MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to mattmag

MVM

to mattmag

[Landscaping] Re: Scotts fertilizer / weed killer yellow bag

said by mattmag:

Sounds like an over-application of the product. Dead grass is almost always from being burned from too much fertilizer.

That would be my guess as well.

Fartness: How big is your yard ?
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Zillow says I have 8000 square feet, but that seems small.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

FYI a large bag of Scotts weed and feed lasts me a whole season. I apply once a month or so.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to fartness

MVM

to fartness
said by fartness:

I have 8000 square feet, but that seems small.

So... you bought 1 large bag (covers 15,000 sq.ft.) or 2 small bags (covers 10,000 sq.ft @ 5,000 sq.ft each). If you used an entire 15,000 sq.ft. bag of TurfBuilder w/Weed Contol, you applied about twice as much as you should have. Did you even read the directions as to spreader setting recommendation??? They even give you a way to determine the rate of dispersal for an off-brand spreader... be it a drop spreader or a broadcast spreader. Right now, my money's on too much fertilizer... nitrogen burn!!! It's really not rocket science, y'know??? Brings to mind the old adage: "When all else fails... follow directions!!!" The only time I have ever experienced fertilizer burn when using any fertilizer is when the gate bar on a very old drop spreader fell off due to rust/corrosion, and the hopper emptied itself right there... before I could get it stopped. I scooped/swept up as much as I could, and then flooded the immediate area with the hose. It was a futile gesture... to say the least.

Reminds me of an old radio ad I once heard for D-Con Rat Poison... "...perfectly safe, when used as directed, around children, pets, poultry, and livestock." The directions on the package... "DO NOT USE AROUND CHILDREN, PETS, POULTRY AND LIVESTOCK!"

About the only recourse you have is to water the crap out of your lawn for days on end. That may enable you to salvage some of it. Otherwise... wait a few weeks and re-seed the whole thing!

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

& Yet the FDA allows the stuff in D-con to be used a meds. (The suff is warfarin.)