Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

fan blade replacement

So awhile back you know I found that free drum fan and I think I know ow why they got rid of it.. for the size the airflow is not that great. Most of the air flow is right on the fan around the outside outer diameter.

Anyways I was curious if the entire fan blade assembly can be replaced?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

You would need to find a HVAC supply. They would have fans of specific sizes.

Probably would cost more than it is worth and they my not sell the fans retail.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

It's really blade diameter and motor home rating right? I don't know what the pitch is on the current blades are but I was looking for at least 40-48 degrees
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

I saw this site this morning too..

»www.qcsupply.com/farm-li ··· des.html

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to shdesigns

Mod

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

You would need to find a HVAC supply.

Around here I would go to an electric motor supply.

Unimportant
@184.61.116.x

Unimportant to Subaru

Anon

to Subaru
Are the blades metal? I had the same problem with a GE pedestal fan in the house. For years the airflow was lousy. So, I removed the blade assembly and bent the blades on the trailing edge, more than they were from the factory. An amazing difference!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Yes they are metal 3 blade

Unimportant
@184.61.116.x

Unimportant

Anon

said by Subaru:

Yes they are metal 3 blade

Well, then I'd try to twist or bend a greater pitch into them. Be careful to keep things evenish or you might set up a vibration.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

it cant be as bad as it vibrates a little on high. Someone might of bent them before you never know.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
FYI: If you have a Grainger nearby, they have the tool to measure the pitch for you. And they would likely have blades in the catalog that will fit. Just keep in mind that adjustments will effect the motor, you need to watch your amp draw if you decide to go with steeper pitch.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I know it's a AO Smith motor I'd have to put a clamp meter on it before and after.

And we do have one near by
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to Subaru

to Subaru
take a look at this blade design. »www.ebay.com/itm/Patton- ··· e6b2e3e8 that fan puts out enough air evenly to put a good force on your hand when you hold it in front of it. it's very forceful on high. 1000 cfm. I have 2 of those. it's the design of the blade that makes the difference.. the outer diameter of the blade is moving at a higher fpm, so normally, that produces higher air flow at the outer diameter, this compensates for that..

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

My aunt has one of those fans but yes I agree on the fan design however one would expect a fan of this size (48") to put out a decent airflow
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by Subaru:

My aunt has one of those fans but yes I agree on the fan design however one would expect a fan of this size (48") to put out a decent airflow

you got that right.. but it depends on the motor size and pulley sizes, too. if it's like this one, it's probably like a mini hurricane.. »www.globalindustrial.com ··· od3AMA2g

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Ha I wish.. the blades are not that thick nor has that much of a pitch to it.. give me about an hour and a half and I will take a picture of it.. from 10 ft away you can't feel much of anything...
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by Subaru:

Ha I wish.. the blades are not that thick nor has that much of a pitch to it.. give me about an hour and a half and I will take a picture of it.. from 10 ft away you can't feel much of anything...

post the model number.. also, you need to make sure the belt is not slipping, and the correct pulleys are used for the size motor used..

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Does not look like the belt was messed with.. I have a video uploading now but I can tell you 8 ft away you can't feel much of anything at all.
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Well I have a limit on how much you can twist the blades because of the lower motor pulley, while it's better it's not that great still.
iknow_t

iknow_t

is it a model on this page?? »www.airkinglimited.com/c ··· alog.pdf

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

It's 9942D or 9936D
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by Subaru:

It's 9942D or 9936D

there's no model number on the unit anywhere? anyway, the 9942D is 42" and the 9936D is 36" you can measure it with a tape, but what you have may be an older model, the one's mentioned have a 1/3 HP motor, and the bigger one is supposed to put out 13,500 CFM. at 490 RPM.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

No model plate on it at all which is odd, it's only two speeds.
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by Subaru:

No model plate on it at all which is odd, it's only two speeds.

now you have the horsepower and RPM, you can find a blade..

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Still have to watch the blade pitch if it's too much it will hit the pulley for the motor.

RipTides
join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA

RipTides

Honestly, i think that blade is meant for a direct drive motor, and someone shallowed the pitch out to "make it work" with a pulley drive.
iknow_t

iknow_t to Subaru

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Still have to watch the blade pitch if it's too much it will hit the pulley for the motor.

the blades can be wider, it can be a 5 blade fan, as long as the blades don't extend back further, they can extend forward much more. so there's a lot that can be changed.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I should of taken a picture when the grill was off I twisted at the hub point

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to RipTides

Premium Member

to RipTides
said by RipTides:

Honestly, i think that blade is meant for a direct drive motor, and someone shallowed the pitch out to "make it work" with a pulley drive.

That is what I have been thinking seeing this thread.

We had hundreds of tunnel fans at work, and a few belt drive ones. They are the quietest, and move the most air. Now, when you get blade mismatch, that is another story. Maintenance has been known to "shut employees up" by fixing their fans in any way possible-and the output is lousy.

Edit: (These comments are excluding all the cheap POS Chinese fans that have flooded the market and don't make it more than a season.)
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by jrs8084:

said by RipTides:

That is what I have been thinking seeing this thread.

We had hundreds of tunnel fans at work, and a few belt drive ones. They are the quietest, and move the most air. Now, when you get blade mismatch, that is another story. Maintenance has been known to "shut employees up" by fixing their fans in any way possible-and the output is lousy.

Edit: (These comments are excluding all the cheap POS Chinese fans that have flooded the market and don't make it more than a season.)

if you look in the catalog I linked to, you'll see both the direct and belt drive blades look the same!.