Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Proposed Gaming Monitor Setup for Budget Eyefinity

Goal: Upgrade monitors to Eyefinity so I can experience Star Citizen in conjunction with TrackIR (immersion!).

Restrictions:
• Budget is $1000-1200
• Only have two R9 290X's, not going three-way on Z77 (can't do 3x 1600p, unsure of 3x 1440p)

Starting point:

ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor
• Resolution: 1920 x 1080
• Response time: 1ms
• Refresh rate: 144Hz (3D capable)

Thoughts?

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

I'd recommend getting an Ergotech Group Hex Stand. I purchased this when I went three monitors. For $150 it is solid, easy to set up and allows for easy configuration of your monitor's vertical height and tilt adjustment (both horizontal and vertical).

This thread has pictures of what my setup looks like. You'll notice that the right monitor looks to be floating.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Too bad you didn't post that here or in PC Hardware--it would have gotten more traffic

I like the look of that monitor stand....
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

So I think I am ready to pull the trigger, and go for:

• 3x Dell U2414H Black 23.8" 8ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight Height, Pivot, Swivel, Tilt LCD Monitor IPS 250 cd/m2 DCR 2,000,000 (1,000:1)
• 1x Mount-It! Triple Freestanding Monitor Stand for Widescreen Monitors Up to 24"

To run off 290X CF. If I can figure out how to mount a fourth monitor on the top of that monitor stand I'll keep my 20" Apple Cinema Display as a tertiary monitor.

The monitors themselves have HDMI, DP, and mini-DP connections. Apparently you can daisy-chain from a DP-out to a second monitor. Can I just use the DP's on both GPUs to power two of the monitors, and have one monitor power the third? Wondering what I need in terms of cabling...

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
I use 2x DVI and 1x DP for my triple monitor setup.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I am going to try and do 1x HDMI and 1x DP, and run the third with DP from the first DP. Lotsa DP goin on.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord

said by Krisnatharok:

I am going to try and do 1x HDMI and 1x DP, and run the third with DP from the first DP. Lotsa DP goin on.

Since the 290x and the dell monitors both have real DP ports instead of those awful mini-DP ports, you wont have any issue.

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
i'm curious about eyefinity also, but I'm planning on picking up Krisnatharoks 27" Aria monitor to match the one i have currently, but i think this will require upgrading from my X-fired 7950's to run both of the 27" monitors. any thoughts? I currently i have the one 27" 2560x1440 resolution monitor with a 24" 1920x1080 secondary monitor. I only game on the 27" monitor and use the second monitor for TS, etc.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I'd say wait and try it with your 7950s and see what you can do. I am guessing you'll get by if you set all three to 1080p, but you'll want to eventually upgrade and go back up to 1440p for the pixel density at 27".

290s or 290X's would be good choices for powering three 1440's.
Krisnatharok

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

So the tl;dr on the Dell U2414H is that it's a fantastic looking IPS monitor with great colors and brightness, virtually no bezel and a stable base, but the Displayport implementation is fucking atrocious.

The monitor has:
DP in
mini-DP in
DP out (daisy-chain)
2x HDMI in

In all three monitors, the DP in was non-functional, the DP out was non-functional, and mini-DP in only worked on 1 monitor. Daisychaining is non-functional on all three monitors.

Because all three cards have to be plugged into the same GPU for Eyefinity to work, I went with 1x mDP-to-DP, 1x HDMI, and 1x HDMI-to-DVI (adapter). I really pissed and will be talking to Dell, but I don't expect much help as they are pretty quiet on this subject: »en.community.dell.com/su ··· 839.aspx

That said, once I got everything up and running, it looks amazing:

Screenie:

Potato pic:

I'm still learning tips and tricks of Eyefinity, so if anyone has any tips on reducing the distortion at the edges (especially in BF4), please let me know. It looks like looking through a fish-eye lens!

TigerLord

Canada

2 recommendations

TigerLord to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Those slim bezels though... sexy as hell!

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Congrats! It's looks awesome. That sux about dell, hopefully dealing with them is not too painful. Benchmark Crysis 3 for me! I wanna see what those 290x's can do. I tried it back when I had crossfired 7950's overclocked to hell and I immediately hit the VRAM cap. I couldn't get over 10 fps with all the settings turned up no matter what I did. Lol.

Mentat
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Houston, TX

Mentat to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Gorgeous.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Awesome man.

Glad you went with the IPS monitors over that TN trash.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Moos

Premium Member

to Moos
Any idea what FOV should be in a shooter? BF4 can go up to 120 degrees, but it looks like a bubble. I was 95 on one monitor, and tried 105 with three, but still looks bubbly.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Any idea what FOV should be in a shooter? BF4 can go up to 120 degrees, but it looks like a bubble. I was 95 on one monitor, and tried 105 with three, but still looks bubbly.

Watch this.....

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ic3whaHE

Jay from Jayztwocents on Youtube just did this video recently on Surround/Eyefinity. He basically said that after going surround for FPS games, actually hurt his game play performance. No matter what FoV was set to, the side panels are always stretched so far out that it makes getting targets on those games very difficult and just screwed with his hand eye coordination over single display.

His opinion on surround for playing simulators though, is that it's totally worth the money.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Wow, very nice Kris!

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
If you haven't already you should check out Wide Screen Gaming. They have a lot of info on eyefinity and specific game setups that may help you out.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
There was a post on r/Pcmasterrace recently where a guy was running a non stretched resolution at a certain FoV setting across his 3 monitors. He posted some pictures of it running BF4.

It looked absolutely bad ass. I can't find it though

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I could try them in portrait Eyefinity. I don't know how well that would work though.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Click for full size
This isn't the exact picture, but it was something similar to this on Reddit. The bottom with 270 degree FoV across 3 screens looks so much better to me. Can you setup a customer FoV in BF4 through file changes?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Ah, i remember that. Pretty that got debunked as a hoax.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos

Premium Member

Try low a low setting like 60. It should reduce the fisheye look.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Like Tiger, I really like the ultra thin bezels, but in order to get some decent looking FPS action the way to go is supposedly portrait mode, so I don't know if you're willing to try that and report back.

Either way, that's a fuckin' hawt setup. Good job!

EQ

hsindogg
Premium Member
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD

hsindogg to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Kris, which stand did you end up getting? I was also about to pull the trigger on 3x U2414's and came upon the DP issues.

The stand in your pic looks to be a flat, squarish base vs the Mount-It! U-shaped base. I hate the U-shaped bases, and prefer the flat square ones, similar to the Dell dual monitor stands.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I got a stand, but haven't set it up yet as the included monitor stands are pretty awesome. I'd like to eventually use a Mount-It! stand to put a fourth tertiary monitor above the center one, however.