Search similar:

uniqs
Gator06
join:2014-05-06
Orlando, FL

Gator06

[TV] Discovery Channels Interlace Issue

In reference to this post »Video Distortion

I've been having a similar issue the past few days. I've tried reconnecting and swapping HDMI cables with no success. Upon further investigation, it appears this only happens on the Discovery network of channels. All others appear normal. Can anyone else confirm on channel 1256 in Orlando? Maybe a broadcast issue on Discovery's side?
kmdean
join:2012-06-22
Orlando, FL

kmdean

Yes, I'm from that thread, and I've also notices that Discovery is looking wrong while other channels look fine. So it doesn't appear to be an issue with the hardware which normally affects all channels and is easily cleared up. The Discovery channel issue visually looks the same but never goes away.... at least during Deadliest Catch.
Gator06
Orlando, FL

Gator06

Any update to this? The channels (Discovery, TLC, etc) still look horrible.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Gator06

Premium Member

to Gator06
Nothing system related has been found. This should be treated as a local meaning your house service issue.
Gator06
Orlando, FL

Gator06

This seems like too much of a coincidence...

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· p/706314

If it were a local issue, I don't see how it would happen on only certain channels that all happen to be owned by the same network. It's 100% repeatable. I'm not suggesting Brighthouse is causing the issue, but maybe the signal being received by Discovery isn't correct?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Gator06

Premium Member

to Gator06
I can't duplicate it...folks in your region have been unable to duplicate it so until such time as that changes this needs to be treated as something local to you regardless of whats being discussed in another providers forums.
Gator06
Orlando, FL

Gator06

Thanks for looking into it. I'll schedule a service appointment.
kmdean
Orlando, FL

kmdean to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Umm, I confirmed seeing the same thing with Discovery as Gator06.

Gator06, what DVR do you have in case it's the same? I have the Cisco 8742HDC.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

We cannot see it on the feed that service both of you. Therefore these need to be treated locally first and if necessary look beyond.
Gator06
Orlando, FL

Gator06

Tech was just here and wasn't sure how to fix it. Signal levels are within spec and didn't think a box swap would have done anything so we avoided that so I wouldn't lose everything on my DVR. Whats next?
Gator06

Gator06 to kmdean

to kmdean
kmdean,
I've got an 8640HDC. The picture is clear on every other channel. The on screen information is clear, even on the channels affected by the interlacing. It's only on the broadcast itself. Is yours the same?

k84
join:2010-08-10
Orlando, FL

k84 to Gator06

to Gator06
Something to try...

Go to the resolution settings and activate 720p. Then disable 720p / switch back to 1080i.

See if the problem is gone then.

I've had this fix a few picture quality issues.
kmdean
Orlando, FL

kmdean to Gator06

to Gator06
My other channels are fine. It's just Discovery of the channels I watch that has the resolution issue.
kmdean

kmdean to k84

to k84
I'd already tried that the other day with no effect.
kmdean

kmdean to Gator06

to Gator06
Just following up to note that my Discover channel is back to good quality now.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Gator06

Premium Member

to Gator06
Interesting...
kmdean
Orlando, FL

kmdean

...and now at least with Mythbusters the picture quality is now back to poor. It looked fine with Deadliest Catch last week. Was working on the computer with Deadliest this week so I didn't note whether there was a problem or not.
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz to Gator06

to Gator06
I just happened to find this thread in a search. This isnt just a BH thing. I have Fios myself and am seeing it on all Discovery Communications owned channels. Animal Planet, TLC, etc..
It has to be on their end.
Illuminated
join:2014-08-02

Illuminated to Gator06

to Gator06
Verizon FiOS related thread:
»forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· p/718052
Gator06
Orlando, FL

Gator06

The problem went away a couple weeks ago but has since returned. Currently looking at a horrible picture on TLC. Quite a bizarre issue. I have to agree its broadcast related somehow. Its always on the same channels, which just happen to all fall under the umbrella of Discovery Networks.
zroger73
join:2004-07-01
White Oak, TX

zroger73 to Gator06

to Gator06
I'm on Suddenlink in Texas using TiVo Premiers and started experiencing this issue a few weeks ago. Right now, I'm watching Science and the picture looks like it is missing every other scan line and the remaining scan line is visibly "wiggling" up and down. This is terribly annoying!