IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Equipment] Thinking of upgrading my MiFi

I'm thinking of buying a new MiFi as my contract is up for renewal.

Any thoughts on which one I should buy?

Which one is the most reliable, and I would like to be able to use partner networks if I happen to travel to rural parts of Iowa (may need 3G fallback).

I currently have the MiFi 4510L.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

MHS291L - best hotspot they have with the most frequencies

For your rural travels, get a magnetic antenna for your roof and an adapter and that should help you get better signal strength.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

I agree with kevnich on the Pantech MHS291L, Problem free with incredible battery life

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

3 edits

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Edit: forgot to upload picture

And I also disconnected the built in cellular radio on my iPad since I want to use XLTE when I'm connected.

For some reason the rep in the store said a disconnect and an activation is viewed by VZW as fraud.

I added it as a new line so I could get waived activation and when the contract expires on the old one on July 3rd, (that doesn't work that well) I'll just cancel it.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

said by IowaCowboy:

And I also disconnected the built in cellular radio on my iPad since I want to use XLTE when I'm connected.

For some reason the rep in the store said a disconnect and an activation is viewed by VZW as fraud.

Say that again? What do you mean by a disconnect and an activation?

Edit: And yes, the hotspot you got is the correct one. You shouldn't be disappointed. Incredible battery life and supports all frequencies including AWS (XLTE) and has antenna ports on either side of the device. I love mine for travelling and mobility

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

The rep said that if you disconnect another line (let's say another device on the same account) and activate a new device in a short time frame they view it as fraud. I don't know where that comes from and I don't see that in the customer agreement.

I wanted to disconnect the iPad and use the hotspot.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

The rep said that if you disconnect another line (let's say another device on the same account) and activate a new device in a short time frame they view it as fraud. I don't know where that comes from and I don't see that in the customer agreement.

I wanted to disconnect the iPad and use the hotspot.

You fell for a line of BS designed to keep you from cancelling a line.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
any particular reason you want to use the hotspot instead of the iPad? The iPad can be a hotspot as well if it has a VZ sim in it.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by Jim_in_VA:

any particular reason you want to use the hotspot instead of the iPad? The iPad can be a hotspot as well if it has a VZ sim in it.

Cost and I want to use the laptop on the go. I also want to free up cash so I can use my home phone router as a second home phone with a Cedar Rapids, IA area code (319) number.

I already have the device but changed the number to a 319 area code number.

I have a few contacts out there that are still paying long distance charges on their phones and they never call me, I call them (one being a former neighbor on a fixed income).

I've just got to call VZW and turn on the home phone but I may leave it data only for a few days so the previous number's holder's debt collectors and other contacts will get the disconnect tone saying the number can't accept incoming calls.