uniqs
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to BAINCH

to BAINCH

Re: Internet speeds take time to peak

Nice post Bainch

What would be nice is a roll out schedule for the markets. I still have yet to see anything more than 4/1 bonded channels

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to Riverpilot

to Riverpilot
said by Riverpilot:

Hate to say it Lazy. But if you're on the 50 package (unless you're one who is being bumped to 100?) You're not going to see a "BIG improvement", in terms of speed.

I do not Know what speed I am entitled to now. Here is a quote from an IM I sent MCChad yesterday. He never gave me an answer.:

"I got an email on 6-10-14 from MC which says "We have increased the speed of your Mediacom always faster Internet service! You now have download speeds up to 150 Mbps and upload speeds up to 10 Mbps!" On 6-26-14 I got an email from MC which says "We have increased the speed of your Mediacom always faster Internet service! You now have download speeds up to 100 Mbps and upload speeds up to 10 Mbps!" I have been paying for 50 mbps service. So my question is: what am I supposed to get now? 100 or 150 mbps?"

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Lazy Senior, I am showing that you are subscribed to our Ultra service, with the speed increase, you would be receiving up to 100 Mbps DL and up to 10 Mbps UL.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to Lazy Senior

to Lazy Senior
I got those same 2 emails. first was the 150/10 next was 100/10. I was one of those people who was upgraded to 105/10 because I was going to pay the same as 105/10 after my promo.

BAINCH
MVM
join:2003-04-02
Blooming Grove, NY

BAINCH to GLIMMER

MVM

to GLIMMER
said by GLIMMER:

What would be nice is a roll out schedule for the markets. I still have yet to see anything more than 4/1 bonded channels

I'm working on that but it will probably take the form of announcing markets as they are completed. If we provide an actual calendar, then miss a date by a week, it seems to generate more grief that is solves.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

hey telling us there completed is a great thing. I understand the actual calender thing.

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

Lazy Senior, I am showing that you are subscribed to our Ultra service, with the speed increase, you would be receiving up to 100 Mbps DL and up to 10 Mbps UL.

Well I installed my new Moto 6141 modem thru the walledgarden. It got activated fine. I am not impressed with speeds. It is about the same as my old 6121. Only 4 channels are bonded and the signal levels are about the same as old 6121 modem. You said I needed at least a 5 channel modem to use my new 100 mbps service. I bought a 8 channel modem and it is not any faster than the old 4 channel modem. In fact it looks slower compared to my previous post in this thread. Am I surprised? NO! Is this as good as it gets? If so I should have just kept the Moto 6121.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello, I am not showing anything that would cause slow speeds. I would be happy to schedule someone out to your home to investigate this for you. May I set that up for you.

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by MediacomChad:

I would be happy to schedule someone out to your home to investigate this for you. May I set that up for you.

Sure. I doubt it will help though, I have "some" past experience with local techs. FWIW I had better, more constant and reliable speeds "before" the "upgrade". IOW my old 50 mbps service was faster than my new and improved 100mbps service...

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Sounds good, I'll get a technician visit setup for you and once I have it all scheduled I will send you a private message with the details.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to RyanThaDude

to RyanThaDude

wow now give me bonding above 4 channels

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

I'll get a technician visit setup for you

Put a hold on the tech visit.

Here is my speed tests this morning with the new Moto 6141. If it stays like this I can live with it.. :> My new modem is only bonding 4 channels, I assume my area does not support more than 4 bonding yet? I notice that the upload speed is much improved over my old 6121 modem.

k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

1 edit

k9iua6 to Lazy Senior

to Lazy Senior
said by Lazy Senior:

FWIW I had better, more constant and reliable speeds "before" the "upgrade". IOW my old 50 mbps service was faster than my new and improved 100mbps service...

I am not surprised. It is not like Mediacom is putting all Launch users on one channel, all Prime users on another channel, and all Ultra users on their own 4-5 channels. Instead we are all mixed together. When you are running on bonded channels, you are getting slices of differing sizes on each of the channels for any particular transfer. Unless the load is equally balanced among all the channels (which it can't be) and identically synchronized in time (which also can't be), your slices on each channel are of different sizes and available at slightly different times, to piece together any particular transfer of substantial size. This is because your transfer is being pieced in around other scheduled transfers on the channels involved. The juggling acts becomes more complicated with each additional channel added. What all the cable providers are counting on are the intermittent nature of us users in not all trying to access the channels at the same time and large gaps being available between requests that bonded channels can fill. The more constant traffic introduced by the nature of video streaming, regardless of which speed tier, is both good and bad in this scenario.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to Lazy Senior

Premium Member

to Lazy Senior
Those are good speeds! You would be correct in saying that the channels haven't been added yet. If you have any other questions or issues, please let me know.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to Lazy Senior

to Lazy Senior
your maxing out that upstream channel hehe. It amazes me that mediacom could not have had 8/4 channel bonding installed 2 years ago when these markets went d3