uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Getting Boxless Home Service?

I don't see the TWC app on my Samsung Smart TV. Why? How do I get it? I'm really excited about this as the main reason I don't have digital TV is because I would have to get a box and an Oceanic TWC clicker. I HATE that sort of thing (so I have just been watching TV via clearqam since I got this Samsung Smart TV but clearqam will be going away in the not distant future).

This article says:

"Our app on Samsung TV is much closer to our same look and feel as on our se-sop box. Unfortunately these are the real high-end Samsung TVs with the smart hub technology and things like that. There’s not enough of them to understand what the impact is on our footprint.”

»stopthecap.com/2014/06/1 ··· ampuses/

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin

Premium Member

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· hub.html

For Samsung 2012 models that are installed and in use:
You will be prompted with a message when Smart Hub is launched. The message will ask you to "Click OK to update Smart Hub". Once you accept the update, TWC TV® will be loaded in the "personalized area" of the Smart Hub screen.

For Samsung 2013 models that are installed and in use:
You will need to search for the TWC TV® app in the apps menu. Once installed, TWC TV® will appear in the More Apps section of the Smart Hub. You can then move the TWC TV® app to the "personalized area" for easier access.

For new Samsung 2012 and 2013 models:
The TWC TV® app will be preloaded automatically in the "personalized area".

Hob
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I have a 2011 Samsung Smart TV. I wasn't prompted to update Smart Hub and I had not started it for awhile. Usually I am prompted to update when I haven't started it in awhile. I gave feedback on the link in your post and asked what about Samsung Smart TV 2011 models. I saw new Samsung apps and other new items since the last time I started Smart Hub. So, is it not available everywhere or did Samsung Smart TVs 2011 models get excluded for some reason?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

o, is it not available everywhere or did Samsung Smart TVs 2011 models get excluded for some reason?

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· -tv.html

TWC TV® for Samsung Smart TV offers a single entry point for the entire On Demand experience. TWC Standard video customers who own 2012 and 2013 model Samsung Smart TVs will have access to free and subscription On Demand programming through a new version of the TWC TV® app accessible directly from the Samsung Smart Hub

Hob

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
2011 TVs don't support the same standards as 2012 and newer:
»www.samsungdforum.com/De ··· ols/Spec

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

So, is it not available everywhere or did Samsung Smart TVs 2011 models get excluded for some reason?

Samsung overhauled the API for 3d party apps in their models for 2012 and up, making it easier for 3d parties (such as TWC) to make an app and add it to the Samsung available apps.

From what I understand, the Samsung software used in older TV's don't support certain calls/technology.

So you are left with the decisions of....

- Getting a box from TWC.
- Buying a new TV.
- Not watch TV.

Whatever update is in the 2012 TV's and up, also allowed the DirecTV ready TV's from Samsung, where you don't have to have a box for each TV, just 1 main DVR box to feed from.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
So, it's the javascript in the app engine in the 2011 models that is the problem? There is nothing else different. (I wondered what Flash version it uses...8...yuck). The few other differences don't look to me to have to do with developing apps...but I'm not a developer so I don't really know.

I still don't get why TWC can't write an app that works with the 2011 models. I get a bunch of NEW apps every time I start the Smart Hub. So, why only is TWC having a problem?

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I still don't get why TWC can't write an app that works with the 2011 models. I get a bunch of NEW apps every time I start the Smart Hub. So, why only is TWC having a problem?

They simply decided to support 1 samsung platform, instead of 2 or more. They may have decided to write for the newest flash platform, so that the base code works for multiple platforms. Its very possible that the base code is fairly similar to the one used on e.g. iPhone/Android, but that the shell is just slightly different for each platform.

I still don't get what your aversion against a digital box is. They don't bite your TV or something....

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

There are a few other differences besides Javascript... on 2011 models under VOD (video on demand) which is what the TWC is doing; RTP/RTSP, MPEG-Dash xml metadata, and smooth streaming aren't supported either. Also 2010/2011 TVs use Gecko for the browser engine, while 2012 and newer use WebKit.

Besides TWC, Comcast doesn't support 2011 models either:
»[Apps] Xfinity Samsung Smart TV App
DirecTV and HBOgo support is limited on 2011 models but they support all 2012 models:
»support.directv.com/app/ ··· -work%3F
omghi2u
join:2001-02-05

omghi2u to Mele20

to Mele20
This is primary reason why I decided against getting a smart TV (the secondary being from what I've researched smart TVs tend to have a higher failure rate than their non-smart counterparts). The TV will hopefully live for many years while technology continues to advance. I don't want to have to upgrade my TV for the sole purpose of being able to use newer apps. Therefore I decided to add a Roku (in addition to my Tivo). The Roku can be easily replaced and upgraded with whatever is the latest and greatest. I wish Tivo had more apps such as HBO, SHO, and TWC TV but a Roku is just fine.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by omghi2u:

This is primary reason why I decided against getting a smart TV (the secondary being from what I've researched smart TVs tend to have a higher failure rate than their non-smart counterparts). The TV will hopefully live for many years while technology continues to advance. I don't want to have to upgrade my TV for the sole purpose of being able to use newer apps. Therefore I decided to add a Roku (in addition to my Tivo). The Roku can be easily replaced and upgraded with whatever is the latest and greatest. I wish Tivo had more apps such as HBO, SHO, and TWC TV but a Roku is just fine.

Shhh! Roku is a box. Mele20 hates boxes. Even if they are small ones.
Phroz
join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME

Phroz

said by maartena:

They make a Roku stick for people like her

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Phroz:

said by maartena:

They make a Roku stick for people like her

If it doesn't work with her limited Samsung remote, she won't want it.