SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

[TV] Rectify

Anybody see this? Based on this Daily Beast review, I'm going to have check out season 1 on Netflix.

Excerpts:

Stop Everything and Go Watch ‘Rectify'
There are no cathartic ‘gotcha’ moments, no easy answers, and no rapid-fire dialogue. ‘Rectify’ is to drama what ‘Louie’ is to comedy—an emotional marathon unlike anything on TV.

In our ever-expanding TV universe, it always seems like something of a fluke when a truly unique program manages to make it onto the airwaves. That’s exactly what happened last year with SundanceTV’s revelatory drama Rectify. Its astounding first season, just six episodes long, covered one week in the life of Daniel Holden (Aden Young), who had spent 19 years on Death Row for the rape and murder of his teenage girlfriend Hannah, until DNA evidence vacated his sentence. His return home to Paulie, Georgia, leads to an uneasy, fraught reunion with his family and the townspeople, many of whom remain convinced of Daniel’s guilt. During one sequence early on in Rectify’s new season, Daniel refers to it as “the wildest week. Every day felt like a lifetime. It was pretty overwhelming.”

It’s a near-perfect summation of Rectify’s debut season, which was an unexpected, potent concoction of unpredictability, serenity, and staggering emotion. (If you missed it—and given its meager ratings, you probably did—go to Netflix immediately and remedy that.) And the show’s confident, compelling Season 2, which premieres tonight at 9 p.m. ET/PT on SundanceTV, offers much more of the same: an emotional marathon unmatched by anything else on television...

Rectify’s greatest pleasure is in its masterful ability to fully envelop the audience in its singular world. This isn’t a show meant to be casually watched with one eye glued to a cellphone or tablet, glancing up in between texts and tweets. While almost any other show would be preoccupied with the search for Hannah’s “real” killer, building up to a dramatic finale reveal, Daniel’s ultimate guilt or innocence (not even he seems to know for sure) is beside the point inRectify.

That’s largely thanks to the understated brilliance of Australian actor Aden Young, who is so introverted as Daniel that he makes other TV minimalist actors, like Noah Emmerich on The Americans, seem like melodramatic scenery-munchers in comparison. Yet every gesture, tic, and word packs a hefty wallop. It’s the type of performance that’s far too muted to ever be singled out for critical awards, yet is every bit as breathtaking as the work that Bryan Cranston and Jon Hamm are routinely lauded for on their respective shows...

Much like with Louie, we’re in uncharted territory with Rectify. Each episode offers up wondrous new surprises, whether it’s a dream sequence, a stunning revelation from a new character, or a sly moment of levity from an unexpected source. Even the premiere’s opening shot, which I won’t spoil here, is a startling stunner.

We may never find out if Daniel is guilty before Rectify concludes, and I couldn’t care less. Rectify is about the journey, not the destination. And no matter what your travel plans might be in the coming months, this will likely be the most rewarding trip you take all summer.

SixOfNine

SixOfNine

Premium Member

I finally finished season 1 on Netflix. Holy crap, is this good. I can't wait until the second season becomes available.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
I've seen it advertised on Reelez [I think that is the network that carries it].

I've never watched it, though it does seem interesting.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to SixOfNine

to SixOfNine
Watched entire first season and beginning of season 2.

It's a good show. I'd agree in saying it's unlike anything I had seen so far. Very gritty and emotional. Very raw.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

FYI: Season 2 is now available on Netflix.