spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Looking for a passive antenna

I have an Lte device now and am getting three bars of Lte service. I would like to boost that a bit more but the device I bought doesn't have antenna ports for an external antenna. On Amazon I found one but I'm not sure if it would work for my device which is a Verizon-890L-26D8 Lte hotspot.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Expand your moderator at work
Xtreme2damax

4 edits

Xtreme2damax

Re: Looking for a passive antenna

Not homemade, a commercial passive solution. I'm looking for a decent commercial passive solution, that much should of been apparent by thoroughly reading the op.

I looked on Amazon where one antenna was listed but I'm not sure if it's just for mobile phones or if it will work with my hotspot. There are no other listings for a passive antenna, I'm unsure where else to look and I don't deal with eBay.
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal to Xtreme2damax

Premium Member

to Xtreme2damax
Passive antennas do not work without an amplifier . Been tried many times.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

2 edits

Xtreme2damax

Which I intend to purchase, been looking around for affordable amplifiers. I can save a few bucks on the devices and look into an affordable amplifier. I just need something to give me an extra bar or two and so signal doesn't drop when moving it to another place in my home.

My device was fairly cheap and if I decide to get another device or two that will save me then can look into an affordable passive antenna plus amp. The issue with some devices is they don't seem to have antenna ports in them and that fact isn't known in some cases until after the purchase is made if there's no mention of that detail online.

With my parents looking to dump Hughesnet next year we can get up running a bit cheaper and without a contract.

Edit:

I'm sorry for being condescending and mocking above but that's not what I was asking about. Everything in that other thread was blown out of proportion plus fear mongering that such solutions would cause cancer or fry our brains thus is why they are "illegal".

Maybe members here shouldn't suggest things that are illegal. Then unsuspecting member like myself wouldn't be caught in the crossfire finding out the only inexpensive solution supposedly isn't legal.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

said by Xtreme2damax:

Maybe members here shouldn't suggest things that are illegal.

You asked how to make something illegal and brushed off the legality.
said by Xtreme2damax:

Then unsuspecting member like myself wouldn't be caught in the crossfire finding out the only inexpensive solution supposedly isn't legal.

There was no "crossfire". Only responsible people telling you to not do something illegal.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

4 edits

Xtreme2damax

There were members in another thread that suggested it to me.

It was other members of this community that linked me to tutorials how to make such antennas even homemade Yagi antennas but it it's illegal why would they do that? As I was unaware of the legalities surrounding this I got caught up in a bunch of bs when I wanted to construct something a bit more advanced based on the same concept suggested to me. At no point was I suggesting putting electrical current through it, basically sticking with a shiny reflective surface the signal would bounce off to give a bit more gain.

I'm sure that isn't illegal and the law only regulates specific components. Surely the law encompasses anything with some kind of current flowing through it i.e. directly connected to a device? Standalone stuff not directly hooked to electronic devices nor has any current flowing through is most likely exempt else everything would need fcc approval lol. Let's require fcc approval for anything between the device and tower the signal might bounce off of mmk? Everything in the home or outside also needs fcc approval, my metal siding needs fcc approval. When will the FBI chopper and swat team show up btw?

The law seems to focus on making sure nothing emits harmful frequencies and correlates to electronic devices some of which have antennas directly attached to the devices. That I could understand but not a simple piece of cardboard with some tin foil wrapped around in. I'm sure the law in general terms doesn't cover it nor forbids it.

I know a lot of people tend to misinterpret laws due to their tricky wording or interpret how they believe it to be but not how it actually is. Others skim over stuff then come to the wrong conclusions because who really wants to be arsed to read long boring stuff thoroughly..

Being in a home with metal siding something like that is needed. Stick the device in a window with a curved rectangular piece of cardboard covered in tin foil so signals reflect off towards the general direction of the tower.

I ask again if it's illegal how come members here suggested it to me and no one else said a word? How come tutorials exist on forums that I was linked to from here, forums that are bound by US law? I didn't disregard the illegality of it I just wrote it off as bs and presumed everyone misinterpreted what I was asking. I'm sure a standalone piece of cardboard with some tin foil on it is not encompassed by the law or fcc and is exempt.

