join:2006-11-17
San Francisco, CA

Castaa

Anyone else using Annex M and Fastpath with Sonic.net

With Fastpath enabled:
Down: 14.73 Mb/s Up: 1.20 Mb/s 8 ms ping to speedtest.net

With Annex M enabled: 10.21 Mb/s 1.55 Mb/s 20 ms

With neither enabled: 15.61 Mb/s 1.13 Mb/s 30 ms

The drawback for me for Annex M is obvious. Minimal upload increase for significant download speed reduction. What are the drawbacks for Fastpath?

This Sonic.net in San Francisco.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Fastpath has lower latency but slightly slower sync speed and is more susceptible to noise.

/me goes to dig up his numbers...
mackey

mackey

Premium Member

M + Interleave
Line 1 is up and in sync at 2020kbps up and 16215kbps down.
Line 2 is up and in sync at 2058kbps up and 15172kbps down.

M + Fastpath
Line 1 is up and in sync at 2015kbps up and 15618kbps down.
Line 2 is up and in sync at 2071kbps up and 14542kbps down.

No M + Interleave
Line 1 is up and in sync at 1336kbps up and 20798kbps down.
Line 2 is up and in sync at 1327kbps up and 20484kbps down.

Sorry, no latency or "No M + Fastpath" measurements

Bonded ADSL2+ Fusion in LA.

/M

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to Castaa

MVM

to Castaa
I have dual-line bonded Fusion with Annex M and I'm losing about 2Mbps of download speed for about 0.5Mbps of upload speed per line. Due to my large distance I'm not getting all that much download speed anyway which means that I'm ending up with almost symmetrical bandwidth after enabling Annex M.

Fastpath enabled or disabled has minimal impact on bandwidth as long as your line is error free. However it does effect latency (fastpath enabled = lower latency). If you do have occasional line errors then with fastpath enabled chances are that the data needs to be retransmitted which will impact bandwidth. Too many retransmits are also likely to trigger retraining the modem at a lower speed which is noticeable as a temporary interruption in Internet service. With fastpath disabled chances are that the data can be corrected on the receiving end without the need to retransmit any data.
Castaa
join:2006-11-17
San Francisco, CA

Castaa

said by leibold:

I have dual-line bonded Fusion with Annex M and I'm losing about 2Mbps of download speed for about 0.5Mbps of upload speed per line. Due to my large distance I'm not getting all that much download speed anyway which means that I'm ending up with almost symmetrical bandwidth after enabling Annex M.

Fastpath enabled or disabled has minimal impact on bandwidth as long as your line is error free. However it does effect latency (fastpath enabled = lower latency). If you do have occasional line errors then with fastpath enabled chances are that the data needs to be retransmitted which will impact bandwidth. Too many retransmits are also likely to trigger retraining the modem at a lower speed which is noticeable as a temporary interruption in Internet service. With fastpath disabled chances are that the data can be corrected on the receiving end without the need to retransmit any data.

Thanks to both of you for your info. It was helpful!

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper to Castaa

Premium Member

to Castaa
Click for full size
A bit of fun:

Line 1:
Service Type VDSL2 A
Sync Mode Interleave
Download Speed 51680 kbps
Upload Speed 7196 kbps

Line 2:
Service Type VDSL2 A
Sync Mode Interleave
Download Speed 48880 kbps
Upload Speed 7200 kbps

Aggregate sum (from Pace modem at »gateway.sonic.net)
Broadband
download 100561Kbps
upload 14393Kbps

There's no Annex M for VDSL2, but who needs it, right?

To answer the first question that should spring to mind, loop length at this location is 1,700ft. VDSL2 is in limited deployment, just a couple of COs for testing so far.

Neato, though!

-Dane

@184.23.131.x

Anon

> 100Mb down, 14Mb up @ 1700 ft.

I hate you. I'm at 13K feet, for goodness sake.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA

leibold

MVM

I'm at 11-12k feet.
The performance of VDSL2 degrades to the level of ADSL2+ around 5k feet so there would be no change for us.
I guess we have to wait for Sonic to bring fiber into our areas.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

said by leibold:

I'm at 11-12k feet.
The performance of VDSL2 degrades to the level of ADSL2+ around 5k feet so there would be no change for us.

Yup, a bit under 25% of our customers are within a distance where VDSL2 would yield gains. For some of these, the increase is pretty dramatic though.

-Dane