uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

[Landscaping] Scotts fertilizer / weed killer yellow bag

I bought a bag of the Scotts fertilizer / weed killer that comes in the yellow bag from Home Depot, and spread it on my lawn last weekend. I went away for the week for my job and just came home to a dead lawn... wtf??? It's all yellow and brown now!! I followed the directions, what gives? How do I fix it??

I live in NY, it's not like I live in Arizona.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Landscaping] Re: Scotts fertilizer / weed killer yellow bag

There are a lot of different Scotts.. did you apply after the yard was thoroughly wet and make sure your grass wasn't one of the "do not apply if...."?

Do you have the exact name of the Scotts or a picture of the bag? Maybe this?

»www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/turf-b···/7800017
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to fartness

Yeah, but it killed all the weeds right? Now when they bring the new sod you'll have a lush weed-free yard. Sorry.
I had the best luck with Scotts this year. With fertilizer, I've found it's better to do not enough vs. too much. Did you misread the dial settings? I have a Scotts spreader, so I didn't have to worry too much.
Not much you can do at this point. About the only thing you can do is break out the sprinkler, water heavily, and see what happens.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to dandelion

said by dandelion:

There are a lot of different Scotts.. did you apply after the yard was thoroughly wet and make sure your grass wasn't one of the "do not apply if...."?

Do you have the exact name of the Scotts or a picture of the bag? Maybe this?

»www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/turf-b···/7800017

I watered the lawn for about 30 minutes then applied it. I didn't apply it to areas that the bag mentioned. I will dig up the bag from the garbage in the morning.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric

2 edits

For what it is worth, my one go 'round with chemical lawn weed killers offered much the same result as yours. Turns out my lawn was mostly weeds to begin with. If a lawn is high in clover, and the Scotts kills the clover... I'm not saying that's what happened to you though. A call to Scotts or email with photos attached could prove helpful. They've been around a long time, and I don't think they will ignore your request for help.

Since my home agent orange campaign, I've since resorted to the well fertilized and watered lawn squeezes out the bad guys weeds school of thought. Kinda like a climax forest situation. I tried spot spraying dandelions with a "this stuff only kills dandelions" product one time too, and ended up with a polka dot dead turf lawn look. Maybe i over applied - dunno. Not going there ever again.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
They say that if the world comes to and, only cockroaches will be left.
Well, I'm pretty sure dandelions will make it too.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

said by Grumpy:

Since my home agent orange campaign, I've since resorted to the well fertilized and watered lawn squeezes out the bad guys weeds school of thought. Kinda like a climax forest situation. I tried spot spraying dandelions with a "this stuff only kills dandelions" product one time too, and ended up with a polka dot dead turf lawn look. Maybe i over applied - dunno. Not going there ever again.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
They say that if the world comes to and, only cockroaches will be left.
Well, I'm pretty sure dandelions will make it too.

That's why chemical weed killers for lawns are banned in many Canadian provinces.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

With the advent of our grandchildren, I won't use much of anything toxic around the house. Driveway & sidewalk weeds - X large propane torch. Bugs - rubbing alcohol spray. Ants - borax.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
reply to fartness

I planted new seed on my lawn and it came up beautifully; so did weeds. Waited until after the 3rd cut as per the directions and still applied less than directed.

Killed all my grass and the weeds came up again.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

I followed the directions, what gives? How do I fix it??

In Florida there were two popular kinds of grass. Weed and feed for one type would kill the other type. You were probably not aware that most areas have an Agricultural Extension Service that provides advice to homeowners regarding Agricultural issues. There is usually no charge for the service. In my case I received several pamphlets that identified the various types of grass and what types of chemicals to use to assure a fine quality lawn.

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fartness

First time I ever used scotts weed and feed was about 3 weeks ago. It totally killed of the dandelions and most of the other undesirable stuff. FWIW, we still have a lot of clover but clover is good for your lawn, as it releases nitrogen...so I'm told. You're supposed to use it pre-emergent, and I missed it by a couple days, but it really worked. I applied it fairly heavily to just damp grass. Waited a couple hours and then dampened it again. This was before mowing, not after. Idea was to get it on the leaves, damp. I timed it about 6 hrs. before rain and I did it in the early evening. Hope this helps. My first experience turned out pretty good since there are all kinds of different things growing in the grass. It almost looks like a legit lawn.
--

we're all connected

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to fartness

Sounds like an over-application of the product. Dead grass is almost always from being burned from too much fertilizer.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by mattmag:

Sounds like an over-application of the product.

If that's the case, it will be a while before anything grows. Too much fertilizer can mess up the soil so nothing grows for quite a while.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to fartness

I use the theory of "Half as much... Twice as often" when dealing with fertilizers and dry weed killers, a la Turf-Builder w/weed control. And you did save your receipt for the Scott's product. Their guaranty is iron clad... never ever had a problem with getting a refund (rare as that has been). All I ever had to produce was the bar code off (proof of purchase) the package and the sales receipt showing the price. I usually received a refund check well within a month.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to fartness

You don't apply the whole bag unless you have a huge lawn. A light application greens up the grass and wilts the weeds.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

Yep, chances are pretty good that it was a 5000 sq. foot bag. That's a lot of lawn, or in this case a lot of dead lawn if it was applied until the bag was empty.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to mattmag

said by mattmag:

Sounds like an over-application of the product. Dead grass is almost always from being burned from too much fertilizer.

That would be my guess as well.

Fartness: How big is your yard ?

