I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

1 edit

Edrick

Premium Member

Enclosed 18U Wallmount Rack with Filters

I'm looking to have an enclosed rack that's 18U that the air intake is filtered and it exhausts out with fans. The space this is going in has quite the issue with sticky dust and we'd like to isolate it from the room within reason. Around the $1k mark if less then always better.

I'm thinking a middle atlantic rack, but I'd like to add air filtration to the intake fans, »www.bhphotovideo.com/c/p ··· Kit.html

Any idea for a system that could be attached on either the exterior of the rack or interior between the rack and the fan where we could remove the filter to clean or replace?

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 edit

John Galt6

Premium Member

I had to deal with something very similar...uncured resin-impregnated wood fiber. The facility maintenance personnel tried the filter route; that failed, largely due to their not changing the filters often enough. The solution was to install an electrical cabinet cooler that did not circulate ambient air through the cabinet, but used heat pipes to transfer the heat from the interior to the exterior with no exchange of air.

Not inexpensive, but it is necessary to evaluate the cost of the protected equipment and the mission to determine if such a cost is justified.

You also might see if you have access to 'normal' building air and pipe that through the rack, using the positive pressure to keep the dust out of the cabinet. I have seen this method used successfully.

Consider relocating the rack to a less hostile environment. Sticky dust...NG.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to Edrick

Premium Member

to Edrick
Can't help much on the filtration part, but I wanted to say that I installed an 18U Tripp-Lite cabinet in my basement and it's AWESOME. Very well built, sturdy, easy to work on.

I'm thrilled with it...

Specs: Tripp Lite 18U

From Amazon: Tripp Lite 18U

Filter kit (will need to be trimmed): Tripp Lite SRFILTER

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns to Edrick

Premium Member

to Edrick
Not a wall mount enclosure, but this may be an option: »www.emersonnetworkpower. ··· 2kW.aspx

I purchased one a number of years ago for an electrical room that needed to house some equipment. This kept things nice and cool and also contained quite a bit of the noise (the A/C Compressor was less noisy than the equipment). Pricey, but worth it for that situation.