Anyways I don't even know why you assumed I was asking the same thing in this thread. In the op I explained what I was after, and actual passive antenna sold commercially and mentioned looking on Amazon. I don't even know how this derailed into a discussion about what I asked in the other thread.
Expand your moderator at work
Xtreme2damax

4 edits

Xtreme2damax to Anon

to Anon

Re: Looking for a passive antenna

You kind of brought this upon yourself. No need to bring something unrelated from another topic into this, next time read a bit more carefully. Regardless there has been no proof provided to support claims of illegality and I'm fairly certain the fcc doesn't encompass standalone stuff not hooked to an electronic device with current unless proven otherwise.

Proof:

- Plain non legalese wording of law
- What exactly the law encompasses.
- What is not covered/prohibited.
- Perhaps a court ruling/statement listing what is or isn't prohibited.

As I said how you interpret the law and what the law actually is are two different things. People tend to misinterpret the law all the time when it's not the basic stuff where lawyer input is needed to translate the confusing legalese and terms. Are you claiming to have consulted a lawyer, fcc official or court official well versed with Federal Communications laws in regards to pieces of cardboard covered with tin foil? Are you claiming to be a lawyer or one of these officials?

But do continue to be stubborn about it and neglect to answer my questions.

In fact don't bother responding without something constructive to say. My inquiry had nothing to do with the other topic and shouldn't have been mentioned here. Congrats on derailing the thread so hard the train crashed into Nebula X. Leave the dead (threads) dead, sometimes deader is better.

Btw you wouldn't happen to sell wireless equipment? People that make their own antennas must be a real buzzkill for you and business huh?

Edit: Still waiting on that proof. I don't expect you will reply again with said proof and rather stubbornly point the finger at me claiming fallacies. Then when I refute back and basically say it's silly you accuse me of being disrespectful and disregarding the law. How typical, stay classy man you won't be getting my business so it shouldn't matter now right?

You can't claim I'm disregarding the law without first providing evidence of the law. Provide a plain non legalese definition stating what the law encompasses or doesn't cover and what is/isn't allowed without fcc approval. Did you expect that I would know any of that and did you expect I would just take the word of randoms on an internet forum?
Max Signal
Premium Member
Buffalo, NY

Premium Member

to Xtreme2damax
said by Xtreme2damax:

Which I intend to purchase, been looking around for affordable amplifiers. I can save a few bucks on the devices and look into an affordable amplifier. I just need something to give me an extra bar or two and so signal doesn't drop when moving it to another place in my home.

My device was fairly cheap and if I decide to get another device or two that will save me then can look into an affordable passive antenna plus amp. The issue with some devices is they don't seem to have antenna ports in them and that fact isn't known in some cases until after the purchase is made if there's no mention of that detail online.

With my parents looking to dump Hughesnet next year we can get up running a bit cheaper and without a contract.

Edit:

I'm sorry for being condescending and mocking above but that's not what I was asking about. Everything in that other thread was blown out of proportion plus fear mongering that such solutions would cause cancer or fry our brains thus is why they are "illegal".

Maybe members here shouldn't suggest things that are illegal. Then unsuspecting member like myself wouldn't be caught in the crossfire finding out the only inexpensive solution supposedly isn't legal.

Now is not the time to buy an amplifier . Wait a few months as the there is a backlog at the FCC approving the new units for the new standards . Also buying an antenna now will be a waste of money . Under the new regulations all amplifier must be sold kitted with the actual antennas that were used in the FCC testing process. So when you do get an amplifier kit you have an antenna you have no use for
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Oh wow that's a pain. I'm sorry for the drama btw, sometimes I tend to get worked up and lack of sleep has turned me into quite a manic grouch. I didn't expect someone to bring up what I asked in that other topic again as that wasn't what I was inquiring in this thread.

