Search similar:

uniqs

gower2352
join:2012-11-26
Laurel, MD

gower2352 to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw

Re: Tivo v. Quantum

One TV setup here. I pay $22.00 for Enhanced and then $11.99 for the Quantum Arris box. Pricey but worth it!

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 edit

aaronwt to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

The time from premiere to roamio was around 5 years I think. The roamio is only a year old. It's not going anywhere.

It was more like 3.5 years. The Premiere was launched in march 2010(I had eight launch Premieres). The Roamio line was launched in late August 2013.

At the Premiere launch i wa sonly two tuner models. Then they came out with the four tuner Premiere(ELite) in September/October 2011. I then sold most of my lifetime Premieres to cover more the cost of a couple of the lifetime Elites.

nycnetwork
join:2000-11-12
Brooklyn, NY

nycnetwork to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
I've had my mind set on Roamio Plus for a while, but bought SlingBox 350 last night lol.
Really wanted to have the best streaming experience OOH and while on LTE (not just WiFi), especially now that we're getting symmetrical connections.

Considered SlingBox 500 because of that HDMI port, but quickly realized that HDCP is making it useless anyway. Got it for $129 shipped on Amazon.

Sorry for slight off topic.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

Been using a Slingbox 350 with FiOS for nearly two years now. You'll love it. It gives you more than any other platform offers, especially outside the home.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to nycnetwork

Premium Member

to nycnetwork
Yes the SLingbox 350 works great. I got one when they launched in 2012 and am currently using it with one of my TiVo Minis.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

I have one too. Love it. They just came out w/ a wireless version. They also recently fixed the "phantom" Roku sling where I couldn't figure out which of my 5 Rokus I wanted to sling to, they were all just called Roku.

I also use it to watch W7MC stuff saved that is DRM on my PC 3rd monitor thru an xbox extender, and on tabs and sling from iphone.

The ONLY rip is that they make you pony up $20 for iphone AND $20 for ipad. That is beyond ridiculous. I just use the iphone version because it controls slinging.
amro4
join:2008-10-07
Colleyville, TX

amro4 to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
Unless picture quality is different, it looks like this boils down to what is the best monthly rate you can get out of each.

I'm currently using 2 x 3-tuner HD Homerun Primes and I don't like it, as far as picture quality. And I'm tired of messing with a PC and Windows Media Center or XBMC.

So, I'm back to going with either Quantum or TiVo. I've got an old Series 1 TiVo with a lifetime subscription that I can transfer for $200 plus whatever the cost of the box I chose and 1 cable card. Or I go with Quantum TV. FiOS is currently offering new customers 2 years free Quantum TV. Wish they would offer that to us loyal customers who've been with them since day 1 of FiOS.
TazExprez
join:2002-04-27
Yonkers, NY

1 edit

TazExprez

said by amro4:

Unless picture quality is different, it looks like this boils down to what is the best monthly rate you can get out of each.

I'm currently using 2 x 3-tuner HD Homerun Primes and I don't like it, as far as picture quality. And I'm tired of messing with a PC and Windows Media Center or XBMC.

So, I'm back to going with either Quantum or TiVo. I've got an old Series 1 TiVo with a lifetime subscription that I can transfer for $200 plus whatever the cost of the box I chose and 1 cable card. Or I go with Quantum TV. FiOS is currently offering new customers 2 years free Quantum TV. Wish they would offer that to us loyal customers who've been with them since day 1 of FiOS.

I currently have the Quantum Premium TV package, but I am considering switching over to TiVo. I have 2 VMS1100 boxes and 5 IPC1100 boxes. Quantum TV has been running rock solid for me since I got it running right, with both VMS1100 boxes seeing each other. I wonder if I would get the same rock solid and stable performance with 1 TiVo Roamio Plus and 6 TiVo Mini boxes? I would only pay $5.00 for a cable card vs $85.00 for the Quantum Premium TV package. I know that I won't be able to watch TV on all 7 (actually 8) TVs at the same time with this TiVo setup, but that is fine.

