All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mtop
join:2014-06-22

mtop

[Homephone] Removal of Bell Box attached to house

I'm moving into a new house and the previous owners had Bell phone/internet, however I won't be getting Bell service. On the outside of the house there is a small grey Bell box attached to the house and inside there is a power supply box next to the electrical panel. I want to remove them as it's a bit of a eye sore (and was poorly installed) and I have no use for it. Do I have to call Bell to remove it (if so are they going to charge me) or can I just remove it?

Thanks

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

You are not allowed to touch it. It is called a Network Interface Device or NID. It is Bell's equipment. You could call them and ask them to remove it, but it is entirely within their right to say no.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

2 recommendations

btech805 to mtop

to mtop
There is a charge to remove it usually to the tune of $99. It is not your property and are not allowed to remove it. Bell will usually send a tech to remove it but the tech will not remove the wires leading to it, and Bell also may tell you they won't send someone to remove it and to not touch it. It is important every house has a service wire and NID to it whether they subscribe to Bell or not, the same is done with cable co. Lines and boxes. Not your property to remove or tamper with whether you subscribe to services or not.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

3 recommendations

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by btech805:

Not your property to remove or tamper with whether you subscribe to services or not.

That sounds about right.

Besides, it's way too difficult to open that little plastic cover and remove those 4 small screws, snip that wire at the hanger above with a pair of side-cutters, toss everything in the garbage, then forget any of it was ever there. And no-one should every counsel a person to do so. That's just wrong.

Mike
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

There is a charge to remove it usually to the tune of $99. It is not your property and are not allowed to remove it. Bell will usually send a tech to remove it but the tech will not remove the wires leading to it, and Bell also may tell you they won't send someone to remove it and to not touch it. It is important every house has a service wire and NID to it whether they subscribe to Bell or not, the same is done with cable co. Lines and boxes. Not your property to remove or tamper with whether you subscribe to services or not.

My house has no cable to it, when i un subscribed videotron they came and removed the wire to the pole. As for bell, many a house in my area without a drop, new construction unless you subscribe they dont run anything
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

That's odd, maybe it is different in Quebec, all new construction here has drops pre ran to them

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

said by btech805:

Not your property to remove or tamper with whether you subscribe to services or not.

That sounds about right.

Besides, it's way too difficult to open that little plastic cover and remove those 4 small screws, snip that wire at the hanger above with a pair of side-cutters, toss everything in the garbage, then forget any of it was ever there. And no-one should every counsel a person to do so. That's just wrong.

Mike

Just because you can doesn't mean you should...

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by DKS:

That's right. I would never counsel or condone such behaviour.

As an aside, I would not recommend removing it. OP may not have use for it, but the people looking at the house to buy it 10 years from now may consider that lack of facilities enough of a PITA to walk instead of buy.

Mike

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
said by btech805:

That's odd, maybe it is different in Quebec, all new construction here has drops pre ran to them

Only in buried areas are the BSW's placed during the construction if we're lucky otherwise in aerial fed areas new drops need to be placed on the first install.
JC_

JC_ to telco_mtl

Premium Member

to telco_mtl
said by telco_mtl:

My house has no cable to it, when i un subscribed videotron they came and removed the wire to the pole. As for bell, many a house in my area without a drop, new construction unless you subscribe they dont run anything

In an aerial area the drop can be removed from the pole to the house however that's not going to happen in a buried area, at most it will be zip tied to the hydro stack.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by JC_:

In an aerial area the drop can be removed from the pole to the house however that's not going to happen in a buried area, at most it will be zip tied to the hydro stack.

What about an area that is aerial fed from the pole but then goes underground to just that specific property?

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by JC_:

What about an area that is aerial fed from the pole but then goes underground to just that specific property?

Same thing as a buried area, the BSW is going to be left in place.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

LazMan to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by dillyhammer:

said by btech805:

That sounds about right.

Mike

If Bell wanted to push it that far (and they rarely do, but could) you could be charged with a federal crime - interfering with a communications network...

Just ignore it - or if it's that sloppy, call bell to come pretty it up.

Plus odds are good if you have an inside power supply, you're in a FTTH area - doubly bad to cut it...

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by LazMan:

Plus odds are good if you have an inside power supply, you're in a FTTH area - doubly bad to cut it...

$$$$$$$
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to LazMan

to LazMan
My old POTS line still has battery, so i can plug in an old 1A2 signal lamp when the power is off and have a bit of light!