I clearly need something though because if I move the device from the window I'll see it drop to one bar of Lte then as I move the device around to other parts of my small home it'll drop to 3G and then 1x mode. There's an extra room in my home I want to designate as my computer room but can't get a good enough signal in there. There's the fact that even though I get three bars of Lte with the device in the window I see quite a variance in speed/performance so often performance is degraded. Sometimes speed/latency is great like the other night when I managed to pull 17Mbps down and 3Mbps up with under 40ms ping. Today was a different story, I could barely get 1Mbps to 3Mbps down and up with pings around 60ms or worse.
Max Signal
Premium Member
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

If the LTE you are getting from Sprint is on 1900 mhz . Pick up an old dual, band wireless amplifier on EBAY and it should get the job done for you. Problem with new Frequencies that Sprint will be using 800 mhz - from Nextel and 2500 mhz from Clear it is illegal at this time to build amplifiers for those frequencies.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Actually it's Lte from Verizon as no one else offers Lte here currently, I'm unsure what frequency it is.

The device is a ZTE Verizon 890L jetpack. For $50 I can't complain and it works decently enough I'd say when it's working at full capacity:

My only gripe is apparently Verizon doesn't seem to offer higher than 10GB, must be device specific as I know they offer higher data packages than that. Although I wonder if there is a way I can get higher than 10GB with this device.
Max Signal
Premium Member
Buffalo, NY

1 edit

Max Signal

Premium Member

700 mhz more than likely , Millenicom now allows you to bring your own device on the plan on the Verizon network I believe. You could get a Wilson Sleek that covers Verizon 700 mhz . Place your device in the cradle . It will increase your signal . No guarantees on your speed.

»www.wpsantennas.com/4601 ··· eek.aspx
dmc271
join:2008-09-02
Stillwater, OK

dmc271 to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
Xtreme: Max has shared some good wisdom and given you sound advice regarding ways to boost your signal with existing cost-effective amps. As mentioned, the Sleek is a cost-effective solution that has a chance of increasing your signal strength. And he's absolutely correct regarding the increase in signal strength, but no guarantees on speed increase.

BTW, what are your current RSSI and SINR values? Knowing these values will help indicate whether you can expect increases in speed in the first place.

Regarding the amps, another solution would be a 700 MHz and AWS repeater, but those tend to be more expensive. As Max said, it's perhaps wise to wait a bit until the technology settles. I have a 700-MHz-only repeater, and it works extremely well, but soon I'll need to buy an AWS repeater. It's beginning to get pricey! But, this was for boosting my phones' performances. For my internet connection, I use a UML290 + MBR95 router. The UML290 has antenna ports.

This brings to mind another potential, cost-effective solution for you. You could just buy another jetpack that has an antenna port, ideally a unit that has two antenna ports for MIMO support (like the UML290 does). The MHS291L is a highly rated jetpack with two antenna ports and AWS support, and runs about $150 used. The Novatel 4510L or 4620L has only one antenna port and 700 MHz support, but runs for around $30 used. Going this route, you can then buy a 700 MHz antenna (and AWS antenna, if AWS is supported and available in your area), and then plug it directly into your jetpack.

Lots to think about. But, it starts with knowing your current RSSI and SINR to see if your speeds are limited by signal rather than tower load. Let us know those values.

P.S. I tend to stay in the DSL Reports 'Verizon Wireless' forum as there seems to be less drama and an overall helpful/friendly crowd over there.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

1 edit

Xtreme2damax

I tried looking for those values for signal quality but can't find them. The router in this device is pretty poor, Steam server browser kills the connection and servers don't respond. Another flaw is using the connection while the charger is hooked up causes poor performance/speed. But without the charger connected speed is great for normal browsing, 12Mbps to 17Mbps down and 3Mbps up.

I'll look into the options max has listed. According to Wikipedia Millenicom is the only Verizon mvno and if there's others they likely don't offer a data package that would meet my needs. By using Verizon and not Millenicom means I likely won't be given lower priority. Hopefully I can work out the kinks with this device, I wonder if custom firmware is possible and if anyone has made custom firmware for this device. Another thing that bothers me is there appears to be no way to modify dns settings from the device and use something like Google dns nor does the device support usb tethering. :/

It's weird that it's just the one window where I can get three bars of Lte.

