) of a High Speed Network, with the Build out of 1990s Technology finally at your home.

FTTN: Fibre to The Neighbourhood.
The Deployment of Fibre (Fiber:US) Optic cables to a Network Node point, instead of a Central Wire Plant (Central Office) , where High Speed Communications are Divided among a community of interest.

Hope this helps.