Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

2 recommendations

Napsterbater

MVM

[Rant] People/support blaming issues on IPv6 that have no connection possible

quote:
From what I can see of your logs, it looks like you may have some issues running IPv6 and being on a non-public DNS. Can you turn off IPv6 and swap to a public DNS here with these guides?

Are you fucking kidding me?

That is the response to a Support ticket I placed Riot Games about the League of Legends launcher causing a full system hard lock on my system and finding another person in the forums with the same motherboard with the same problem.

So many people are quick to blame IPv6 for all of their issues but how in the hell does either IPv6 or choice of DNS servers cause a system to hard lock.

At worst connectivity problems meh ok id would give them that but this is not connectivity problems.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

1 recommendation

moes

Premium Member

sounds like they are using a bit of dated information then or the idiot you dealt with does not thing "ipv6" is real or well, we will just go with idiots anycase.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

1 recommendation

MacGyver to Napsterbater

to Napsterbater
Hey, this sounds goofy, but I came across this event ID while troubleshooting my Win7Pro PC yesterday.
quote:
Event ID 1014: Microsoft Windows DNS Client

Customers have reported the following scenarios as possible causes for this event:

- TCP/IP Offload is enabled for a network adapter
- TCP/IP v6 is enabled and their ISP does not yet support TCP/IP v6.
- The spanning tree "portfast" setting is not enabled on your servers switch ports.
- Router and PC communicating on different channel or standard.
Turns out I had enabled IPv6 because I was testing my ISP's IPv6 configuration with a special PPPoE login, but stopped because the ping times weren't great. I disabled IPv6 and lo and behold, the errors stopped!

So there may be some merit to what you had described, just that the support person had difficulty expressing that to you.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey

Premium Member

So a DNS problem now causes windoze to lock up hard? Wow, I didn't realize their DRM was so restrictive.

/M

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver

Hey, if I can brick a motherboard by changing the device boot order, then anything is possible!