Btw I posted in the Verizon section about the above issues I mentioned and have been waiting for assistance. I've been wanting to play a game online but am heckling with the unresponsive server browser and other issues because the device seems to get saturated too easily.
Max Signal
Premium Member
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

If you do go the Sleek Route . I would advise upgrading the antenna . The one they ship with it is not the greatest.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax to dmc271

to dmc271
said by dmc271 :
BTW, what are your current RSSI and SINR values? Knowing these values will help indicate whether you can expect increases in speed in the first place.
I had to dig into the options on the device to find this information. The rssi is -62db (low) and -80db (high) and I couldn't find the SINR.

I'm basically stuck on 3G speeds during the day and at night as if magic I get Lte speed. Having the charger connected while using the internet degrades speed for some weird reason.

I have trouble with this device and the Steam server browser. Does anyone know what that "encrypted" config file contains because this device is fairly underwhelming and doesn't have basic features such as changing dns servers from the device and the ability to tweak other things.

I wonder if someone made and released custom firmware that fixes wifi and connection issue and offers additional options the default firmware doesn't..

Also there are what looks like to upright side by side check marks by where it shows 4G LTE on the device display. At a quick glance they look almost like a music note. I can not figure out what that is indicating but it keeps blinking.
dmc271
Stillwater, OK

dmc271

said by Xtreme2damax:

The rssi is -62db (low) and -80db (high) and I couldn't find the SINR.

Those RSSI values are quite good. The larger the absolute value, the worse the signal gets (so -62 is better than -80). In the -60s range is considered excellent. It's too bad that the router doesn't tell you the SINR value. That's the really important number, but not all manufacturers report them, unfortunately.
said by Xtreme2damax:

I wonder if someone made and released custom firmware that fixes wifi and connection issue and offers additional options the default firmware doesn't.

Unfortunately, you don't really see custom firmware for any of the Verizon routers. It's not like the Sierra Overdrive, which many have hacked. It's too bad.
said by Xtreme2damax:

Also there are what looks like to upright side by side check marks by where it shows 4G LTE on the device display. At a quick glance they look almost like a music note. I can not figure out what that is indicating but it keeps blinking.

Those are activity indicators for download/upload activity.
dmc271

dmc271 to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
I think the next thing to try would be to determine if your speeds are limited by a noisy signal or limited by too many users on the tower.

What kind of speeds are you seeing? And, do these speeds change during peak vs. non-peak times? For example, when I test at 3am, I can nearly get the max my tower can deliver, which is 36 Mbps. But, around 9-10pm, it can drop to 5-10 Mbps.

If you consistently get poor speeds, locate your tower, and drive close to it with your jetpack. Do the speeds noticeably increase? Maybe try this during peak hours.
dmc271

dmc271 to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
Also, unless you live on a hill, it usually helps to get as high as possible. Take your jetpack on the roof during one of your slow-speed times, and see if the speeds improve.

Also, do you know if XLTE is available in your area? (You can go to a Verizon store to ask.)
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax to dmc271

to dmc271
Well my best is 17Mbps down and almost 4Mbps up in late evening, usually around midnight. During the day I struggle to get 1Mbps to 3Mbps down and barely 1Mbps up. I have to keep the device in the Window else I lost 4G. Take it anywhere else even outside it's either 3G or 1x which is weird. Might as well keep it on the window as it's not like I can tether it via usb.

I wish I could figure out how to resolve the issue with the Steam server browser and servers. Everything else is fine atm unless I want to move the device elsewhere, take it outside or over to my parents. The issue with the Steam server browser and servers as well as poor daytime speeds is my main concern atm. I hope my only option isn't a new device and I can hopefully make this work out until I can afford something better.

XLTE? Probably not, I'm in a rural area and don't even think they are full size towers since no one cares about rural areas other than satellite companies. Me and my parents had enough with satellite hell, they are looking to drop Hughesnet next year once their contract is up. The ironic thing is TDS offers service around the corner but won't come down into the park. I don't know whose lines they use or what type of service it is because a Verizon tech came out to try hooking up DSL but couldn't acquire a signal as the nearest terminal is almost ten miles away.
dmc271
Stillwater, OK

dmc271 to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
It really sounds like you're suffering from a poor signal. I'm surprised it reports such good RSSI values.

