bmetelsky
Premium Member
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH

bmetelsky

Premium Member

[Internet] TWC Home Wi-Fi

Hi all,

I have the extreme internet package from TWC and am using a TG862G v5 phone/internet modem furnished by TWC. It has built in wi-fi. I cancelled phone service today and was wondering if anyone here was aware of a similar modem that TWC is using, just without the phone capabilities. It would need to support DOCSIS 3 from what I understand. I do not want to outright purchase and am not really interested in buying a wireless router either. Thanks in advance for any information.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

You will be getting the Arris DG860A if you dumped phone. I recommend you buy your own router because the router is often bad and I know that because I used to use their router and AT&T DSL router is the same.

bmetelsky
Premium Member
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH

bmetelsky

Premium Member

They gave me the SBG6580. Is this one better than the Arris DG860A?

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Looking at the specs it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. They're both 8x4 bonding and have 2x2 MIMO 802.11n wifi, though the SBG6580 can be set to use 5.8 GHz instead of 2.4 GHz.

I have never used either so I can't comment on bugs/quirks/actual throughput.

/M

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to bmetelsky

Premium Member

to bmetelsky
I recommend you to purchase the sb 6141 modem and the linksys ea 6500 router from amazon.
mja1980
join:2013-05-09

mja1980

Technically the 6580 is suppost to be just as equal to the 6141 on the modem side but with built in wifi, only problem is that you are limited on what you can use for a router since it's an all in one combo. I like optic recommend the 6141 with an AC router.