train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

[Equip] got a new Zoom 5341J, liking it so far

it seems problem-free. i noticed the downstream power decrease from ~3-5dbmv to ~0-2, and SNR rose from ~38 to ~40. my previous modem was a Motorola SB6141.

though i am noticing, the correctable errors have been increasing at a rate of around 5-10 per minute. the results above have an uptime of ~18 hours, and we've transferred ~40-43GB. worth concern?

Kasoah
join:2013-08-20
Merced, CA

Kasoah

said by train_wreck:

though i am noticing, the correctable errors have been increasing at a rate of around 5-10 per minute. the results above have an uptime of ~18 hours, and we've transferred ~40-43GB. worth concern?

it's higher than normal, but it's spread across evenly and all are correctable
it's fine

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
Just out of curiosity, were you finally able to get the Zoom 5341J activated via the walled garden site, or were you able to find a CSR willing to activate a "non approved" modem for BCI service?

As for the correctable errors, you have more than I would care to see for such a short time frame, but if the increment rate does not get any worse, and you don't loose sync, it is probably not worth contacting Comcast support about (especially since your stats in general look good).

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to train_wreck

to train_wreck
How hot is this modem to the touch? I have a a 5341H which is quit a bit more than warm - pretty hot - as has been mentioned by others in these forums.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by Streetlight:

How hot is this modem to the touch? I have a a 5341H which is quit a bit more than warm - pretty hot - as has been mentioned by others in these forums.

it is quite hot, particularly when we are transferring a lot of data through it. i have almost considered a small fan for it, as it is heating up the other equipment i have on my makeshift rack.
train_wreck

train_wreck to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

Just out of curiosity, were you finally able to get the Zoom 5341J activated via the walled garden site, or were you able to find a CSR willing to activate a "non approved" modem for BCI service?

walled garden did not work; i had to call in. the rep i talked to was willing to to activate it for me, but said he had to submit a request to tier 2 for it to be processed accordingly. i had wanted to add the Zoom but keep the Motorola on my account, so that i could swap out modems and have them work immediately, without calling in. he said that was not possible, and that Comcast made a few exceptions for a scenario like this "for hospitals or army bases or place like that" (lol). so the SB6141 had to be removed from my account before the Zoom could be activated.

in somewhat of a typical Comcast fashion, he also said tier 2 would call me within 24 hours to start the switchover process. they did not call me; instead, the switchover was done sometime in the middle of the night without my notice, as I woke up to no internet service with the SB6141. making an educated guess that they had already deactivated the Motorola, i plugged in the Zoom, and sure enough it connected properly.
madbavarian
join:2013-03-05
Fremont, CA

madbavarian to train_wreck

to train_wreck
Turn the modem sideways. That will help. That's what I do for all my devices. You'll get more convection cooling to cool the PC board if it is vertical.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by madbavarian:

Turn the modem sideways. That will help. That's what I do for all my devices. You'll get more convection cooling to cool the PC board if it is vertical.

This. When I was using a Zoom 5352 it was a lot cooler when it was vertical and on the stand.

There should be a little stand as part of the 5341's left side that you flip out. It might just be an included accessory for the 5341 though. I just know that the stand was part of the 5352.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

i had wanted to add the Zoom but keep the Motorola on my account, so that i could swap out modems and have them work immediately, without calling in. he said that was not possible, and that Comcast made a few exceptions for a scenario like this "for hospitals or army bases or place like that" (lol). so the SB6141 had to be removed from my account before the Zoom could be activated.

Strange (like most things related to Comcast support) -- that is exactly the opposite of my experience with activating multiple modems on a BCI account. I could not even get them to remove an old DOCSIS 2 EOL D-Link modem from my account (the CSR said he was afraid that might somehow do strange things to my account status). The only modem they removed automatically was my old rented SMCD3G-CCR gateway (and that was not removed until after it was physically returned to Comcast several weeks after my first SB6121 was activated). Not only are there three modems assigned to my BCI account, but I have on multiple occasions had two of them on-line and active simultaneously while doing some testing that I wanted to be on two physically isolated subnets.

Desii
join:2014-02-25
Yuba City, CA

Desii to train_wreck

to train_wreck
Regarding both modems, why is the SB6141 approved for extreme 150 and deluxe 150, but the 5341J is not?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Desii:

Regarding both modems, why is the SB6141 approved for extreme 150 and deluxe 150, but the 5341J is not?

The Zoom 5341J not indicating as approved for those 150 Mbps speed tiers is due to an oversight, see: »Re: [Equip] Best D3 modem?

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to Desii

to Desii
said by Desii:

no idea; it should be capable, i would think. it's technically not "approved" for BCI, but i have it working fine

EDIT telcodad See Profile beat me to it

Desii
Yuba City, CA

Desii to train_wreck

to train_wreck
Thanks fellas
JimONeill
join:2001-06-13
Santa Maria, CA

JimONeill to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

The Zoom 5341J not indicating as approved for those 150 Mbps speed tiers is due to an oversight, see: »Re: [Equip] Best D3 modem?

