4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay

MVM

Has there been a death?

Is this forum dead? I see so very little posted in it now.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Pretty reflective of the site in general (or at least in the forums I hang out in)...

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

You are so right and it's totally disappointing. I guess the site has become really stale throughout. What a shame.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to jaykaykay

MVM

to jaykaykay
These type of forums were taken out of hot topics weren't they? I just figured that was a large part of it *shrugs* maybe wrong.

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

Chuck22 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

I guess the site has become really stale throughout. What a shame.

Unfortunately, most forums seem partially to mainly dead. What once was inviting and invigorating appears to be rather passé at best. Not much to look forward to, it seems.

Hawk
Premium Member
join:2003-08-25

2 recommendations

Hawk to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
But don't lose sight of why you're probably here. You folks are the heart and soul of the broadband reports Avatar/Graphics community known worldwide. Whenever a new member or old one for that matter is pointed in this direction with an idea for a new avatar or enhance an existing one, this talented community explodes to life offering their own precious time, ideas and talent to assist the request to its end and satisfaction of the requester and asks for nothing in return. If someone finds an old worn out photo of a memory, loved one or beloved pet that's barely readable, this community joins in to rebuild the image with such clarity and sincerity that lost memories in the photo might now bring feelings of happiness and even tears to the OP that only they would understand. You guys are the heroes of this board! In my opinion anyway.

The idle time and the same ol same ol threads may cause some to back away, or even go on to other things in life, and that's fine but there always seems to be a handful of generous people here that maintain the fort. You're like firemen hanging around the firehouse waiting for the call. So there's not a lot of fires or rescues going on and the same old card game is getting old. But eventually, you'll find the way.

Personally, I feel the Artify and Creative Expressions threads should be combined. In which forum, who cares. I also feel if there were more specific educational threads, it might spark more interest. Like how to maintain transparency properly in an image or how to use layers or bla bla bla. Even if it didn't spark more interest, we might all learn a thing or two. But whatever, It will sort itself out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't let the lull discourage or get ya down. We all still have fun and get different satisfactions from being here and helping those when they ask. Around here, the tiniest idea can evolve into the greatest result due to the creative and intellectual talent that exists in this community. And that's you guys!

Just my 2 cents ...

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Is this forum dead?

As darcilicious See Profile stated, it's site wide, precipitated by events of last September.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
Look at the join date of most of the posters. How many new 'regulars' are there?

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

5 recommendations

Santa Fe

said by vaxvms:

How many new 'regulars' are there?

Well, if you need to be Regular:

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

Dominokat to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
FYI- I'm still around. I don't have a computer so can't really play along as I have only my iPhone to access the internet. I am also in the midst of a personal issue that came very unexpectedly last April.
Trust me, I'd love to participate more then I am currently.

Hawk
Premium Member

Hawk to Coma

Premium Member

to Coma
said by Coma:

As darcilicious See Profile stated, it's site wide, precipitated by events of last September.

OT - May I ask what happened last September?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

The site was unavailable (due to an outage from the hosting datacenter followed by one or more recovery attempts/failures) for several days (more than a week?)

Even before that, however, things has been "slowing down". The outage just exacerbated an existing trend.

Hawk
Premium Member

Hawk

Premium Member

Ah.. thanks. That does ring a bell.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
NirvanaLand

Coma to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay

. . . not to mention, the personal shakeup.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Do you mean personnel? Or Justin's personal life? (I have no idea, I've never been "in the know").

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

Do you mean personnel?

Why yes, sorry . . .

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

1 recommendation

jadinolf to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Is this forum dead? I see so very little posted in it now.

Oh jaykaykay, so many forums have become snorseville.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
Well I'm a regular & I plan to post till I die or the site shuts down!
chip89

1 recommendation

chip89 to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
in 2012 it happened.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
I wonder where people went off to. Facebook isn't a direct replacement, there is Reddit, but Reddit is just a web based version of Usenet. There aren't really any stout other forums. Some changes at DSLR include less tolerance of people ganging up on each other and other such stuff, some of the trolls have quieted down. But I don't see where people might have gone off to. Maybe underground sites on the underweb or whatever the hell it's called.

I remember the good old days when it was so busy we had to have an overclocker's forum and that was a very lively forum, it was really fun. People are so fickle. I've offered some ideas to attract more traffic, but they ignored my input, oh well...

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to jaykaykay

MVM

to jaykaykay
There are a lot of places you can get animated avatars including making your own online and resizing etc. People don't need as much help as they used to.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
There aren't many 201x members posting in the »Digital Imaging and Photography and »Digital Imaging and Photography forums either. The Scavenger Hut thread has dried up. I haven't been into the DI Gallery for a while. Is it dominated by old timers?

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

You are so right and what a shame. Having hung around this site since even before becoming a member back in 2000, since actually when the site arose, I have watched it soar and now become more a paper weight than productive site. There are still some things here that I would sorely miss, but even I am wondering why I am subjected to this slow death rather than jumping ship like so many have. I have grown since arriving on the doorsteps of DSLR, and I had hoped that I would never see it stagnate, as so many sites have, but truth be told, other than some old friends here, there would be little I would miss by following the mice to elsewhere more productive and alive. What a shame!
jaykaykay

jaykaykay to vaxvms

MVM

to vaxvms
Yes. And I am one of those. I will continue, but it's slow over there too...not many new posters. I just love learning as other people do things and teach by doing so. Losing even one thread is a shame. And I totally agree with Hawk-"Personally, I feel the Artify and Creative Expressions threads should be combined. In which forum, who cares. I also feel if there were more specific educational threads, it might spark more interest. Like how to maintain transparency properly in an image or how to use layers or bla bla bla."