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to fartness

I'm honestly not sure how big along the OP has but 5000 ft.² is only an area of 50x100 which really isn't that big. In the area of New York where he is living there would actually be quite small except for a few areas in the city of Rochester.

It's not like areas of California, New Jersey, Long Island, etc. where land is ridiculously expensive.
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to Hall

Zillow says I have 8000 square feet, but that seems small.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

FYI a large bag of Scotts weed and feed lasts me a whole season. I apply once a month or so.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Msradell

Our old "lot" in the city was 4000 sq ft. The house took up half of that though.... Doesn't matter though - he's suggesting he has more than 8000 sq ft.

CmmTch

join:2002-08-10
High Ridge, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to fartness

I've used all the Scotts products and haven't had any problems.

This season I'm going with the Turf Builder four to six applications from spring to fall, the idea is to get the lawn strong enough to choke out most weeds. I use one 15,000 sq. ft. bag, that covers approximately a 1/4 acre which is my lot size.

Maybe most of the lawn was weeds, its been known to happen, that would explain the result.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to fartness

said by fartness:

I have 8000 square feet, but that seems small.

So... you bought 1 large bag (covers 15,000 sq.ft.) or 2 small bags (covers 10,000 sq.ft @ 5,000 sq.ft each). If you used an entire 15,000 sq.ft. bag of TurfBuilder w/Weed Contol, you applied about twice as much as you should have. Did you even read the directions as to spreader setting recommendation??? They even give you a way to determine the rate of dispersal for an off-brand spreader... be it a drop spreader or a broadcast spreader. Right now, my money's on too much fertilizer... nitrogen burn!!! It's really not rocket science, y'know??? Brings to mind the old adage: "When all else fails... follow directions!!!" The only time I have ever experienced fertilizer burn when using any fertilizer is when the gate bar on a very old drop spreader fell off due to rust/corrosion, and the hopper emptied itself right there... before I could get it stopped. I scooped/swept up as much as I could, and then flooded the immediate area with the hose. It was a futile gesture... to say the least.

Reminds me of an old radio ad I once heard for D-Con Rat Poison... "...perfectly safe, when used as directed, around children, pets, poultry, and livestock." The directions on the package... "DO NOT USE AROUND CHILDREN, PETS, POULTRY AND LIVESTOCK!"

About the only recourse you have is to water the crap out of your lawn for days on end. That may enable you to salvage some of it. Otherwise... wait a few weeks and re-seed the whole thing!
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

Hellrazor
Bah Humbug

join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA
Reviews:
·Service Electric..
reply to Pacrat

said by Pacrat:

"Half as much... Twice as often"

I think that is a friend of mines pickup line at the bars...

The wrong weed and feed on a lawn can be a big issue. So can over fertilizing. I usually spray weed-b-gone on the weeds twice in spring and 10-10-10 lightly over a lawn a few times a year starting in Feb/March, again in mid spring and then in October. Works for me..

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL
reply to fartness

Got a pic fartness? Keep watering it. I doubt your whole lawn is dead. Grass is fairly hearty, it will probably come back. If it doesn't you may be charged with involuntary..

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to CmmTch

said by CmmTch:

I've used all the Scotts products and haven't had any problems.

This season I'm going with the Turf Builder four to six applications from spring to fall, the idea is to get the lawn strong enough to choke out most weeds. I use one 15,000 sq. ft. bag, that covers approximately a 1/4 acre which is my lot size.

Maybe most of the lawn was weeds, its been known to happen, that would explain the result.

an acre is only 43,560 ft.², and you have one quarter of that so you have less than 10,000 ft.². Take out the area of your house, driveway, flowerbeds, sidewalk, etc. he probably only have about 5000 ft.² of lawn so you are differently over fertilizing!
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to joewho

said by joewho:

Grass is fairly hearty, it will probably come back.

If he really did over-fertilize it, his chances are slim. A former co-worker of mine did it by mistake (set the spreader wrong or something). I can't remember if he did his whole yard but once he realized it, his wife was on the phone with Scotts. They didn't tell him, "oh, it will be okay...", they asked, "do you have a shop-vac?" !! Just so happens he was already trying that. So, that was what the manufacturer said to do knowing what the likely outcome was going to be.

CmmTch

High Ridge, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

an acre is only 43,560 ft.², and you have one quarter of that so you have less than 10,000 ft.². Take out the area of your house, driveway, flowerbeds, sidewalk, etc. he probably only have about 5000 ft.² of lawn so you are differently over fertilizing!

My lot size is approximately 90'W x 190'D, that equals 17,100 sq. ft. The house is a 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch at 1250 sq. ft. With driveway, front porch, etc... There's pretty close to 15,000 sq. ft. that is yard.

I guess closer to 1/3 acre would be more correct, a lot 208' X 208'=~1 acre. Regardless of all that a 15,000 sq. ft. bag of fertilizer works for my yard when the spreader is set per the directions

CmmTch

High Ridge, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to fartness

As others have said, try watering for a week or two and see if your yard starts to come back, don't overwater, an inch per day of water would be about right.

Sorry to point it out again, but maybe all/most of the green in your yard was weeds, it happens sometimes.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

said by CmmTch:

As others have said, try watering for a week or two and see if your yard starts to come back, don't overwater, an inch per day of water would be about right.

Maybe I did the math wrong, but that comes out to over 21K gallons of water a week. Who the heck can afford that ....... and I'm figuring a 5K sq.ft. lot ...

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Pacrat

& Yet the FDA allows the stuff in D-con to be used a meds. (The suff is warfarin.)