join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

Seems sort of useless, no?
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to matcarl

to matcarl
Another marketing con job. Just like HD Radio! No thank you.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to matcarl

Premium Member

to matcarl
Hopefully it isn't used as an excuse to raise the bill.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to limegrass69

Premium Member

to limegrass69
said by limegrass69:

I was thinking the same thing since both parties have to have Optimum Voice and you need to that special phone. How much clearer could the person sound anyway? But I saw the article and figured I would post it.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to limegrass69

to limegrass69
said by limegrass69:

Seems like they replaced their optimum voice backend and are marketing something that was added with the new switch. They probably didn't upgrade their hardware for the feature but figured market the feature anyway.
root
join:2002-12-11

root

said by matcarl:

said by limegrass69:

I was thinking the same thing since both parties have to have Optimum Voice and you need to that special phone. How much clearer could the person sound anyway? But I saw the article and figured I would post it.

It uses the G.722 codec where currently your phone calls use G.711 mu-law. Think of it as a regular call versus a FaceTime audio call if you have an iPhone.
said by majortom1029:

said by limegrass69:

Seems like they replaced their optimum voice backend and are marketing something that was added with the new switch. They probably didn't upgrade their hardware for the feature but figured market the feature anyway.

No hardware on the switching side was added/replaced as part of this. It's a matter of engineering the required changes with already existing hardware/software. More or less flipping switches and testing (for the most part.)

With that being said it's currently only turned up in Litchfield county, CT.

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost to matcarl

Anon

to matcarl
The phrase "who cares?" comes to mind.
broadbandmav
join:2014-01-08
New Rochelle, NY

broadbandmav to matcarl

to matcarl
HD Sunglasses anyone?

»www.asseenontv.com/hd-vi ··· p=449753

Phil BK
Premium Member
join:2002-05-18
Brooklyn, NY

Phil BK to matcarl

Premium Member

to matcarl
I think it's pretty funny. Even if the voice quality is amazing, like others have said its kind of a "who cares?" improvement. In fact, when I was in an office where they changed from an older PBX system to new IP phones, the call quality change was so dramatic that it had the opposite effect. People thought it was "too real" and didn't like how it sounded.

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost

Anon

Bandwidth of 180 Hz to 3200 Hz with a SNR of 45 dB works perfectly fine for voice.

With so many people using cell phones with even worse quality, there's no point in improving the 180-3200 bandwidth.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to matcarl

Premium Member

to matcarl
Did anybody get this yet?
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

You wouldn't know unless you were talking to somebody else whos phone had the capability also.
root
join:2002-12-11

root to WK2

to WK2
said by WK2:

Did anybody get this yet?

It's in Litchfield County, Connecticut only at the moment.
megalosaurus
join:2000-11-29
North Salem, NY

megalosaurus to matcarl

to matcarl
It is an idea whose time has come - should have happened years ago. But it's going to be slow to roll out if you have to pay extra for it, and buy a special phone, and can only talk with people who also have the service. And there's the question of whether there's a real market for it. If the public really cared about audio quality in their phone calls, they would be out rioting in the streets over the garbled squawking noises that pass for voices on their mobile phone calls.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to matcarl

to matcarl
So that's why I now have trouble understanding my caller with all of the new static. Can you hear me now? And we now get dropped calls too.