dfrandin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV

3 edits

dfrandin

Premium Member

[Tomato] Tomato Weird OpenVPN Issue

I'm running Tomato 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-115 K26 Max on a Asus RT-N12D. Everything was working perfectly up till about 2 hours ago when my local power company did one of its cute little "lets cut the power off to our customers for about 30 seconds" that they do soo well in my neighborhood in the summertime.. And no, I don't currently have a UPS on the router, but if these start happening often, I'll bite the bullet and get one... Anyway, after the power came back on, I noticed that I could not reach my remote servers that have tunnels hosted by the Asus router's openvpn server. Initial checking found that - for some reason - the Tomato Openvpn server/basic tab was showing a blank for the port.. Of course this is supposed to be 1194 in this configuration, so I entered that and hit save and the gui told me it was an invalid port. Huh? So I ssh'ed into the console of the router and checked the /tmp/etc/openvpn/server1/config.ovpn.. it was showing "port 0".. hmmm.. Oh well, fired up vi and edited the file and set "port 1194"... For some reason the Tomato gui keeps changing it back to port 0. Since I have the keys etc. to completely recreate the server config, I'd love to be able to do that, but for some reason, I can't remove the complete "server1" configuration.. it keeps coming back.. even when I delete the entire /tmp/etc/openvpn/server1 directory, and copious reboots... Never had any trouble like this with Tomato in the years that I've been running it on both Linksys and Asus routers... HELP!!

Update: Further troubleshooting finds that when I try and add a port in the port forwarding/basic tab, to allow me to run openvpn on one of my other systems, I get an "invalid port" error from the tomato gui.. That power-outage really borked up this router... Any pointers to what I can do to recover from this would be appreciated...

Update #2: Had hoped to avoid what I was afraid of, being having to wipe the nvram and reconfigure the thing from scratch.. I have a recent nvram backup but ever since I got this new Asus router and put this shibby build on it, I can't find any way to simply wipe nvram and apply a backup like I could on the old 1.27vpn I used to run on my old WRT54GL.. In fact, on this build, the only way *I could find* to wipe nvram was to upgrade the f/w first.. So, I reinstalled the same build it had simply so I could wipe nvram... Please tell me if I'm missing where an nvram wipe and restore from backup might be hiding on this version....

pharma11
@208.177.105.x

pharma11

Anon

Pretty sure there is a way to backup/restore configuration manually ... check out Tomato forum at Linksysinfo.org

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to dfrandin

Premium Member

to dfrandin
Only solution I see would be wipe re-install. after which go to Admin configuration create a back up after you've set it up right and create a back up for next time. You may have to do the wipe re-install again but you will have the back up. I'm not sure the back up install alone would be good as it may not delete all bad configuration files.