I would also need to get 7 Roku 3 boxes to get the VOD I currently have. I might wait until the fall to see if Apple and Roku release newer boxes or firmware updates.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to amro4

to amro4
If you're getting substantially different picture quality on a PC than what you get on a box, you're doing something wrong. My PC looks almost identical to the 6416 I had. Slight edge to the PC because the deinterlacing and scaling is better than what my TV has.
amro4
Colleyville, TX

amro4

said by dfwguy:

If you're getting substantially different picture quality on a PC than what you get on a box, you're doing something wrong. My PC looks almost identical to the 6416 I had. Slight edge to the PC because the deinterlacing and scaling is better than what my TV has.

The quality issue covers a couple of things. If using Windows MC, the picture quality is close to that of the DVR, but not perfect. Also, the picture sometimes pixelates for no apparent reason. I've tried several switches, ethernet cards (the Intel ones giving me the more stable stream), and cables. I've upgraded my cables to quad shielded CAT6 as well. If I use XMBC, I mess around with all the various renderers and decoders till I'm blue in the face, and the image simply does not appear as sharp. I've read of other people encountering the same thing. The PC works great as a player for my Blu-Rays, and I will keep it for that since I have all my movies on a RAID drive and pumping it through Total Media Theater. Oh, and famous WMC 29/59 bug really annoys me.

So, it boils down to cost (for me) assuming the TiVo or Quantum put out a good picture quality.
Bytezboy
join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

Bytezboy to TazExprez

to TazExprez
said by TazExprez:

I currently have the Quantum Premium TV package, but I am considering switching over to TiVo. I have 2 VMS1100 boxes and 5 IPC1100 boxes. Quantum TV has been running rock solid for me since I got it running right, with both VMS1100 boxes seeing each other. I wonder if I would get the same rock solid and stable performance with 1 TiVo Roamio Plus and 6 TiVo Mini boxes? I would only pay $5.00 for a cable card vs $85.00 for the Quantum Premium TV package. I know that I won't be able to watch TV on all 7 (actually 8) TVs at the same time with this TiVo setup, but that is fine.

I would also need to get 7 Roku 3 boxes to get the VOD I currently have. I might wait until the fall to see if Apple and Roku release newer boxes or firmware updates.

You can watch on 6 TVs at the same time with the Tivo.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to amro4

to amro4
I don't know that you'll see anything better with Tivo or Quantum. The pixelation I've seen is conclusively proven to be on Verizon's end. I have a friend in the DC area who also has FiOS, and we trade recordings back and forth (loving that new 75/75 internet) if either of us have a problem or miss something or whatever. Pretty much every problem on a national channel that either of us have is present in the exact same spot for the other. It's not frequent, but it is there, maybe once in every 3 or 4 hours of recordings. Don't know if it's a satellite signal problem or something screwy with Verizon's encoders or what. Some channels (everything Disney including ESPN) are really bad, while we almost never have problems with FX, Comedy Central, or USA.

Best $40 I ever spent was on a fanless Nvidia GT610. No 29/59 problem here.
amro4
Colleyville, TX

amro4

OK. Thanks for that. Sent you an email in regards to HTPC stuff since that's a bit of topic.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
With the new pricing of the TiVo mini as of a few days ago, everything is up in the air. I'd go with the mini for sure.
Mike Wolf

2 edits

Mike Wolf

With TiVo now doing android streaming by the end of the month, I think it'd be a great idea to go with the Stream
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to Sixto

to Sixto
Checked out your list, very cool. Only thing I have to ask is number 8, I thought the Roamio plus and pro supported gigabit.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

They do, but there's a limit to how fast the TiVo will transfer content from the hard disk to your PC. It's around 200Mbps or so.

This is to ensure recording/playback is not impacted while transferring shows - you can actually set all six tuners to channels you don't receive and watch the transfer speeds increase, but you'll eventually be limited by the CPU.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Ah ok. I thought that limitpation was only with the Premiere 4 tuner models. Thanks for the info! Hey I hope the list gets updated to reflect the new functions the recent round of updates brought.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to nycnetwork

to nycnetwork
said by nycnetwork:

I'm also seeing $599 price point with lifetime license. Are there any rumors about the next Tivo?

Well if your looking for something new, the Mega is.
»custom.tivo.com/mega_pro ··· cts.html