The cheapest option for you would be to buy a UML290, VL600, or 4510L, and then connect an external antenna. (UML290 and VL600 are USB modems; 4510L is a hotspot). All three of these accept an external antenna. Seriously, they go on eBay for under $20. The external antenna will cost extra, but Wilson sells a wideband log-periodic which runs for ~$50 on Amazon, or send me a PM and I can advise you on a cheaper alternative.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

2 edits

Xtreme2damax

Yeah I'll look into something else. Got this because I needed to get back up with my own internet and it was cheap, $49.99 + $2.99 shipping so I got it to save some money. I didn't realize the device was so inferior and thought it would be better than my old Overdrive Pro. I suppose next time I'll spend a bit more to get a decent device with an antenna.

However thank you.

Edit: My new best, why can't it be like this during the day?

I think the charger that came with the device it junk. Tried the charger from the old hotspot and it doesn't degrade performance.

Edit: I wish data updated real time. This delayed bs makes it even harder to track usage. Oddly it seems reported used is higher than what I believe my actual usage to be but not that far off.
Randamin
join:2010-11-29
Laredo, TX

Randamin to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
said by Xtreme2damax:

said by dmc271 :
I have trouble with this device and the Steam server browser. Does anyone know what that "encrypted" config file contains because this device is fairly underwhelming and doesn't have basic features such as changing dns servers from the device and the ability to tweak other things.

I seemed to have had the same experience of the connection dropping at the server browser when I had an Actiontech DSL router. It seemed to have been related to pinging all the servers in the list that the router could not handle the so many return pings. In the in-game section of the settings window there is a max pings/minute adjustment.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

I tried adjusting that but it didn't do much good. I seem to also be getting choke/ping spikes but am not sure if it's the servers I tried playing on or if it's the poor wifi router in the device.

Anywho the bit about service issues can be continued in my thread in the Verizon wireless section. I suppose it might be best to wait until I can purchase a better device that supports external antennas on Amazon.
Xtreme2damax

4 edits

Xtreme2damax

I wanted to say that my speed has been better during the day than it was but doesn't really shine speedwise until late evening or early morning. I think the charging adapter that came with the device caused deteriorated performance while plugged in. I'm using the adapted I had for my overdrive pro which seems to be working fine without the deteriorated performance I was experiencing with the other adapter.

On the window the device sits with three bars of Lte and -75 to -78 RSSI. But that's the only place I get Lte oddly. I take it down from that one window and anywhere else in my house it's either 3G/1x/CDMA, same deal taking the device outside where one would think I'd get a better signal lol.

Edit: Not meaning to bring this up again but I can't help but notice wirelessdog's utter silence now. Meaning he either slapped me on ignore or is unable to provide the proof I requested and doesn't want to admit to spouting nonsense.

Sorry bud not interested in what you are selling if that was your motive behind trying to scare me away from making my own antennas or harmless signal boosters using reflective materials. Now that I think of it that does seem like yours and others motives for trying to scare me so anyone not buying wireless equipment because equipment dealers potentially lose sales so that would likely get someone in the wireless business bothered. If you wanted to end it all that needed to be done is detailed evidence/proof posted as I requested in my later post.

However I doubt I'll see any of that nor any further responses on your behalf so I'm likely wasting my time editing this in. But yeah I'm not going to worry to much until you do so and law enforcement doesn't seem interested in enforcing this so called law, busting anyones doors down nor have there been precedents set in court besides (possibly) solely for equipment manufacturers. But for now it's all hot air and water under the bridge..
staregazer
join:2006-12-15

staregazer to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
Maybe the window is acting like a reflector of some sorts bringing more signal to the phone.
Max Signal
Premium Member
Buffalo, NY

Premium Member

to Xtreme2damax
Things seem to getting going again at the FCC regarding new products being approved . Look for more options to your problems in the next few months