Comcast updated »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ to include the Extreme 150 tier in early April. If this is simply an oversight that was pointed out to them over two months ago, then why hasn't it been fixed yet?

I would definitely think that the 5341J, being an 8x4 modem just as is the SB6141, could handle the 150 Mbps download speeds. But the fact that it's still not listed as being compatible makes me wonder whether some other incompatibility exists.

If Comcast hasn't written an Extreme 150 config file for it, it won't work, right?

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

actually looks like they tried to send me a config file for an SB6120 yesterday... weird
wTheOnew
join:2012-03-09

wTheOnew to JimONeill

to JimONeill
said by JimONeill:

If this is simply an oversight that was pointed out to them over two months ago, then why hasn't it been fixed yet?

The oversight needs to get to someone that capable of doing something about it and cares enough to actually do it. I would assume, as with most large companies, this combination consists of probably two people. So everyone that knows about the issue either doesn't care enough to escalate it or doesn't know how / can't escalate it.

For example, Progressive auto insurance has some wrong information on their discounts page and I've mentioned it every single time I've called, I've asked managers to tell them, and I've emailed and it still hasn't been changed after several years.

Anno
@68.62.236.x

Anno to train_wreck

Anon

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

actually looks like they tried to send me a config file for an SB6120 yesterday... weird

From what I've seen at times if you have multiple modems on your account some of the systems default what they are sending to the first modem on the account only.

If you had a 6120 that was on your account ever and it wasn't removed all the way this is very common.
johnfc
join:2002-11-23
Gaithersburg, MD

johnfc to JimONeill

to JimONeill
I am on 150 and the zoom 5341J works fine. No problem here.
JimONeill
join:2001-06-13
Santa Maria, CA

JimONeill

said by johnfc:

I am on 150 and the zoom 5341J works fine. No problem here.

Well, that answers that then! Thanks very much.

Desii
Yuba City, CA

Desii to train_wreck

to train_wreck
I just replaced my SB6141 with the 5341J today and I'm enjoying it so far. The SNR went from 38 on my SB6141 to 41 on my 5341J!
Downstream power was however 0 dBmV on all 8 channels on my SB6141.
The upstream is the same on both modems.
The reason why I replaced the Motorola was because every time the modem rebooted for whatever reason, it would kill the download speed until a series of reboots after that would magically fix the issue. I have no regrets buying this new modem

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Desii:

I just replaced my SB6141 with the 5341J today and I'm enjoying it so far.
The SNR went from 38 on my SB6141 to 41 on my 5341J!
Downstream power was however 0 dBmV on all 8 channels on my SB6141.
The upstream is the same on both modems.

The Power and SNR readings on these modems are probably only accurate to within a few dB, so they really can't be closely compared between different makes and models, or even between 2 different units of the same model.

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Tobin

Signal level differences could also be due to different channels being grabbed as well as general line maintenance... My upstream power dipped 5dB at some point last week and has stayed there...

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to Desii

to Desii
said by Desii:

The reason why I replaced the Motorola was because every time the modem rebooted for whatever reason, it would kill the download speed until a series of reboots after that would magically fix the issue.

mm i believe others have had this problem as well. nice zeros on the error count tho.

i wonder why this modem seems to have better readings than the Motorola, when connected to the same plant? i guess the chipset in the Zoom can tolerate worse signal environment?

Desii
Yuba City, CA

Desii

My assumption for the SNR change was the chipset as well. You and telcodad both make valid points.

Devious
Premium Member
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

Devious to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
I loved my 5341J while it worked.

Then I heard a pop and saw smoke coming out of it.

Opened it up and the chip was cracked.

Not sure why as the room was only 68 degrees at the time.

Lasted three years so now I am trying a SB6141.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to train_wreck

MVM

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

nice zeros on the error count tho.

The Zoom only seems to start counting errors after the connection is established and finalized. The Motorola starts counting as soon as it begins ranging.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by andyross:

said by train_wreck:

The Zoom only seems to start counting errors after the connection is established and finalized. The Motorola starts counting as soon as it begins ranging.

Yes, with my old Motorola SB6121 modem, I found that there would be about several hundred to a thousand uncorrectable codewords count showing for each channel right after the modem booted up.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by telcodad:

said by andyross:

said by train_wreck:

Yes, with my old Motorola SB6121 modem, I found that there would be about several hundred to a thousand uncorrectable codewords count showing for each channel right after the modem booted up.

yes i saw this on the 6141 as well. however, on that unit, i also saw the uncorrectables rise at an even pace with the correctables; this Zoom appears like it can "correct" errors better than the 6141.

assuming those error counts are accurate, of course